Happy St Patrick's Day

mr benn

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
INSIDE the Building?
:love:
Honestly they'd be better off moving my desk down to the bar if that was the case!!

Yep, just 4th floors down an elevator and I'm there. Pretty nice place, always have Smithwicks and Guiness on tap, and few others too.

• Members
Lot's of people do go out for it here but the places that they converge are a hell of long bar queues and tossers wearing huge Guinness hats in tacky faux Irish pubs. {censored} that noise.

Double quoted for truth's.

I stick to my favoured little Irish pubs with family and old mates normally, but rehearsals tonight :(

• Members

{censored}ing amateur night. I have to work tonight and will most likely have to clean up vomit. People are like "I like doing car bombs on St. Patty's day." Bitch I do them in any month ending in 'ember. Guiness is ass. Irish food is for peasants. Green is my favorite color though...

I'm really glad I don't have to work any of my bar jobs tonight.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but isn't this a celebration of Catholicism chasing the original heathen/pagan followers out of Ireland?

As I mentioned earlier, one of my ancestors was baptized by Saint Patrick and is considered the "first Christian king of Munster". Prior to that time, my ancestors were NOT Christians... so to answer your question, St Paddy didn't run them out of Ireland, he converted them. Maybe not all of them, and certainly not by himself (there were other Christian monks in Ireland in the 5th century), and it was certainly a process that occurred over decades / centuries, but the Christian conversion of Ireland is a far different history than the later Norman invasion of the 11-12th centuries, and the Protestant / Catholic troubles of the 1600s - onwards.

What St. Patrick is credited with is casting the snakes out of Ireland, but that's actually mythical, since post Ice Age Ireland probably never had any snakes. Some scholars believe this is possibly an allegorical reference to the snake symbols of the Druids... but again, the conversion of Ireland to Christianity was mostly peaceful, as opposed to later conflicts with religious overtones, which most definitely were not.

{censored}ing amateur night. I have to work tonight and will most likely have to clean up vomit. People are like "I like doing car bombs on St. Patty's day." Bitch I do them in any month ending in 'ember. Guiness is ass. Irish food is for peasants. Green is my favorite color though...

1. People should know, and respect their limitations when it comes to drinking.

2. If YOU have to clean up after them when they don't - mojo sent. :freak::(

3. Guinness on-tap is nectar of the gods.

4. What passes in America as "Irish food" is somewhat fictional. Corned beef and cabbage is a Irish-American tradition, not really an Irish one. I do love it though. :)

• Members

2. If YOU have to clean up after them when they don't - mojo sent.
:freak::(
3. Guinness
on-tap
is nectar of the gods.

4. What passes in America as "Irish food" is somewhat fictional. Corned beef and cabbage is a Irish-American tradition, not really an Irish one. I do love it though.
:)

The unfortunate things are

1. People who dont no their limitations like to drink on these drinking holidays

2. I'm a busser, so it's my job to clean stuff up

3. Bad taps

4. meh

• Members

Not only am I, as my Grandmother likes to say, "Irish as Paddy's pig", but I was blessed with green eyes. I'm
always
wearing the green.

I may have a Guinness today, but I won't be getting drunk, and I sure won't be wearing any stupid getups.
:lol:
But thanks for the thought, and a happy Saint Patrick's Day to you too sir!
:wave:

Haha... Neither will I. Even if I were of that inclination, the drunken debauchery and stupid getup-wearing that will likely be taking place in Britain's city centres as I type this doesn't bear thinking about. And that's not even in Ireland. :lol:

Although I did buy two pints of Guinness (I love the stuff, but I can't afford much beer), one of which I'm drinking now. Out of my Ikea tankard that cost more than the contents. :lol:

Anyway, a very merry St. Paddy's day to ye Phil! :wave:

• Members

2. If YOU have to clean up after them when they don't - mojo sent.
:freak::(
3. Guinness
on-tap
is nectar of the gods.

4. What passes in America as "Irish food" is somewhat fictional. Corned beef and cabbage is a Irish-American tradition, not really an Irish one. I do love it though.

True dat. :love:

Archived