XO Polychorus!!!!!!!

companyman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do want, but no board space!

Coming to think of it, Ive got a few fabulous pedals lying around that I don't have the board space for...time for a second board methinks!

Would have to agree that the 9V XO versions of the big box 18 V pedals tend to sound like they have less headroom - I absolutely noticed it when going from the POG to the POG2 - but the POG2 was still far more useful to me due to the presets + just being smaller and needing standard power requirements make it a lot more practical, and it's not like the POG2 sounds anything short of great in any case.

• Members

I liked my polychorus but not enough to buy one again.

the main thing I liked about it was the stereo sound which I really have no use for.

most of the standard effects sounds in mono weren't all that spectacular, the self oscillation was awesome tho.

Mine also had seriously loud whine/clock noise when you pushed the chips even a little bit.

• Members

I liked my polychorus but not enough to buy one again.

the main thing I liked about it was the stereo sound which I really have no use for.

most of the standard effects sounds in mono weren't all that spectacular, the self oscillation was awesome tho.

Mine also had seriously loud whine/clock noise when you pushed the chips even a little bit.

I agree about the stereo effect being the strength of the RI big box. I wouldnt recommend it for a mono setup. EHX has better modulation effects for running mono, like the Small Clone or the ELectric Mistress.

As for the clock whine, that is usually fixed with a trimpot tweak.

• Members

Meh. Am not interest.

Many of the XO versions are a completely different design.

The PolyPhase is a good example. EHX added expression pedal controls of some parameters but took away the option of having the LFO and envelope working at the same time.

The debate over what chip is used in the DMM XO rages on.

The 16 second RI was a completely different beast from the original.

The question is do the changes make the new pedal a worthwhile investment?

BTW, why would anyone sell a classic pedal? Keep them all.

• Members

Yeah, too bad they didn't opt for new features on the XO PolyChorus. Expression control for flange/chorus rate and filter matrix sweep, and stereo inputs would've been cool, or keeping the sweep filter a toggle switch, and adding a Blend knob. I suspect the PolyChorus is still one of their top selling pedals and they didn't want to mess with the basic design. But hey, bypass LED! :thu:

I had a couple of the more recent reissues, they both whined ridiculously at certain settings.

I now have one of the pre-2007(?) reissues, with the "pointer" knobs and the LED that stays on in bypass. Less whine, sounds better. :idk:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Just picked up an XO and clock whine is WAAAYYYYY worse than my RI big box. Possibly an issue with the calibration on my pedal specifically but if you push the tune/delay or width knobs anywhere past 12 o'clock, it produces the most annoying high pitched, swarm of insect whining I've ever heard from any pedal, ever.

That said, I read another review somewhere that said clock whine had been improved with the XO circuit so who knows. I may exchange and see if it's an isolated problem but the XO series lets me down, consistently. I need to give up on 'em.

• Members

Just picked up an XO and clock whine is WAAAYYYYY worse than my RI big box. Possibly an issue with the calibration on my pedal specifically but if you push the tune/delay or width knobs anywhere past 12 o'clock, it produces the most annoying high pitched, swarm of insect whining I've ever heard from any pedal, ever.

That said, I read another review somewhere that said clock whine had been improved with the XO circuit so who knows. I may exchange and see if it's an isolated problem but the XO series lets me down, consistently. I need to give up on 'em.

Bummer :(

No clock whine on my Big box unit, but I used to have an old Stereo Memory Man that whined horribly. I had to let it go.

Archived