Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh demo : the best Muff for the price EVER

nico/atd

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All of the Big Muffs I've played are noisy and take over the amp. The pharoah is quiet and meant to enhance the amps tone, not completely take it over.

Translation: it doesn't use the muff tone stack with the big mid scoop. It's still the same muff sound with different shaping.

• Members
A challenger appears!

2d0217844c043412353b537a5187bb3e.image.5

I really didn't think much of the focus control. The mids were only marginally effected either boosted or scooped and the tone control didn't have much range. Maybe I was doing it wrong? But either way, how much more vesatile is the Pharoah?

• Members

That video is awesome. I especially liked the riffs in "Quiet". I got all kinds of Punkins tones out of it as well as big ass walls of doom. I need to get my {censored} back so I can record a demo clip.I haven't had a Muff w/ Tone Wicker but I've owned the Green Russian muff which doesn't have {censored} on the Pharaoh and the Swollen Pickle. The Swollen Pickle comes close and can get a little more scooped mids and tight for metal riffing but the Pharaoh sounds more natural and cuts through live like a mother{censored}er. I run mine in my bass rig but It sounds {censored}ing awesome on guitar too.

• Members

All of the Big Muffs I've played are noisy and take over the amp. The pharoah is quiet and meant to enhance the amps tone, not completely take it over.

doesn't sound much like a muff to be honest......'enhance the amps tone' seriously?

• Members

My favorite Muff I've used is the Earthbound Audio Supercollider/Beast. I'd like to get another Muff to run with it, one with a bit lower gain with a nice trebley bite to it.

I'm curious about the the Pharaoh though, especially the germanium mode.

Has anyone compared the Pharaoh to the Hoof?

What's your 'favorite'muff StopReferencing? You've been through a couple of them it seems....

I like the real corksniffer ones. Skreddy Mayo and ? Lady.

The Ronsound Hairpie 75 and, to a slightly lesser extent, Hairpie Classic are also very very good, IMO.

• Members

I really didn't think much of the focus control. The mids were only marginally effected either boosted or scooped and the tone control didn't have much range. Maybe I was doing it wrong? But either way, how much more vesatile is the Pharoah?

I think the knobs interact with each other a fair amount so that changes are going to be a little less dramatic just changing one knob at a time, even diming it. The sweep on a couple of the knobs on their own isn't huge, but tweaking Focus, Pre, Tone and Mids I think gives you a huge range of sounds.

I love my Musket, and it's totally silly and superfluous, but man I really want a Pharaoh to use beside it and stack 'em.

• Members

I LOVE my pharaoh.
It's versatile enough to be the only fuzz on my board (from an amp booster to low gain fuzz to sludgey doom {censored}, it does it all)...

but it is so far removed from the "muff" sound that it won't go replacing a skreddy/hoof/musket.
Muffs have something of a clinical tone, that's part of their charm.

None of that here, which could be a good thing or a bad thing.
It isn't the best muff because it just really doesn't sound like one at all to my ears.

The only certain thing is that Mark has an "ear for fuzz" and I eagerly anticipate his new designs.

• Members

None of that here, which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

It isn't the best muff because it just really doesn't sound like one at all to my ears.

glad someone else said it.

if this is the BEST muff clone to you, chances are you just dont like muffs.

glad someone else said it.

if this is the BEST muff clone to you, chances are you just dont like muffs.

Oh cool, you got one? What do you think of it?

Archived