Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh demo : the best Muff for the price EVER

nico/atd

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That video is awesome. I especially liked the riffs in "Quiet". I got all kinds of Punkins tones out of it as well as big ass walls of doom. I need to get my {censored} back so I can record a demo clip.I haven't had a Muff w/ Tone Wicker but I've owned the Green Russian muff which doesn't have {censored} on the Pharaoh and the Swollen Pickle. The Swollen Pickle comes close and can get a little more scooped mids and tight for metal riffing but the Pharaoh sounds more natural and cuts through live like a mother{censored}er. I run mine in my bass rig but It sounds {censored}ing awesome on guitar too.

I'm thinking about upgrading my SP to Pharaoh. Got the SP for $75 @ GC. Stupid price for such a great pedal.

• Members

Ok, so the Algal Bloom came in about 10 minutes after I found a blank video tape. I decided to make a demo of the Pharaoh and decided to throw the Algal Bloom on the board for the hell of it. It's kinda not fair to the Algal Bloom though because I literally spent about 2 minutes with it before I hit the record button and that was mostly to get the volume in line with everything else. This is my first pedal demo so I just stuck to playing one riff so you can get a comparison of all the pedals. I also tried stacking them all together to show different combinations. Don't {censored} on it too much since I'm a noob. Kayzer will be bringing in the badass demo of the Pharaoh once his arrives.

• Members

Conky! Thanks for that, man.

cool demo.

I'm so biased and ruled by my emotions. :(

I guess I have such a soft spot for the Algal Bloom, it's not fair for the Pharaoh. :(

It's funny how similar pedals start to sound in A/B/C/D tests. :lol:

I did the same thing the other day with a bunch of muff clones, a couple rats, and some other dirty odds and ends. When all was said and done, I would be happy with any one of half of the pedals I compared. I guess I should have taped that, huh :(

EDIT: BTW, I'm imagining the doll in your avatar playing the demo, and it's kind of scary, like Child'splay

• Members

Conky! Thanks for that, man.

cool demo.

I'm so biased and ruled by my emotions.
:(

I guess I have such a soft spot for the Algal Bloom, it's not fair for the Pharaoh.

It's funny how similar pedals start to sound in A/B/C/D tests.
:lol:

I did the same thing the other day with a bunch of muff clones, a couple rats, and some other dirty odds and ends. When all was said and done, I would be happy with any one of half of the pedals I compared. I guess I should have taped that, huh

EDIT: BTW, I'm imagining the doll in your avatar playing the demo, and it's kind of scary, like Child'splay

:lol:

No problem. After a while of playing loud they all kinda start running together. The Pharaoh has more bottom end than the Algal Bloom while the AB has more high end. I guess I could have stuck to the Pharaoh and went through a bunch of settings and flipped the switches around. There are definitely more tones in it that what I had there., but like I said, I'm sure Kayzer will cover all of the ground with his demo. I just left it where I liked the sound. The Bazz Fuss has different value caps and an led in place of the diode and I just tried setting it to where it sounded the closest to the Pharaoh. I need to spend more time with the Algal Bloom thats for sure. I'm sure it's gonna be a keeper on my board right next to the Pharaoh.

• Members
I'm just not very blown away by the Pharaoh demos

It sounds more like my Algal Bloom than any of my Muff Clones.

I've been REALLY happy with Wren & Cuff and Stomp Under Foot.
:idk:

This current buying frenzy is going to result in LOTS of Pharaohs in the classified.

Agree.

• Members

I spent more time with the Algal Bloom last night and the Pharaoh just {censored}s all over it. The Algal Bloom is good, but the Pharaoh can cover that ground and then some (higher and lower gain). I only have a Rat to stack with them but the Algal Bloom doesn't stack well with it. It doesn't like the Pharaoh either, all of the low end drops. The Pharaoh also has a ton more volume and low end on tap too. I don't think I'm gonna get rid of the Algal Bloom anytime soon because I like it and I can get some cool tones from it but If I had to choose just one it would be the Pharaoh.

EDIT: Just spent the last hour running the Algal Bloom into the Pharaoh. They stack well in that order but the other way around doesn't stack well. That is how I was running it before I made that post.

• Members

I spent more time with the Algal Bloom last night and the Pharaoh just {censored}s all over it. The Algal Bloom is good, but the Pharaoh can cover that ground and then some (higher and lower gain). I only have a Rat to stack with them but the Algal Bloom doesn't stack well with it. It doesn't like the Pharaoh either, all of the low end drops. The Pharaoh also has a ton more volume and low end on tap too. I don't think I'm gonna get rid of the Algal Bloom anytime soon because I like it and I can get some cool tones from it but If I had to choose just one it would be the Pharaoh.

Thank you for justifying my purchase :lol:

• Members

It has a good bit of mids and presence. the tone knob on the right can be used to dial in the amount of presence that you want while the one on the left is the traditional tone knob. they're both pretty interactive also so there are tons of sounds that can be had from it.

Archived