If you illegally download music

Ryan.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ugh, forgot about digital photography. Same problem as with digital music music.

Picture of a picture is the same problem as the louvre painting, you are getting an imperfect copy of a copy. Let me ask, what would you be stealing from him personally?

• Members

it's not stealing. stealing implies the rightful owner no longer has it.

i agree that intellectual property should be free and anyone that thinks they can sell mp3's in todays climate is probably sadly mistaken.

i give my music away for free. physical media, shows, and merch are a totally different story. if i like a band, i'll buy one of those.

• Members

Ugh, forgot about digital photography. Same problem as with digital music music.

Picture of a picture is the same problem as the louvre painting, you are getting an imperfect copy of a copy. Let me ask, what would you be stealing from him personally?

He could argue that I stole the time it took to get that awesome picture. Its almost like stealing service. If I don't pay the dog walker for the time he took to walk my dog am I stealing? (I don't have a dog.)

• Members

yes i do, i'd love it if you'd start that thread. i've reached my max amount of thread starts that phil allows me today.

Ha! I'm not sure it its worth another thread (or hijacking this one for that matter) but I prefer to listen to vinyl. I think it sounds fuller and richer, but I also like experience of listening to vinyl. It demands more attention and appreciation than an mp3 or a cd that will just get ripped into itunes and then put on a shelf.

When I put on a record, I sit there and enjoy it. When I put on digital music, I go do the dishes or whatever and it just becomes background music.

For the record (pun intended) I believe that vinyl sales are increasing dramatically at the moment whilst cd's are in huge decline. Vinyl is the future.

• Members
Ha! I'm not sure it its worth another thread (or hijacking this one for that matter) but I prefer to listen to vinyl. I think it sounds fuller and richer, but I also like experience of listening to vinyl. It demands more attention and appreciation than an mp3 or a cd that will just get ripped into itunes and then put on a shelf.

When I put on a record, I sit there and enjoy it. When I put on digital music, I go do the dishes or whatever and it just becomes background music.

For the record (pun intended) I believe that vinyl sales are increasing dramatically at the moment whilst cd's are in huge decline. Vinyl is the future.

Very cool bro, that is respectable. :thu:

• Members

Its like saying... well Lobster isn't something I normally eat so its okay to steal one

actually, it's like you see a lobster but you're not really sure about it, so you copy it and leave the original there. sure, the Lobstatorium didn't make a sale, but the chances are you woulnt have bought one anyways. they still have the lobster in stock, and if you liked it enough you're more likely to buy the real thing next time.

• Members

i do it to hurt the record labels, not the artists. as a person who grew up in nashville, let me tell you, i hate record labels.

artists don't really make that much off of sales anyway, more so through shows and merch.

Not necessarily true. I saw David Bazan at a house show last month, and he said that before iTunes, 25% of his income was album sales. Now album sales make up only 10% of his income and his income hasn't drastically increased. In order to compensate, he tours about three times as much as he used to and doesn't get to spend very much time with his wife and kids.

• Members

Not necessarily true. I saw David Bazan at a house show last month, and he said that before iTunes, 25% of his income was album sales. Now album sales make up only 10% of his income and his income hasn't drastically increased. In order to compensate, he tours about three times as much as he used to and doesn't get to spend very much time with his wife and kids.

I think it's possible that his solo work isn't as popular as his Pedro the Lion material and he certainly doesn't seem to receive as much press coverage.

• Members

I think it's possible that his solo work isn't as popular as his Pedro the Lion material and he certainly doesn't seem to receive as much press coverage.

Every show he's played around here has been sold out (both as Pedro and under his own name). Bazan fans are pretty hardcore, even after Pedro broke up and he turned from his faith. I don't think he needs the press, his fan base is pretty loyal.

• Members

Disposable I guess is a better term. Like the statement above "I've only listened to this song once so I'm glad I didn't pay for it." I don't see a lot of our generation putting stock in the local symphony or art gallery.

In a time when we can have the mona lisa as our phone background image for free, maybe we don't look at the hard work and dedication it took to create the piece so we are unwilling to pay a high price to own it.

I think that is a fairly ignorant comment tbh

Art is probably better supported now, through universities and government infrastructure (grants, etc.) than it ever has, and art prices keep on going up, not down. The reason no one of our generation is going to buy the Mona Lisa, is because we don't have a spare squillion million dollars!

• Members

I haven't bought an album in 10+ years. There's no justification for it, you SHOULD pay for music. At the same time the only two albums I can think of that I should have bought were Muse - Absolution and Keane's first album because I enjoyed them from beginning to end. There's good music out there, but it's so rare for anyone to put together a complete album of great tunes these days.

• Members

Every show he's played around here has been sold out (both as Pedro and under his own name). Bazan fans are pretty hardcore, even after Pedro broke up and he turned from his faith. I don't think he needs the press, his fan base is pretty loyal.

Well, if his fan base hasn't contracted, some of his loyal fans mustn't be hardcore enough to pay for his records.

• Members

I haven't bought an album in 10+ years. There's no justification for it, you SHOULD pay for music. At the same time the only two albums I can think of that I should have bought were Muse - Absolution and Keane's first album because I enjoyed them from beginning to end. There's good music out there, but it's so rare for anyone to put together a complete album of great tunes these days.

Interesting that the two records that you 'should' have paid for are by people who already have plenty of money.

Also, I don't think its fair to dismiss 99.99% of music like that. Sure there is plenty of crap out there, but the current direction of the industry seems to have a very strong current of original music. Even if none of them make any money. If anything, I like that if I ever feel that there isn't all that much out there, I can go and download a bunch of new music that I know nothing about and wouldn't normally fork out money for. Downloading should make discovering new music easier.

• Members

To put this in context, prior to downloading, a lot of music was purchased in used record shops (CD's and LP's). While the listener is paying, none of the money goes to the artist or their label.
This problem is not new, just on a much larger basis.

• Members

Either you rip music off for free, or you pay whoever (itunes / spotify / records labels) so they can rip music off artists.

If I can buy music from an artist I respect and see the majority of that money go in their pocket...I'll line up to do it.

Why can't these online sellers actually show what portion the artist earns from my cash???

• Members

I have no moral issue with downloading music. Most of what I download is out of print albums and I do a lot of streaming (spotify, youtube, lastfm). I go to shows when I can, but I don't really buy albums anymore unless they are local or small regional artists (no available dl, not found on any streaming site). I also resent the notion that by not paying for music that you are implicitly saying it is worthless. The value of music is more spiritual than anything and the economics of it should be considered separate. Besides, I couldn't afford all the music that I crave and love.

I'm also a strong supporter and contributor in open source software and code in my professional life. Ideas are meant to be spread, and crowdsourcing is the way of the 21st century.

Archived