Sad realization: I am that can't afford a Gibson Guy

RoboPimp

• Members

thats a 2x12" cab, loaded with EV 12Ls and it is actually quite balanced sounding and works great live except for moving/transporting/etc. heheh

yeah, sucks moving cabs, but i feel the benefits are worth it. sometimes i get frowned upon for bringing in my stuff, but its my sound so screw them.

i don't know why i want an old SF Fender or Sunn style head on a 2x15 or 2x12 cabinet. part of the reason is that i play bass sometimes and want a tube amp for that, and if i got one i would want to be able to play a guitar through it as well. i always thought that was a 2x15 cab you had

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah, sucks moving cabs, but i feel the benefits are worth it. sometimes i get frowned upon for bringing in my stuff, but its my sound so screw them.

i don't know why i want an old SF Fender or Sunn style head on a 2x15 or 2x12 cabinet. part of the reason is that i play bass sometimes and want a tube amp for that, and if i got one i would want to be able to play a guitar through it as well. i always thought that was a 2x15 cab you had

FWIW, loaded with the EV12Ls it's a 400 watt RMS cab and actually works quite nicely for bass.

• Members

i've owned 3 of them and all 3 were worth every penny...

honestly u can pick up a gibson faded sg for around $400-500 used and once u swap the terrible stock pick-ups you'll have a killer guitar. Same with the faded les pauls. There are some reasonably priced gibsons out there, and they truly are worth the money as these guitars are built to last a life time.

faded sgs

faded les pauls

blueshawk

nighthawk

can all be had for around 600 (exception : nighthawk)... so you too can be a gibson guy.

but u know, there's a few manufacturers who I would turn before Gibson if I were going to spend anywhere near 2k on a guitar (Jackson USA, Ibanez j-custom, Taylor, Caparison) -- but for entry level guitars ($700 range), Gibson is pretty hard to beat once u replace their crap pick-ups.

• Members

No worries with me. I'd rather spend money on great pickups than top-notch wood. Big sums on a Gibson would be wasted on me.

Well if you're talkin really big sums, like more than 1000 I totally agree. I don't think I'd ever buy one new.

Actually the only guitar that costs more than a K that I actually really want is a Yamaha. :idk:

• Members

I couldn't afford one either - well I could - but the wife had been promising to buy me a guitar. So she fulfilled this promise with a new LP Studio (and in the UK a lefty Studio retails at 1100 poonds).

Save up, I'm already saving for one with P90s.

• Members

I couldn't afford one either - well I could - but the wife had been promising to buy me a guitar. So she fulfilled this promise with a new LP Studio (and in the UK a lefty Studio retails at 1100 poonds).

Save up, I'm already saving for one with P90s.

if my wife bought me a gibson i'd break her nose

• Members

Same here, but it isn't Gibsons in general as much as their bridges: I just don't like TOM's. Feels like my right hand is miles above the body.

wtf man? tom bridges are great. im not sure if id ever buy another guitar without one. the few ive had to make adjustments to w/o have been a nightmare/ not possible to intonate. youre crazy.

• Members

i bought a smartwood les paul about six years ago. it was under about $850 new and i imagine the used price is probably ~$600. it's a decent guitar. probably nowhere in the realm of the fancy $2500 gibsons, but decent. since then i've found another guitar that was cheaper that i like better. an old japanese made ibanez artist. mine's a 1981. it rules. plays better than any les paul i've ever played and sounds really good too. those are a steal if you like les pauls. mine was $420. a friend just got one for $450. but the price generally seems to be rising on those.

• Members

i bought a smartwood les paul about six years ago. it was under about $850 new and i imagine the used price is probably ~$600. it's a decent guitar. probably nowhere in the realm of the fancy $2500 gibsons, but decent. since then i've found another guitar that was cheaper that i like better. an old japanese made ibanez artist. mine's a 1981. it rules. plays better than any les paul i've ever played and sounds really good too. those are a steal if you like les pauls. mine was $420. a friend just got one for $450. but the price generally seems to be rising on those.

Hells yes those late '70s/early '80s Artist models are {censored}ing killer guitars. My buddy has two of them and they sound incredible.

Archived