If you illegally download music

Ryan.

• Members

are you part of the problem? Are you helping or hurting music? How do you justify it to yourself?

Just curious. I haven't downloaded anything since college. I spend a significant amount of money each year on iTunes.

I do it cause its convenient I guess. I paid to get TomVanDeven's + Jakkeh's music and Huxtables too. I've bought Conky's and Renula's and Coloringpad's.

Someday if I ever make anything worth listening to, I'd hope people would buy it.

Is music like art now? Just worthless? Or is it just a victimless crime so who cares?

What do you think?

as for me... I did it in college because I didn't have an ipod, so I didn't have itunes. When torrenting became popular it was easy to get an entire discography from a band. But all that did for me was clutter my hard drive with songs I'd never listen to. I guess it was laziness combined with not giving a rat's ass?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used to before Spotify. The albums I REALLY thought deserved buying I bought, even if I didn't listen to them. I've got loads of cd's just unopened because I felt I had enjoyed them so much they deserved it.

When Spotify came there was no need to anymore really, 5 euro a month? It's nothing really. If someone however goes out of their way to make a cd hard to pay for and acquire however I will simply not give a f***.

I guess I've had this approach before though; Either I download it and listen to it or I don't. I won't buy it anyway, so what they get out of me is free advertising.

Gotta buy some Radiohead albums :)

• Members

I think it depends on the artist...if they don't mind, then take it. If they mind, don't steal.

Or....golden rule: if you don't mind if you're music is given away, then steal. If you want people to buy your music, then don't steal.

Or...if you like a band and want them to do well, pay them for their art.

I don't steal music, I always buy the CD/vinyl, FWIW.

• Members

So much stuff I download I just listen to once and never want to listen to it again. If I paid for everything I'd be really pissed. I still buy vinyl very frequently and I really feel that seeing a band live and maybe buying a t-shirt is a way better way to support them than buying a CD.

• Members

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

I feel OK with it as I still buy as much if not more music than I ever did. The vast majority of the stuff I've downloaded is out of print or stuff I have/am going to get on vinyl. So, in my case, I don't feel like it is hurting or helping.

At this point, it is pretty much inevitable. My band's album could be illegally downloaded two months before it came out. I reckon it hindered sales to some degree but there isn't much that can be done about it. Our label sent out a few cease and desist messages and got a few taken down, but a few blogs/torrents were always on the first Google page. Ultimately, it's going to help us more financially on the road by ostensibly getting people out to our shows. It definitely hurts sales which hurts the label and us to a degree, but it is also selling well enough that our label is happy with the time and the money they've invested in us.

Ironically, the musicians that I personally know who protest the loudest about their music being downloaded are without exception the ones who illegally download music and software and usually don't buy any music. The drummer in the last band I was in was so violently opposed to people being able to potentially download our album that he categorically refused to have download cards included with the vinyl. Trying to explain to him that those cards were irrelevant to the album being illegally downloaded fell upon deaf ears. When we discussed it further, he revealed that he hadn't bought any music since he discovered Soulseek and had no intentions of ever starting again.

• Members
Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

I feel OK with it as I still buy as much if not more music than I ever did. The vast majority of the stuff I've downloaded is out of print or stuff I have/am going to get on vinyl. So, in my case, I don't feel like it is hurting or helping.

At this point, it is pretty much inevitable. My band's album could be illegally downloaded two months before it came out. I reckon it hindered sales to some degree but there isn't much that can be done about it. Our label sent out a few cease and desist messages and got a few taken down, but a few blogs/torrents were always on the first Google page. Ultimately, it's going to help us more financially on the road by ostensibly getting people out to our shows. It definitely hurts sales which hurts the label and us to a degree, but it is also selling well enough that our label is happy with the time and the money they've invested in us.

