what's the general consensus on behringer stuff?

hosebeast

• Members

i own three of their pedals - the us600(ps-5 clone), the rv600(verbzilla clone) and the fd300(boss df-2 clone), and couldn't be happier with them. i've owned all the pedals that they're modeled after, and to be honest, can not tell a difference in sound with any of them, save for the not-so-smooth transition from off to on with the us600(messes with yr overall tone when on 2octave up setting). i guess the only real downfall with them is that they're made out of plastic. i've been trying literally for like 2-3 years to find somebody to re-house my us600, but both dudes i've sent it to say that it wouldn't be worth the time/effort/money. tht's a shame, because i'd love to have these things in metal enclosures with a more sturdy switch.

anyway, i saw on another forum where somebody was bashing companies like behringer and avatar because they swoop in underneath "better companies" and sell a mediocre product, therefor cutting away at said better companies' business. i disagree with this, because in certain instances, these pedals are BETTER than the ones that they're modeled after. for example, i can play chords 2 octaves down and have it sound crystal clear on the us600. no warble/crappy mess sound like you get from a ps-5/whammy. from what i understand, finding another octave pedal that does that leads you to either the HOG or the pitchfactor, and both of those cost as much as a used car. with the rv600, i knwo for a fact that if something goes wrong with it, i can send it back to behringer and i'll get a new one in a matter of days, no questions asked. line 6 stuff has literally caught on fire while in my possession and left me with my dick in my hand and my wallet $150 lighter.

so, do you guys think that what they do at behringer is a good thing? do you think that they're a {censored}ty company that rides the coattails of "better" more established companies? why? hurfdapp?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

General consensus is that it's complete garbage.

I like some of the pedals

that's the thing though, they're NOT garbage.

[video=youtube;iSZ5Q1N1KP8]

any person that says they can tell even the slightest difference in sound between these two pedals is a lying turd.

• Members

i own three of their pedals - the us600(ps-5 clone), the rv600(verbzilla clone) and the fd300(boss df-2 clone), and couldn't be happier with them. i've owned all the pedals that they're modeled after, and to be honest, can not tell a difference in sound with any of them, save for the not-so-smooth transition from off to on with the us600(messes with yr overall tone when on 2octave up setting). i guess the only real downfall with them is that they're made out of plastic. i've been trying literally for like 2-3 years to find somebody to re-house my us600, but both dudes i've sent it to say that it wouldn't be worth the time/effort/money. tht's a shame, because i'd love to have these things in metal enclosures with a more sturdy switch.

anyway, i saw on another forum where somebody was bashing companies like behringer and avatar because they swoop in underneath "better companies" and sell a mediocre product, therefor cutting away at said better companies' business. i disagree with this, because in certain instances, these pedals are BETTER than the ones that they're modeled after. for example, i can play chords 2 octaves down and have it sound crystal clear on the us600. no warble/crappy mess sound like you get from a ps-5/whammy. from what i understand, finding another octave pedal that does that leads you to either the HOG or the pitchfactor, and both of those cost as much as a used car. with the rv600, i knwo for a fact that if something goes wrong with it, i can send it back to behringer and i'll get a new one in a matter of days, no questions asked. line 6 stuff has literally caught on fire while in my possession and left me with my dick in my hand and my wallet $150 lighter.

so, do you guys think that what they do at behringer is a good thing? do you think that they're a {censored}ty company that rides the coattails of "better" more established companies? why? hurfdapp?

In terms of all of their products (pedals, mixers, EQ's, etc.), when it comes to sound quality, in my experience doing blind listening tests, they're not as good as the items they're knocking off, but they'll get you about 80% of the way there for about half the price. :o

I don't see Avatar and Behringer being in the same league in terms of sound quality. Avatar delivers a higher level of sonic performance.

In the end, money shouldn't be a factor if tone is your primary consideration...that includes both ends of the price spectrum. Don't spend more than you have to in order to get the sound you want and don't settle for less than you want just to save a few bucks. :o

• Members

any person that says they can tell even the slightest difference in sound between these two pedals is a lying turd.

Just on the first pass through without listening too critically, The Behringer is wetter on the 63 Spring Reverb setting than the Verbzilla. Anyone who can't hear that is a tone deaf ass weasel. :o

• Members

the point here is if you like them, lucky you! your wallet will like you.

they have there crap yes, but they have some gems

i used their boss comp clone for ages (live and studio) it was never close to breaking from what i saw, but that is only my experience, im sure there are horror stories

• Members

General consensus is that it's complete garbage.

I like some of the pedals

I guess I'm one lucky fella, been gigging heavily for almost a year and a half now with my behringer sansamp clone, it stays pretty much on all the time but it has definitely seen some rough nights, hasn't given me any trouble whatsoever.

• Members

My thoughts on them are thus:

- They may NOT break if you so much as look at them, but they feel like they will. They are cheaply made plastic junk. Sure, you can't expect any better for the price really, but the assurance of a reliable, sturdy piece of equipment isn't there.

