XO Polychorus!!!!!!!

companyman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big box Polychorus is a true classic.... but the smaller size is probably going to appeal to a lot of people.

I'm interested in finding out a few things:

1. What BBD chips did they use on this one? IOW, is the circuit the same, and if not, what's changed?

2. Anything "new" added? Looks like there's one new / additional knob, and some slight changes in the knob labeling.

3. Who do I have to contact to arrange a review for HC?

• Members

The big box Polychorus is a true classic.... but the smaller size is probably going to appeal to a lot of people.

I'm interested in finding out a few things:

1. What BBD chips did they use on this one? IOW, is the circuit the same, and if not, what's changed?

2. Anything "new" added? Looks like there's one new / additional knob, and some slight changes in the knob labeling.

3. Who do I have to contact to arrange a review for HC?

It's running 9v instead of 24v, so already that change is clear. I doubt they are using the Panasonic chips used in the RI big box. Definitely not the Reticons used in the originals.

The additional Sweep Filter knob replaces the slide switch on the big box version.

• Members

Other 9 volt large XO pedals I've had never played nice with a onespot (Ring Thing, V256). The Germ4 Muff was the one and only I've tried that did work with one. The small size such as the Clone theory also had no problem, just the big boxes. I imagine there's probably going to be a high enough MA draw for it to be an issue with this one too, which is unfortunate, but not a big deal for me. Still great news though, and damn does it look nice! Can't wait for the shootouts.

• Members

I'd definitely like to know their method. The EHX tube series pull 12v, but the internal toroidal transformer pushes up to 300v through the tubes. Perhaps something similar is being used here
:idk:

it is sort of odd that they go to the trouble of making these things 9v, but the ma's are usually too high for One-Spot daisy-chaining. Seems like wasted energy.

• Members

it is sort of odd that they go to the trouble of making these things 9v, but the ma's are usually too high for One-Spot daisy-chaining. Seems like wasted energy.

not at all. at least your one spot can work with the pedal instead of having to chase down a special different type adapter.

I gave the big box a fair chance... but it never gave me what i was looking for.

i'll give this one a fair run through when it comes out.

I'd definitely like to know their method. The EHX tube series pull 12v, but the internal toroidal transformer pushes up to 300v through the tubes. Perhaps something similar is being used here
:idk:

Voltage multiplier... it isn't an uncommon electronic technique at all, although I have no idea if they're doing that here or not. :idk:

this surprises me, the XO Microsynth sounded much less beefy running on 9v.

This. Even bigger disparity between the large box and XO Graphic Fuzzes.

Interested in hearing it, but I doubt I'll be canning my large-box Polychorus.

• Members

I don't know... I had both the old big box Poly Phase and the XO Poly Phase, and the big box was definitely better (wish I still had that big box :mad: ). I also had the XO Q-Tron, and ended up going back to the big box Q-Tron. I have a big box Poly Chorus now, and would be interested in doing a comparison, but suspect I would like the big box better.

Archived