Signature models?!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Something like an EVH strat or any of the 3,6 trillion Zakk Wylde sigs just seems overtly fanboyish. But I can really see the point of something like the Eric Johnson and Billy Corgan strats or the Dave Grissom PRS model. If it's a genuinely good instruments it doesn't really bother me if it's endorsed by someone famous.

• Members
Some of them are unique in a way, though I agree they shouldn't cost more money than other guitars. But hey, that's capitalism for ya...

Like this

jazz4.jpg
Man, possible one of the nicest guitars I've ever seen. Really really really want to try one out.

That marks the first time I've ever thought that ugly colored pearloid pick guard suited a guitar. That looks GREAT. What is that?

• Members

I used to have a Jerry Donahue Stratocaster. Had never even heard him play when I got it, I just liked the look of it and it sounded intriguiging from the description. If the body had been a heavier wood and neck slimmer I might have kept it.

I've played a Mascis Jazzmaster and would own one if I had an excess of cash... though I'd change the pickups, and prefer the mastery... oh yeah and I'd change the guard - don't like the gold on the purples. Both the Thurston and Lee JMs would be intriguing as well, but I'd mod them.

With all 3 of those JMs it's not so much that they are associated with those players, but I like the colors/features (whether the original players used one like them or not) and they aren't available in other places. My take is really that it's about the guitar itself... does it meet the criteria that I'd normally want in a guitar... whether I like the player or not.

• Members

Yeah I feel like sig models are just ways of differentiating between guitars....instead of saying "Strat with XYZ features" its just "Eric Johnson Strat". The fact that they up the price based on a name is :rolleyes:

If its a good instrument, its a good instrument. What I HATE is when they decorate an instrument with a band/players logo/signature. So gawdy & ugly.....it makes it look like youre borrowing someone else's guitar.

Like I said...the best bass I ever owned was a Fender Sting sig P Bass....it had his signature in a perloid block at the 12th fret, but it was small & not that noticeable so it didn't bother me....but that big ass John Lennon sig on that pickguard would drive me nuts.

Archived