OT: MIM vs. Classic Vibe

OMTerria

• Members

What's the verdict here? I've been messing around with the drummer's Classic Vibe Telecaster Custom and I've been really digging it and am seriously contemplating selling my HSS Strat to get one. Are the MIM Fender models still better, or would I be better off with the Classic Vibe if I were to choose between the two?

• Members

Good question, usually I put my finger on the edge of the fret board and I feel if the frets are sharp / sticking out it's a pretty good sign on whether or not the guitar is cheap / worth it. I don't know if the classics are any better then the regular Squiers that usually have some pretty bad frets on their necks. That being said I bought a used MIM telecaster recently and I like it a lot.

• Members

Everyone' going to tell you that the MIM isn't as good as the Classic Vibe. I like the MIM stuff, but the CV stuff is suppoedly even better whilst also being cheaper.

That said, I still can't quite bring myself to buy a Squier.
:facepalm:

Yeah...I was in the same boat myself and have trouble wrapping my mind around it. It does sound and feel pretty good though...

I haven't had any bad experience with MIM stuff before. I like my Strat a lot, but I feel like changing it up might be fun, even if it means losing the bridge humbucker

• Members

The Classic Vibes are nice, but the pickups on them suck.

I thought they were pretty alright, but I haven't even touched the pickups on my current guitar if it tells you anything :lol:. Plus, the one time I got new pickups for my Les Paul back in the day it wound up sounding worse and I may have been put off to the concept because of that

Edit: Remembered they weren't exactly super with a bunch of fuzz on them.

• Members

Everyone' going to tell you that the MIM isn't as good as the Classic Vibe. I like the MIM stuff, but the CV stuff is suppoedly even better whilst also being cheaper.

That said, I still can't quite bring myself to buy a Squier.
:facepalm:

Agree with this.

I've experienced how nice the Classic Vibes are. They feel, look and sound great- at least more consistently than MIM standards.

That said, if I wanted a cheap telecaster (and I do), I'd hunt down a solid MIM.

• Members

Every CV I've played has played and sounded better than nearly every MIM I've played. Stock pickups sound great to me (especially in the strats & the 50s Teles)

why you'd buy a used MIM to upgrade I have no idea....the stock CVs sound fantastic.

Archived