OT: That's cute. (new Mesa amp)

moqi

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've owned a V3 twice and regretted it both times.

Unless they did a total overhaul to the foundation of the amp I couldn't see why anyone would pick it over the Mesa offering.

i think it is still 3 channels, but has 4 el84 power tubes. smaller, 50/25/7 watts, and reverb.

• Members

Cool features but to me the fundamental tone just wasn't up to par IMO

yeah everyone has different taste. i love my v3, but it has so many bells and whistles to change the tone that it is hard to dial in sometimes. i never really liked the dual recto either, but i did enjoy the transatlantic.

• Members

Normally a 25-30 watt EL84 amplifier would use a quartet of power tubes rather than a pair. However, you can get 100 watts out of a pair of EL34s in the right configuration and most companies usually only wring out 45-50 watts. Its just a matter of how you make it work.

Hmm, I do remember my old Peavey Classic 50 using 4 EL84 tubes, and that's a 50 watt amp...

And I actually can't think of a 25-watt amp that use 4 EL84's. Can you give an example?

• Members

Nevermind what this entire thread has been about.
:lol:

my bad for not assuming you were being specific to the topic, I just read is a statement about tubes in general, I deserved the :facepalm:

I agree, how could an El-84 compare to a 6L6 or an EL-34, the bigger the bottle the bigger the tone, right? I still like to hear it though because EL-84 amps never seem lacking except for headroom obviously, but in this case headroom isn't what Mesa's going for it seems.

• Members

Hmm, I do remember my old Peavey Classic 50 using 4 EL84 tubes, and that's a 50 watt amp...

And I actually can't think of a 25-watt amp that use 4 EL84's. Can you give an example?

Fine, its 30w not 25w, but the Orange Thunder 30 runs four el84's

• Members

Also what's 25 Watts? Notice it doesn't say 25 Watts RMS. 25W RMS not if your life depended on it. With the MESA gain I bet it would be lucky to put out 6-8 clean watts. I predict a lot of unfavorable pedal reviews from Mini 25 owners in the near future. Maybe that's why Crxsh flips so many pedals? :lol:

• Members

They absolutely destroy other lunchbox amps in terms of features and build quality. Thats an American-made amplifier made with top quality parts. Every other lunchbox amp on the market is made in China.

:thu:Competely agree.. I love my Transatlantic. In terms of build quality its defiantly one best I've owned.

• Members

30 watts, but okay, I did overlook that one. Probably because this thread isn't about Vox.
:lol:

Sigh. Put an AC30 on a scope and let me know how much it puts out. 30 watts/25 watts/etc... is all marketing. Its what the brochure says but I guarantee you if you do the math thats not what's hitting the speaker jack.

• Members

Sigh. Put an AC30 on a scope and let me know how much it puts out. 30 watts/25 watts/etc... is all marketing. Its what the brochure says but I guarantee you if you do the math thats not what's hitting the speaker jack.

Yeah, I agree. And even if one amp is 25 watts and the other one 30 watts, I probably couldn't tell the difference...

Archived