Ironically, the musicians that I personally know who protest the loudest about their music being downloaded are without exception the ones who illegally download music and software and usually don't buy any music. The drummer in the last band I was in was so violently opposed to people being able to potentially download our album that he categorically refused to have download cards included with the vinyl. Trying to explain to him that those cards were irrelevant to the album being illegally downloaded fell upon deaf ears. When we discussed it further, he revealed that he hadn't bought any music since he discovered Soulseek and had no intentions of ever starting again.

Amazing.

I don't want to sound on a high horse or anything, but its funny how we all sort of justify taking music. "Well it isn't something I'd normally listen to." Its like saying... well Lobster isn't something I normally eat so its okay to steal one.

That drummer sounds like a fun guy to have around.

Glad your music is doing well though! :thu:

• Members

I did it in college. I don't really do it now, I have itunes and I'm too lazy to look for something for free if I can just pay 99 cents for it there. Unless a song isn't available on itunes, then it'seasier to find it for free than to find another site and sign up and all that. So it's all based on laziness.

I don't have any moral qualms against downloading music for free in general.

One thing is certain - the landscape of selling music (really all entertainment, for the most part) has changed and the genie isn't going back in the bottle. But that doesn't necessarily mean people won't be able to profit off their music in the future. They'll just have to find different methods. After all, facebook gives their service away for free, but they don't seem to be doing too bad. Music distributors are going to have to find new ways to turn a profit.

• Members

Amazing.

I don't want to sound on a high horse or anything, but its funny how we all sort of justify taking music. "Well it isn't something I'd normally listen to." Its like saying... well Lobster isn't something I normally eat so its okay to steal one.

That drummer sounds like a fun guy to have around.

Glad your music is doing well though!
:thu:

Yeah, it's weird how the justifications go. I feel ethically OK with my music downloading but it is stealing nonetheless. One could even make that argument when I'm downloading something I've already bought in a physical format.

Yeah, the aforementioned drummer had a lot of interesting things about him. Come to think about it, the drummer in the band I was in before that also downloaded stuff but was opposed to our stuff being downloaded.

And thanks!

• Members

When did art get cheapened?

Disposable I guess is a better term. Like the statement above "I've only listened to this song once so I'm glad I didn't pay for it." I don't see a lot of our generation putting stock in the local symphony or art gallery.

In a time when we can have the mona lisa as our phone background image for free, maybe we don't look at the hard work and dedication it took to create the piece so we are unwilling to pay a high price to own it.

• Members

Disposable I guess is a better term. Like the statement above "I've only listened to this song once so I'm glad I didn't pay for it." I don't see a lot of our generation putting stock in the local symphony or art gallery.

So true. I firmly believe it's tied in with technology. Unfortunately, I don't think the younger members of the forum can truly appreciate how much technology has cheapened so many aspects of music. It leveled the playing field in a lot of ways, but that isn't necessarily a good thing.

• Members

I don't think that art got disposable, art just got better exposure. I don't want to look to the past with rose-colored glasses when it comes to art appreciation simply because I don't have any good, concrete evidence to base whatever image I conjure up in my mind is. I try to stay away from statements like "past generations had a real appreciation for music/art/etc" because I don't know whether or not the average family was exposed to much music outside of their church in the 1850s or made an effort to go see any symphonies or see what was happening in the Post-Impressionist movement.

I agree that viewing art over the internet is a totally inferior method of viewing it, but the internet allows music and art and the like to be democratized instead of being subject to getting good exposure through benefactors or what have you. Somehow I feel like the good {censored} still rises to the top. I even hesitate to say that there's more art being made now than there was 30 or 40 years ago because we just don't know who was making art and how much of it was out there.

So, disposable? It's tough to say. There is more to look at and hear, but our society goes to great lengths to incorporate art into our every day life; whether it be chamber music or a ringtone.

• Members

If albums don't get bought, then albums don't get made. Its that simple.

I disagree somewhat. If I'm buying music, I have less money towards pedals/guitars/studio time/etc so in fact it actually hinders me making music and thus making the albums that won't get bought.

Archived