OT: That's cute. (new Mesa amp)

moqi

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's reinforcement so that if people can't tell that your riffs are brutal metal, they can look at your amp and go "Oh! He's playing metal."

It's the same reason why they put wicker cane on the Mark series, except in that case it's so that people will know you're playing like your spinster aunt.

• Members

It's reinforcement so that if people can't tell that your riffs are brutal metal, they can look at your amp and go "Oh! He's playing metal."

It's the same reason why they put wicker cane on the Mark series, except in that case it's so that people will know you're playing like your spinster aunt.

:lol:

• Members

I love EL84s, I like the Mesa sound (if not for me...), but I'm sceptical of the lunchbox amps, particularly the expensive ones.

As in, I think it's a great idea, but it's still a head - Transport is still required; it's not like I could carry it to the gig in my backpack or something. (not to suggest that that's going to be very feasible for a suitably loud tube head...)

But sadly, I imagine that it will be expensive over here, which means that if ever I manage to acquire such an amp (which I would like to do), it'll probably be the Tiny Terror handwired. Which is closer to my tastes anyway. (I like Voxy amps, and it's very 'British sounding' to my ears)

• Members

I really don't see how Mesa are justifying the massive price tags on these tiny amps.

I don't know either but I think we can all justify the huge boobs on your avatar :eek::love:

I have 3 Mesa amps - the Heartbreaker, the Nomad and a Solo 50 Rectoverb so I have no interest whatsoever in any more Mesa amps. This little one is cute but too pricey IMHO :cool:

• Members

With the conventional approach you can push a pair of EL84's to get 25W out of them (really their absolute limit before failure) but they wont last very long with your typical off the shelf 84 tubes. Maybe they got a factory to up the specs a little? Very possible. But like a lot of their modern offerings they seem to go with pushing everything to the absolute limit to failure at a loss of touch sensitivity, smooth harmonic distortion, and tube life/amp life, so I wouldn't put it past them to either ride a tube set like this to short death or up the wattage on paper for a better chance at marketing (say 22 watts now becomes 25 watts etc.).
;)

Interesting, thanks for the insight.

• Members

No worries. Still out of my price range for a lunchbox amp.
:)

I think this is more of a full-featured low/medium output amp. Its just in lunchbox form. Generally the "lunchbox" concept is a low wattage amp that provides passable guitar tones at a low price and small size. This amp is probably capable of doing most tones you could need in a live, studio, or home situation. Within reason of course.

Archived