Made the jump from 10's to 11's....

companyman

• Members

12's to tune standard? i wouldnt recommend it, must be like taking your neck for a walk in Hell. i use 12's, but i tune to Open B.

no he won't, most Jazz guys that I know use 13s with a wound 3rd - in standard.

I did it myself for about 2 years. You don't cause neck problems by using heavier gauge strings.

I'd imagine 12s to be little flappy at open B no?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use 11s with a wound G on all my guitars except my duo sonic (it's strung with 12s!). I've never turned back...better sound, easier for me to play...and I tune to E standard.

I have my duo-sonic strung with 12s as the moment. Really love the sound.

• Members

I went on that path for a while, and was playing .13's in standard, but it got to bee too much. My favorite compromise are Ernie Ball's Skinny Top Heavy Bottom .10-.52's. Which is pretty much the E-A-D from a set of .12's and the G-B-E from a set of tens. Although I play mostly rhythm and have a pretty heavy pick attack.

• Members

it was a very easy adjustment to the .11's, the tonal difference is pretty significant. I don't think I have a need to jump to .12's...guess I am just not that macho, but a wound G might be interesting!

A wound G can be a mother{censored}er if you bend a lot. I bent the G more than I realised until I tried it out.

A plain G has the lowest tension of any string (and is more susceptible to going out of tune) whilst a wound G has the highest tension of any of your strings.

• Members

I am going to give it a day, giving the neck some time to get used to the added tension, and check the intonation and truss rod. I have read that usually one gauge up is ok, but 2 up and you have to start making adjustments.

I have 12s at E on an Epi Dot and it just starts to have some natural relief. I have 14 thru 22 plains and the wounds from a 12 set on a Carvin Bolt and same thing. Maybe a little on the truss rod. 11s should present no problem unless you have a Floyd. The only issue you my have is more buzz from the 12th fret up. Oh, and you may need to widen the nut slots.

Archived