If you illegally download music

Ryan.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think that art got disposable, art just got better exposure. I don't want to look to the past with rose-colored glasses when it comes to art appreciation simply because I don't have any good, concrete evidence to base whatever image I conjure up in my mind is. I try to stay away from statements like "past generations had a real appreciation for music/art/etc" because I don't know whether or not the average family was exposed to much music outside of their church in the 1850s or made an effort to go see any symphonies or see what was happening in the Post-Impressionist movement.

I agree that viewing art over the internet is a totally inferior method of viewing it, but the internet allows music and art and the like to be democratized instead of being subject to getting good exposure through benefactors or what have you. Somehow I feel like the good {censored} still rises to the top. I even hesitate to say that there's more art being made now than there was 30 or 40 years ago because we just don't know who was making art and how much of it was out there.

So, disposable? It's tough to say. There is more to look at and hear, but our society goes to great lengths to incorporate art into our every day life; whether it be chamber music or a ringtone.

Mhm, yes, I recognize some of those words.

Actually I can only base my knowledge of art and classical music from college classes that I took years ago. The church, as you said, was a place where people were exposed to most of the music they heard before the radio, etc. Now with the click of a button you have Adele's latest hit in 20 seconds. Even things like incredible architecture that was once only seen on giant churches in Europe can be recreated for cheap on your own home! So maybe the less man hours it takes to create something the less we feel obligated to pay for it?

So do you download music illegally?

• Members

Actually I can only base my knowledge of art and classical music from college classes that I took years ago. The church, as you said, was a place where people were exposed to most of the music they heard before the radio, etc. Now with the click of a button you have Adele's latest hit in 20 seconds. Even things like incredible architecture that was once only seen on giant churches in Europe can be recreated for cheap on your own home! So maybe the less man hours it takes to create something the less we feel obligated to pay for it?

So doesn't that mean that art is gaining importance if it has to compete and jockey for ear and eye space?

Also, re: man hours, that's a very Marxist conclusion, but I don't think that it's necessarily true, especially when it comes to art. A horrible piece of {censored} may take ten years to produce but quick sketches have become prized portfolio pieces.

So do you download music illegally?

Used to, in order to try before I bought. If I really wanted to support an artist, I would. Now I have Spotify.

• Members

So doesn't that mean that art is gaining importance if it has to compete and jockey for ear and eye space?

Also, re: man hours, that's a very Marxist conclusion, but I don't think that it's necessarily true, especially when it comes to art. A horrible piece of {censored} may take ten years to produce but quick sketches have become prized portfolio pieces.

Used to, in order to try before I bought. If I really wanted to support an artist, I would. Now I have Spotify.

Thats a good point. Art is a pain in the ass thing to talk about anyway, because one man's piece of {censored} is another mans prized portfolio piece. Its also apparent in art to have a lag time of popularity. Are the obscure bands that HCFX love great art or are they pieces of {censored} because they haven't sold 10 million copies? Is Eminem the greatest artist since Da Vinci?

And whether or not its good art, bad art, or took 8 years to paint... is it ever okay to steal it?

Is this all just a problem with our moral compass. Is it merely because 1) its easy as hell and 2) we'll most likely never be caught, that we do it. As some of the bros here said, they don't even try to justify it, they just do it. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

• Members

I mean the whole music being devalued thing is basically a problem of economics and how to deal with things that exist in mass quantities. We do not have the time to deal with an infinite amount of art, and that is what we may be approaching.

Is Eminem the greatest artist since Da Vinci?

Yes

And whether or not its good art, bad art, or took 8 years to paint... is it ever okay to steal it?

Stealing and illegally downloading music aren't the same thing. You need a tangible object to steal. That's why the "WOULD YOU EVER STEAL A CAR" argument doesn't work. Music is the only artistic medium that suffers from this problem.

Is this all just a problem with our moral compass. Is it merely because 1) its easy as hell and 2) we'll most likely never be caught, that we do it. As some of the bros here said, they don't even try to justify it, they just do it. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

There are arguments back and forth, but it is undeniably a moral grey area. It's impossible to measure how much one downloaded album costs in terms absolute damage, and then there are also benefits to being able to have all music available instantly (greater exposure, free advertisement).

• Members

Stealing and illegally downloading music aren't the same thing. You need a tangible object to steal. That's why the "WOULD YOU EVER STEAL A CAR" argument doesn't work. Music is the only artistic medium that suffers from this problem.

There are arguments back and forth, but it is undeniably a moral grey area. It's impossible to measure how much one downloaded album costs in terms absolute damage, and then there are also benefits to being able to have all music available instantly (greater exposure, free advertisement).

I wouldn't say music is the only medium. As you can walk into the louvre with a $1500 camera, take a picture of an amazing painting, and print that {censored} out at your home and put it on your wall.

