Pedlulz for teh brootz?

thom

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Other cheaper alternatives are the Rocktron Metal Planet (under $50) and the Hardwire TL-2 ) $100 new. I still have my MP somewhere, I thought it was easily better than the Metalzone. Not a small pedal though. But no noise with this pedal, even with the gain cranked. 2 mids control give you quite a variety of tones.

That's the sorta cheapo suggestions I was going for, I'll keep me eyes open for those. Thanks for the tip.

And btw, I've got the fuzz part covered, my Swollen Pickle is all I need in de fuzz departement at the moment. Sounds killer with a hint of my amp's distortion or stacked with my ruetz'd rat.

• Members

Want some killer brutal tone? Hook this bad boy up to 2 amps! :cool:

I love this pedal!

It has a cool stereo doubling effect ...... which is just a short delay if you run it mono.

It also has two chorus modes which sound really huge in stereo.

DSC05598.jpg

• Members

Want some killer brutal tone? Hook this bad boy up to 2 amps!
:cool:

I love this pedal!

It has a cool stereo doubling effect ...... which is just a short delay if you run it mono.

It also has two chorus modes which sound really huge in stereo.

DSC05598.jpg

Different strokes I guess...

Cause judging on ALL the youtube clips I just found this has got to THE cheapest thinnest lamest sounding fizz box out there that's marketed as a metal distortion. Have to admit, the pore playing in this particular clip doesn't help either.

Thanks all the same though, appreciate the input.

• Members

Okay, I decided I'm gonna settle for the {censored} I already have, and make do with amp sims and stacked pedals. One of these days I'm gonna get me the least expensive decent amp that's up for the job (mesa single recto? Peavey 5150?) and forget about pedlulz altogether...

• Members

ART Xtreme circa 1996 remains probably the best distortion pedal I've ever owned. The Korg HyperDistortion is probably a close second, but of course both have been discontinued for many years. Regardless, the trick has been finding a pedal with a good built-in EQ with both midrange and mid sweep/freq/whatever controls. For $90 or so, I picked up an MXR Fullbore that does a pretty decent job too (plus has a built-in noise gate) but for any serious attempt at getting good tone from a pedal, I still prefer to run a separate EQ pedal with it. Although I'm using amp distortion most of the time now, running my ART Xtreme with an Electro-Harmonix Tube EQ into a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp sounds incredible. I gigged with that setup for quite some time.

The HM-2 is a really cool pedal when used correctly, but frankly I don't think it's going to satisfy most metalheads these days. I like it in more of a backing role, for doubling parts recorded with tighter, more precise tones. It's very fuzzy on its own, but for single-note riffing ala At the Gates or Carcass, it goes well over another guitar track.

• Members

Okay, I decided I'm gonna settle for the {censored} I already have, and make do with amp sims and stacked pedals. One of these days I'm gonna get me the least expensive decent amp that's up for the job (mesa single recto? Peavey 5150?) and forget about pedlulz altogether...

That's seriously the only option for playing brutal stuff live. There are a few pedals that do a decent enough job that you could gig with but they're all in the $300+ range (Triple Wreck, Openhaus, Dominator, etc.). Even then, you're going to want a high wattage tube amp and at least a 2x12 to play live... at that point you might as well just get a real amp to begin with.

For bedroom playing your best option is amp sims or a POD X3. The X3 will blow away any pedal for high gain brutal stuff.

You didn't fill out your location but if you're in the states you can get an Ampeg VH140c, Peavey XXX, or 5150 for way less than $500. {censored}loads of big bands use those three amps.

• Members

The Hardwire TL-2 is a great pedal for the money. I've tested it against a lot of pedals and it puts out pretty nicely. They did a really good job on that pedal but people just don't like the name Digitech.

If you REALLY want brootz, you'll get an amp. I've got an Ampeg VH140c. Rox!

• Members

That's seriously the only option for playing brutal stuff live. There are a
few
pedals that do a decent enough job that you could gig with but they're all in the $300+ range (Triple Wreck, Openhaus, Dominator, etc.). Even then, you're going to want a high wattage tube amp and at least a 2x12 to play live... at that point you might as well just get a real amp to begin with.

For bedroom playing your best option is amp sims or a POD X3. The X3 will blow away any pedal for high gain brutal stuff.

You didn't fill out your location but if you're in the states you can get an Ampeg VH140c, Peavey XXX, or 5150 for way less than $500. {censored}loads of big bands use those three amps.

A brutal tone I can play live with would be a nice bonus, but for now I'd be more then happy with a budget-friendly bedroom rig. That being said, I do already own a 100watt toob head and a pretty decent 4X12 cab. It's not your typical brootalz gear though, and even though it can come close with some of the pedals I have now, the sounds I get out of guitar rig 3 are definatelly far superior and Diezel-ish in terms of insane gain or middsy Adam Jones type of crunch.

I'm in Europe btw, and I doubt it'd be possible to score a 5150 for "way les then $500" around here, but I agree it'd still make more sense to spend $700 or even more on something like that, then to spend $300 on a pedal that *almost* nails it, at best.

On a side not, if I do end up deciding on spending a bit more on another amp...Isn't there anything low wattage/price out there that could be regarded as a mini-brootalz rig? A more gainy version of those Egnater, Jet City style amps, something else, something new maybe? I'm googling as I'm typing this, so I might find my own answers soon, but some extra help would be appreciated. Cheers.

• Members

I'm in Europe btw, and I doubt it'd be possible to score a 5150 for "way les then $500" around here, but I agree it'd still make more sense to spend $700 or even more on something like that, then to spend $300 on a pedal that *almost* nails it, at best.

On a side not, if I do end up deciding on spending a bit more on another amp...Isn't there anything low wattage/price out there that could be regarded as a mini-brootalz rig? A more gainy version of those Egnater, Jet City style amps, something else, something new maybe? I'm googling as I'm typing this, so I might find my own answers soon, but some extra help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Yeah Peavey and Mesa are both pretty absurd in Europe but you do have other brands available at decent prices. Engl and Blackstar would be good choices.

For low wattage high gain amps the Blackstar HT-5 is generally well regarded for metal. A lot of people in the amps forum use them and have posted recordings.

• Members

I searched for a good metal pedal long ago and never found one. I was after a good NIN, Tool, Deftones type sound but never found anything. I've used a muff and it's o.k. but it get's kind of mushy and the note separation doesn't fly.

• Members

For cheap?

The Metal Muff was surprisingly good. Reasonably tight, and the "right" voicing. Will be way better than the Tube Zone. While a nice pedal, it was lacking any "aggression." MM is like what the Metal Zone should always have been.

Pick the one with the features you want and stop starting high-gain pedal threads.

:)

• Members

I only own single coil geetars btw, which seems like a bit of a handicap for the type of tone I'm after.

You should seriously consider using humbuckers for the high gain tones you're looking for. You say it's a bit of a handicap but IMO it's a major handicap.

• Members

If you move the middle tone control to the bridge on a strat, rolling the knob down to around 4 will fatten it a bit.

Also, saving up for a decent metal amp and sticking a little OD pedal in front to goose it is an excellent choice.

Different strokes and all, but I'd consider a MIG60 if I didn't need a clean channel, or maybe a Laney AOR50 or even a Peavey VTM.

Mids are louder.

Archived