Share your musical wisdom/insight here

JrB

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll assume most people know this - *listen to the other musicians in the band while playing. They are musicians after all.*

Which leads to my next point: *take cues from other instruments/solos from jazz*. Their {censored}e is more inspirational than Steve Vai. (No, I don't hate the guy...but you should get my point once thought out).

Please pay attention to Monk's comment about keeping time. The biggest issue I see time and time again in the studio with bands that are supposedly well-rehearsed is lack of decent time; both individually and collectively. BE AWARE of what everyone else is doing, and make sure that what you do works with what they're doing. Be MUSICAL!!!

It's okay to push yourself a bit beyond your limits -- that's how you grow. But the studio isn't the place to try to master a part that is well beyond your capabilities. Play wihin your skill level in the studio, or a bit beyond it, but be realistic about it or you're going to waste a bunch of time. Remember -- a few simple but cool parts cleverly arranged together and well executed beat one difficult but botched part every time.

• Members

Please pay attention to Monk's comment about keeping time. The biggest issue I see time and time again in the studio with bands that are supposedly well-rehearsed is lack of decent time; both individually and collectively. BE AWARE of what everyone else is doing, and make sure that what you do works with what they're doing. Be MUSICAL!!!

It's okay to push yourself a bit beyond your limits -- that's how you grow. But the studio isn't the place to try to master a part that is well beyond your capabilities. Play within your skill level in the studio, or a bit beyond it, but be realistic about it or you're going to waste a bunch of time. Remember -- a few simple but cool parts cleverly arranged together and well executed beat one difficult but botched part every time.

I did a demo tape for a punk band and after the first take told the drummer that he was out. He had two choices, 1 simplify it or 2 keep recording until I stopped saying "again". He took option 2 and it took a very long time. They were happy with the result, me I'd would have preferred option 1.

• Members

I did a demo tape for a punk band and after the first take told the drummer that he was out. He had two choices, 1 simplify it or 2 keep recording until I stopped saying "again". He took option 2 and it took a very long time. They were happy with the result, me I'd would have preferred option 1.

Yeah, but did you stop saying "again" because he got it right, or because you were sick of hearing him?

• Members

-There's no such thing as good tone. Write or improvise good parts, then work out how to play them so that listeners will understand your ideas, then work out what sounds to use to support that. Ideas first, tone last.

-Sometimes the best thing to do is not play. Don't be afraid of those gaps in the song.

-If you play in a band, listen to what the other members are playing and work out how to support their ideas. Don't be afraid to suggest they do something different if they're playing something that goes against your intention, and be open to other members suggesting changes to your part. Even if you think it'll be worse, try it, record it if you can, and build from there.

-Don't be afraid to have an argument or say something is bad, but don't be afraid to lose the argument. Remember the end goal: a good song played well. Sometimes you need to fight to get onto the same page, but always leave the practice room with a smile.

-If you gig, get very familiar with your rig and have a checklist in your head so you can set up and tear down in minutes. Don't be one of those bands that mills around bleating like a herd of sheep while the night gets further and further behind schedule. I can get my head, cab, two pedalboards and two guitars on stage, set up and soundchecked in less time than i've seen someone take to unzip their guitar bag and plug a cable into the house amp. Same for tearing down. Pretend it's a military operation. I always find that helps me focus and feel like I belong on the stage.

-Have spares. And unless you've worked something out in advance, don't come to the gig without the things you need to play. If you're asking other bands for picks, leads, straps or amps, you shouldn't be gigging because you obviously don't care enough about the show or the audience to think it through.

-Smile, even when the music is dark or heavy. Don't stand there grinning like an idiot, just make eye contact at your bandmates, the crowd when you play something you're proud of, try to show them you're happy to be on stage, you're feeling your own songs, and that you want to connect with the room. If you don't show the crowd those things, they won't care about the music no matter how good it is.

-Always thank the people round about you at the show. Tell the sound guy he did a good job, thank the stage hand for helping clear a space for your gear, thank the promoter for having you.

• Members

Don't be afraid to tear a song arrangement apart and start from scratch. Even if you love it.

I wish I'd thought of that one! In the past we've spent months perfecting sections, only to eventually realise the song is better off without them. It's so hard to do but you've got to be your own harshest critic sometimes.

• Members

1. An RCD device is cheap. Buy one and use it, it might save your life one day.

2. The tone you like at home probably won't sound good in a band situation and vice versa. don't be scared of altering your settings.

3. the progression A7 - D7 - E7 is not a I - IV - V progression. It's a V - V - V progression. When you understand this, playing blues stops being so dull.

4. Everyone likes different things. Just because you don't like a certain band/song/genre doesn't make it invalid.

• Members

listen to diferent music, learn from different music, try to break your patterns at bedroomwanking...

dont try to copy your heros

try to understand "contrast" in songs - what makes a smooth part smooth? ;)

if you dont get the results in edting, composing, mixing? leave it for a day and listen later again...

Archived