Made the jump from 10's to 11's....

companyman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:thu:

I love 11s. Been using them for a couple of years now. I put a 9-46 set on my squier strat (first guitar) the other day because I had them lying around and couldn't justify using my 11s on a guitar that I don't use regularly. I can't stand them. They just feel so awkward to play now, and there's no substance to the feel or sound.

• Members

my firebird's pickups are really low output, so I think that the extra metal moving around above them is making my tone fuller, especially with the bridge pickup by itself....it is pretty weak sounding with 10's.

I've been using 12s on my standard tuned Firebird for two years. I dig it. I'm never afraid of breaking a string, and everything is nice and full sounding. I only have problems if I slack off on practicing and let my hands get out of shape. Then it gets a little rough, but after a few days, I'm right back up to speed.

I've never understood the "it's gonna damage your guitar" argument. Acoustics routinely use strings in that guage range, and are inherently a more fragile instrument. They seem to handle the string tension just fine.

• Members

I am going to give it a day, giving the neck some time to get used to the added tension, and check the intonation and truss rod.
I have read that usually one gauge up is ok, but 2 up and you have to start making adjustments.

How true is this? I've been thinking of switching my tele from 10 to 11's but I'm worried I have to make some adjustments if I decide to do so...any more info?

• Members

How true is this? I've been thinking of switching my tele from 10 to 11's but I'm worried I have to make some adjustments if I decide to do so...any more info?

well, I am sure that it is guitar dependent, but I have read that a tweak of the truss rod is often needed, and some adjustments to the saddles for intonation...but can't say for sure yet, it takes a while for the neck to settle in to different tensions I suspect.

• Members

I find that the sort of blanket statement approach to something with as many different variables as a guitar is usually incorrect. I always double check my own gear if I make any changes, and usually once a month 'just because.' Weather fluctuation, wear and tear, general playing... all of this tends to knock my guitars around a little, so I find it best just to check and make sure they're in good working order.

• Members

I find that the sort of blanket statement approach to something with as many different variables as a guitar is usually incorrect. I always double check my own gear if I make any changes, and usually once a month 'just because.' Weather fluctuation, wear and tear, general playing... all of this tends to knock my guitars around a little, so I find it best just to check and make sure they're in good working order.

I don't mind messing with the saddles if I hear a slight intonation problem but the truss rod...well, I'm not that confident hehe

thanks for the info

• Members

12's to tune standard? i wouldnt recommend it, must be like taking your neck for a walk in Hell. i use 12's, but i tune to Open B.

I use 12s in standard on my Jazzmaster, never had a problem. I had it set up by a professional luthier and he never mentioned to me that it would be a problem. Also, I was under the impression that in the 50s and early 60s they didn't have anything lighter than 12s anyway.

Oh and IIRC Sheryl Bailey uses 13s on her guitar in standard tuning. I'm sure a lot of jazz cats do.

• Members

I played a buddy's guitar with 11's back when I first started playing guitar. I had 9's on mine at the time (this was back when I could count songs I knew on one hand), and those 11's felt stiff as all get out. I couldn't bend at all.

Now I have flatwound 11's on my hollow body, but 10's on everything else.

Archived