- Reliability-wise I own three, and only one of them has broken; the DD-3 copy. It actually sounded decent, but it gradually deteriorated as soon as I started using a PSU with it, for some reason. The sound quality became worse and worse, until whether it were switched on or not it would make my rig sound fizzy like a broken FM radio, or a fuzz pedal with virtually no current running to the circuit. I don't know what broke about it, but it broke.

- Sound-wise some of them are pretty good. Not so far from their Boss/Ibanez/other counterparts, particularly considering the price difference. The TO-800 (I think it's a TS clone? )that I have in my attic somewhere is a lot of tubescreamer for

• Members

I've got 3 Behringer pedals, 2 of them I've had for maybe 6 years, 1 for maybe 4 and they still work perfectly. I've also had an FCB1010 MIDI controller, MX882 splitter/mixer and REV2496 reverb processor for around 5 years and they still work perfectly too. The REV2496 is also better than every reverb pedal I've owned or tried and has options and depth that totally outclass a lot of fashion accessory pedals.

At the end of the day they are made to a budget and so the quality of some of the mechanical parts like switches isn't going to be up there with the best, but in my experience that doesn't mean they're going to fail after 5 minutes. Or maybe I'm just more careful with my gear than some other people.

• Members

I have an RV600 that has given me some guff, and that is made out of cheap {censored}, but that sounds quite nice when functioning properly. Oddly, its troubles are more QC-related than mechanical failure-related though. Noise and hiss sorts of issues that feedback from other users would indicate to be somewhat anomalous for the pedal in general. Even if mine was dead quiet though, i would not be inclined to actually step on the thing with any sort of regularity. Very iffy plastic-ness going on.

On the other hand i also have one of the Small Stone copies (VP1 Vintage Phaser) and it is considerably more sturdy with its EH-style metal enclosure and metal jacks and switch, as well as sounding very good with no other caveats. Before buying it, i had heard that the bypass on the pedal was likely to be {censored}, but in practice, i have no complaints whatsoever with anything about the pedal, and have not found it necessary or particularly advisable to change anything about the bypass at all. $40, and easily satisfies my occasional need for a Small Stone phase sound. I am really happy with this pedal, actually a bit more than i was expecting to be.

• Members

As a dealer, the problem I have isn't with the audio quality of the stuff. I've used the mixers live and in the studio and they're really not bad. The problem I have with behringer is 3 things:

1. They are not reliable. I cannot trust, I can't trust that after a ride in a shaky band van that its going to work at the next gig.

2.They blatantly clone other peoples designs.

3. You don't get them fixed, you throw them away. Their designs are not repair tech friendly.

• Members

Well I don't know about 'general consensus' ... but imo they are amazing value for money and I wish they were around in the late 80's early 90's when I first started buying effects. I can remember saving for months just to buy a Boss overdrive (which at the time cost almost as much as my first guitar!) and I had no chance of buying a delay (which were horribly priced back then) ... so yeah, I can totally see why people buy them. The only thing they don't have is any resell value, collectability or exclusivity.... which are things that a lot of people look for.

• Members

The problem I have with behringer is 3 things:

1. They are not reliable. I cannot
trust
, I can't trust that after a ride in a shaky band van that its going to work at the next gig.

3. You don't get them fixed, you throw them away. Their designs are not repair tech friendly.

but to be fair, you can say that about any modern consumer electronics....TV's, home audio gear, dvd players or whatever.... and that's how I see behringer as 'consumer electronics' rather than 'pro audio gear'

• Members

As a dealer, the problem I have isn't with the audio quality of the stuff. I've used the mixers live and in the studio and they're really not bad. The problem I have with behringer is 3 things:

1. They are not reliable. I cannot
trust
, I can't trust that after a ride in a shaky band van that its going to work at the next gig.

Mixer in the studio? really?? after getting my mackie mixer i never touched the euredesk again for recording etc.

for gigs is cool imo ...the crowed is sometims really close on small gigs and i dont want beer in my expensive mixer :)

• Members

but to be fair, you can say that about any modern consumer electronics....TV's, home audio gear, dvd players or whatever.... and that's how I see behringer as 'consumer electronics' rather than 'pro audio gear'

I can't say that about almost every other mixer I sell. Its tough to tell a customer after the warranty has run out that their Mixer is not worth fixing after you sold it to them.

• Members

I don't like berhingers corporate policies. They've been ripping Mackie off for decades, and the pedals are complete knock offs too. I refuse to buy them because they can't manage to come with anything original, and their philosophies on business are horrid.

Jacob

• Members

Mixer in the studio? really?? after getting my mackie mixer i never touched the euredesk again for recording etc.

for gigs is cool imo ...the crowed is sometims really close on small gigs and i dont want beer in my expensive mixer
:)

I didn't have any decent mixers big enough for what I needed to do. DONT JUDGE ME. It turned out fine!

• Members

I don't like berhingers corporate policies. They've been ripping Mackie off for decades, and the pedals are complete knock offs too. I refuse to buy them because they can't manage to come with anything original, and their philosophies on business are horrid.

:confused: Like seriously?

How are the Fuzz Face, Rangemaster and Klon sales coming along?

Archived