Share your musical wisdom/insight here

JrB

• Members

Gently wrap your cord through the handle on top of the amp and through the strap on the guitar to provide strain relief. You'll be amazed at how much longer your cords last.

Vaseline Lip Therapy is great saddle/nut lube, comes in a case friendly tube, and doesn't hurt to have around on cold winter gigs.

Use strap locks even if you don't jump around a lot.

When sound checking, get as far out in front of your amp as your cords/pedalboard allow so you can hear what your amp actually sounds like.

Use gaffers tape, not duct tape, for taping down cords, making jack repairs, etc.

Don't set your drink on top of your amp.

Vibrating cymbals can feel like an electric shock if you're not expecting to make contact with them.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How?

Please expand on the benefits of learning this stuff...

For one thing it forced me to learn some music theory, and to read music a little. Reading from tabs is fine for what it is, but you can imbue a lot more subtlety with notes on a stave.

I found that notes and chords interact with each other differently (if you know what I mean, It's hard to describe really) on piano and guitar. Playing a chord sequence on a piano leads me to little flourishes and riffs that I would never have played on guitar, simply due to the way they're built; different notes, in different registers fall under your fingers. If I then transpose what I created on the piano onto guitar, I will again make little additions there so that what I end up playing would just never have evolved had I played it on the guitar alone.

These are just a couple of the big things I learned but there are tons of little things that have added to my general musical knowledge and ability.

Archived