OT: MIM vs. Classic Vibe

OMTerria

• Members

A few months back I went to GC specifically to buy a Classic Vibe Tele Custom-- the sunburst with the binding. Super sexy guitar. I sat and played it for a long time, and though it sounded good and looked beautiful I knew that in the long run the neck was gonna prove to be too small. I don't have big hands or anything, but it felt really cramped. Also, the back of the neck is smothered in a ton of gloss that is really sticky. You can sand that {censored} off so it's not that big a deal, but the tiny neck was a deal breaker for me.

I grabbed an MIM Tele off the wall and it was a huge difference in feel. Great neck, just big enough to feel right, no gloss on the neck, good weight, and the pickups sound great. I bought it and haven't regretted the choice at all.

I played one of the CV Custom Teles at winter NAMM, and was pretty blown away by it. It had an amazing neck (yes, on the smaller side in terms of depth -- it didn't feel particularly narrow though), and the double bound alder body was light and resonant. If they made it in CAR (or practically any custom color), I would have already bought one by now.

OTOH, I often think Fender's Ensenada factory is under-rated; they make some very nice guitars down there IMO. It would be hard to go wrong with either guitar IMHO.

• Members

I like the way the CVs look and sound (actually like the pickups) but the neck is too small for me. That being said, I think MIMs are better in every way. I think the weakest part of MIMs are the pickups but they are otherwise very solid guitars (especially the newer ones.)

• Members

I have enough Squires and ready for a change.. are the MIM (roadworns) worth an upgrade?

Should have rephrase.. I had 3 Squire Teles (Cali, 2xCustoms-p90 & Hum). All good but they lacked something so i migh tget a MIM soon. Or maybe an ASAT... hmmm

I already have a 95/96 MIM Strat which I got in a trade, to my surprise it is really good and quite a lot better than the 05/06?? MIM Tele that I tried sometime ago. tht experience alone kept me from getting MIMs..

• Members

FWIW, the '06 MIM Strat I recently got was (at least in my experience) a BIG step up in quality from some of the 90s MIM strats I have played before. I swapped out some of the hardware (nut, saddles, trem block) as well as the pups....but now I have what I think (and the guitar shop tech thought as well) is reallllllly nice guitar, period, but especially for the price. The basic build quality, quality of wood, etc. seems like a big step up from the previous decade.

I have only played a CV strat once. I liked it, and wouldn't argue with anyone who got one. But as others have said, the neck was quite small. And overall, it just seemed a little less...I don't know, solid?.....than the '06 MIM I just got.

Archived