Happy St Patrick's Day

mr benn

• Members

As I mentioned earlier, one of my ancestors was baptized by Saint Patrick and is considered the "first Christian king of Munster". Prior to that time, my ancestors were NOT Christians... so to answer your question, St Paddy didn't run them out of Ireland, he converted them. Maybe not all of them, and certainly not by himself (there were other Christian monks in Ireland in the 5th century), and it was certainly a process that occurred over decades / centuries, but the Christian conversion of Ireland is a far different history than the later Norman invasion of the 11-12th centuries, and the Protestant / Catholic troubles of the 1600s - onwards.

What St. Patrick is credited with is casting the
snakes
out of Ireland, but that's actually mythical, since post Ice Age Ireland probably never had any snakes. Some scholars believe this is possibly an allegorical reference to the snake symbols of the Druids... but again, the conversion of Ireland to Christianity was mostly peaceful, as opposed to later conflicts with religious overtones, which most definitely were not.

Yeah, the possible allegorical reference is specifically what I was referring to. As well as the mythology, which I have heard before. It's not something I know much about or pretend to know about.

I do know it's a {censored}ty night to work in most bars. Or drink at most bars. Wicker Park here in Chicago was apparently a blood bath on Saturday, from what I'm told. Fights all over the place.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1. People should know, and respect their limitations when it comes to drinking.

2. If YOU have to clean up after them when they don't - mojo sent.
:freak::(
3. Guinness
on-tap
is nectar of the gods.

4. What passes in America as "Irish food" is somewhat fictional. Corned beef and cabbage is a Irish-American tradition, not really an Irish one. I do love it though.
:)

I agree with all of this. You ever get over to Ireland? If so, tell me when, we'll lift a few pints together. Cheers.

Yeah, the possible allegorical reference is specifically what I was referring to. As well as the mythology, which I have heard before. It's not something I know much about or pretend to know about.

Pre-Christian Irish history and mythology is still alive and well in Ireland. :)

As far as the Irish-Americans and fights, well... ;)

Not that I condone such things. Or partake in them. Or want to justify any potential stereotypes. :)

• Members

Man I had to hear so much dumb{censored} faux-irish music yesterday. {censored} the drop kick murphys. Just because they're from boston, and I'm from boston doesn't mean I should like that audible diarrhea. On the plus side I got a $17 ski ticket at mt. snow.

Archived