XO Polychorus!!!!!!!

companyman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the most XO versions lost a lot of their predecessors.

A huge example is the Pulsar. The XO Pulsar is just terrible compared to its original, and the rate knob does nothing after 12 o'clock...

Yeah they are smaller, but not only they're uglier, they don't match the original sound.

• Members

I think the most XO versions lost a lot of their predecessors.

A huge example is the Pulsar. The XO Pulsar is just terrible compared to its original, and the rate knob does nothing after 12 o'clock...

Yeah they are smaller, but not only they're uglier, they don't match the original sound.

:facepalm: re: the pulsar, that pedal has WAY to much range, you probably set the depth too high and that's why you didn't get trem anymore ... Iirc, the depth at 6 was other pedals' maxes out

• Members

my big box polychorus did that too
:idk:

I have a big box that whines a bit as well though only at max delay settings when you're really stretching the chip's capabilities. You can't get past halfway on the XO tune/delay control without introducing a clock whine so bad it sounds like the thing is broken.

I just read a similar report on ILF, possibly a miscalibrated batch early on with these :idk: Waiting on a response from EHX, maybe it can be easily resolved with the internal trimmers. I've seen issues with clock noise/ticking on the Nano Small Stone that wasn't a consistent issue from pedal to pedal, just a matter of finding good one. I'll post an update if/when I get it resolved.

• Members
:facepalm:
re: the pulsar, that pedal has WAY to much range, you probably set the depth too high and that's why you didn't get trem anymore ... Iirc, the depth at 6 was other pedals' maxes out

I was talking about the rate, not depth. Set the depth to 3 o'clock, and then experiment with the rate. At least mine stopped making any rate difference after 12 o'clock.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

It's actually running a MN3008 rather than a MN3007... or at least mine is.  As it's not the lower voltage MN3207, this also suggests that the XO PolyChorus is not actually running at 9V internally.  One spot on the board actually says 15V, and another says 12V.  I don't know much about circuitry, but the voltage is probably bumped up internally like it is on the DMM Tap Tempo.

I'm guessing some of the additional clock noise is due to the longer delay time of the MN3008 vs the MN3007, which is really not needed at all on a chorus pedal.  In other words, below noon on the tune/delay knob of the XO is probably more like below 3 o'clock on the big box units.  I don't use the XO with that knob above noon very often, and hence the noise isn't too bad.  That's my guess as to what's going on, anyway.  It's still anoying, though.  This is typical of my experience with Electro-Harmonix pedals.  So many of them sound great except for the noise levels, etc.

Anyway, I still think the MN3007-based Small Clone used with a 12V adapter instead of the specified 9V adapter is among the best chorus pedals ever.  I've never tried it with a 15V adapter for fear of frying the other components.  It sounds great at 9V when it doesn't clip, anyway.  The white noise levels are way better than most of the Nano pedals, too.  I've never tried a SAD1024 Small Clone, but I'd love to do so.

I'd like to find out what chip the Neo Clone is using.  It's supposed to be the exact same circuit as the Small Clone.  I'm pretty sure that the Nano Clone does NOT use a MN3007, but that was never advertised as having the exact same circuit as the Small Clone (obviously, given the lack of the depth switch).

Archived