I'm not sure I agree with the, you need a tangible item to steal. Let me propose a scenario. You've just written what you think is going to be a top selling pop hit, I work in the same studio as you, I find that file, copy it, and release it as my own. I make teh millionz. That would be stealing, don't you think? Its not the same thing you might say. No it isn't. But your effort went into it. And I took it and made it mine without paying you for you time, and reaped the benefits.

Maybe it isn't stealing, perhaps its slavery. When you illegally download an artists music, you've made them work for nothing. So maybe SONY should make new ads that say "YOU WOULDN'T OWN A SLAVE WOULD YOU?!"

• Members

The picture of the amazing painting isn't the same physical thing as the painting itself, not even close. A song produced in the studio is then produced into hundreds of thousands of identical copies of that same file, which are then identically reproduced another few hundred thousand times. If your $1500 camera printed out oil paintings, that might be a different discussion.

What you're describing in that scenario is intellectual property theft, which is a real thing. Remember the Satriani/Coldplay thing? People have gone to court over that. Problem is that I'm not making any money off of someone's work if I download it illegally.

And I haven't made them work for nothing. I didn't create demand, and the money they get comes from the album I may inevitably buy from them or the ticket sales from the show I may inevitably go to. This is one of the problems of arguing this; that it's impossible to prove damages. How do you prove financial damages from an album that I would not have physically purchased but casually downloaded and never listened to?

• Members

I had a much stronger opinion on this topic 4 years ago. I wasn't hearing anything I liked much anymore except the occasional band that a friend would introduce me to, or albums from established bands that I'd been listening to since the 90s. I began to blame this lack of good music on the fact that music became disposable.

Then I discovered free samplers on the internet like UO or Nylon or iTunes Free. Suddenly, I was opened up to a bunch of music I wouldn't have heard otherwise, and discovered that I liked a lot of it... not ALL of it... but enough to make me realize that there was still a thriving music culture that just doesn't make it the radio.

So now, when I hear new music that really speaks to me, like Austra, or Washed Out, or Neon Indian, or Tame Impala, or whatever, I go out and buy the album on vinyl, and sometimes spend as much as $50 for the deluxe edition. In reality, I'm spending more on music media than ever because there's so much opportunity now to try stuff out and decide if I really dig it or not.

BTW, here's some free Radiohead

http://freeitunessongs.blogspot.com/2011/10/music-radiohead-lotus-flower-jacques.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FreeiTunesDownloads+%28Free+iTunes+Downloads%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

• Members

I download music to see what is good, then I buy the albums I like on vinyl. I try to buy at least a few a month which is more than I ever spent on cds. So in a sense, downloading music means that I spend more on music than before.

I dont buy from itunes because the artist gets {censored} all. I will buy from bandcamp though.

• Members

I pay for what deserves it. with money tight and quality fleeting, I will NOT pay for music without hearing it first. if I don't like it, I don't listen to it again usually, and the musician doesn't lose anything because they would have never had my money in the first place. downloading exposes me to new music, which results in me buying more that I enjoy, and gets me to go to shows, which is also money for the band. if I didn't download it first, that wouldn't have happened.

if you actually think that downloading is a problem and "evil", you have a seriously outmoded way of thinking, just like labels. that hurts the bands more than me checking an album out.

• Members

I download music to see what is good, then I buy the albums I like on vinyl. I try to buy at least a few a month which is more than I ever spent on cds. So in a sense, downloading music means that I spend more on music than before.

I dont buy from itunes because the artist gets {censored} all. I will buy from bandcamp though.

Whole other topic here... why do you buy lofi versions of music you like?

• Members

The picture of the amazing painting isn't the same physical thing as the painting itself, not even close. A song produced in the studio is then produced into hundreds of thousands of identical copies of that same file, which are then identically reproduced another few hundred thousand times. If your $1500 camera printed out oil paintings, that might be a different discussion.

What you're describing in that scenario is intellectual property theft, which is a real thing. Remember the Satriani/Coldplay thing? People have gone to court over that. Problem is that I'm not making any money off of someone's work if I download it illegally.

And I haven't made them work for nothing. I didn't create demand, and the money they get comes from the album I may inevitably buy from them or the ticket sales from the show I may inevitably go to. This is one of the problems of arguing this; that it's impossible to prove damages. How do you prove financial damages from an album that I would not have physically purchased but casually downloaded and never listened to?

Mkay, how about a picture.

Guy goes out into the woods waits ten days and finally captures an amazing picture of a sunset at dawn with a tree and a frog and water droplets and whatever... and you take a picture of his picture that he is selling for $50 and go home and put his picture casually on your wall and don't ever look at. Did you steal from him?

Archived