OT: That's cute. (new Mesa amp)

moqi

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Traynor, made in Canada, better than the US

Doubtful. Not because of any nationalistic pride issue but because Mesa makes bulletproof amps in general. I haven't seen a modern Traynor amplifier I would put on the same level as a Mesa in terms of build quality or reliability. Mesas are also extremely servicable which can make a huge difference in repair bills if you do have an issue.

• Members

Doubtful. Not because of any nationalistic pride issue but because Mesa makes bulletproof amps in general. I haven't seen a modern Traynor amplifier I would put on the same level as a Mesa in terms of build quality or reliability. Mesas are also extremely servicable which can make a huge difference in repair bills if you do have an issue.

I was kidding about the Canada better thing. check out the YGM-3, Mesa doesn't have any that will touch that build wise. and I highly doubt the mini Mesa is better built than the Darkhorse/

• Members

I was kidding about the Canada better thing. check out the YGM-3, Mesa doesn't have any that will touch that build wise. and I highly doubt the mini Mesa is better built than the Darkhorse/

Are you really comparing an eyelet board reissue of a 70s bassman copy with a Mesa amplifier? Of course mesa doesn't have anything like that. They have NEVER built ampifiers with that construction method because it isn't feasible for a company of their size or for products as complex as the ones they make. Even the simplest Mesa ever made is an order of magnitude more complex to build than a TGM3 would be.

The Darkhorse uses 100% board mounted components it seems so if you break off a pot shaft its going to be a lot more of a hassle to repair. Mesa uses flying leads for their pots so replacing one is a 10-minute task. Here are photos or the Darkhorse and the Mesa. They really aren't comparable. But then again they really shouldn't be. The Mesa is more than twice the price of the Traynor and has significantly more features and options.

Traynor

gp0111_geartray3_nr.jpg

Mesa

gp1210_gear_2167_nr.jpg

• Members

Normally a 25-30 watt EL84 amplifier would use a quartet of power tubes rather than a pair. However, you can get 100 watts out of a pair of EL34s in the right configuration and most companies usually only wring out 45-50 watts. Its just a matter of how you make it work.

• Members

Tubescreamer > Recto =
:love:

Indeed. And alot of the sludgey stonery southern metal I like is recto as well. I may be able to pick one up and sell the rest of my {censored} if it can do that, boosted brootz, and has a decent clean.

• Members

That's a really good price. I don't like the mini slant cab though. Makes the whole mini-head/mini-cab look gimmicky.

To some extent lunchbox amps are really a gimmick on the market now so Mesa is just giving people what they want - a tiny mesa rectifier half stack. I bet a full stack of mini 4x12s would be badass :lol:

• Members

The price is not only great but you factor in the build quality (as nitefly already pointed out) and the amount of features and this seems like it'll be a killer amp at a great price.

I'm a tiny bit skeptical of the power tube choice as Nick mentioned but it's a Mesa and thus it will keep it's resale value.

• Members

Could someone please explain their concerns with powering a 25w amp with two EL84's. There seems to be a bit of incredulity about it but no one is explaining why.

With the conventional approach you can push a pair of EL84's to get 25W out of them (really their absolute limit before failure) but they wont last very long with your typical off the shelf 84 tubes. Maybe they got a factory to up the specs a little? Very possible. But like a lot of their modern offerings they seem to go with pushing everything to the absolute limit to failure at a loss of touch sensitivity, smooth harmonic distortion, and tube life/amp life, so I wouldn't put it past them to either ride a tube set like this to short death or up the wattage on paper for a better chance at marketing (say 22 watts now becomes 25 watts etc.). ;)

Archived