Way OT: F**K WEDDDING PLANNING

mhuxtable

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We did everything humanly possible to avoid drama. My parents kept their noses out everything, getting involved only when we asked for assistance with a couple of things. My wife's mom, however, offered "suggestions" at every opportunity, and expensive suggestions at that. I knew that my wife didn't come from a well-off family by any stretch, and didn't expect them to pay for anything, but her mom kept coming up with high-priced ideas and then throwing a fit when nobody would listen.

When all was said and done, it went off more or less without a hitch. Her mother continues to try meddling with everything we do, but so far we've blocked her from creating more than a little peripheral drama.

• Members

If you're paying for it they can just go {censored} themselves, seriously.

THIS GUY! {censored}ing right. although its hard to look your mom or grandmother in the eye & say "go {censored} yourself". doesn't exactly promote long term relationships.

• Members

Tell them to but out or pay for it. Weddings never made sense to me. Fork out a {censored} ton of money and possibly split in 5 to 10 years. Best of luck to you and your lady.

and they have offered to pay for things...but it boils down to we don't want that many people at the reception. we want a small intimate affair. and yes the amount of money it costs for a wedding is {censored}ing insane...such a rip off. i swear as soon as you call a food place & say "we want to book catering" & you say the word wedding, the price doubles.

• Members

It's times like this I wonder why gay people even want in on any of this. I 100% support their desire to be able to be in on this {censored}, but man. I'm straight and I want out of the whole deal.

Live in sin with no kids ftw.

• Members

FWIW I'm getting married in 2 weeks and we decided to go to Jamaica for one of those all inclusive wedding / honeymoon things. We told our families when we would be there and if they wanted to go - book your reservations. We didn't understand why we should spend a {censored} ton of money on a day no one else would really remember but everyone wants to plan...The most difficult thing I've had to do to prepare was record our wedding music.

• Members

My wife and I planned our wedding in Vegas. We got a "whale suite" (some wedding package they ran) and hosted the reception there - got married by Elvis. By doing it in Vegas, we got to run the show and everyone just showed up. If they wanted prime rib instead of canapes, they could walk down the street and get one at a $5 buffet :-)

• Members

The year of planning was the worst year of my life. IMO, it is definitely NOT your day. Everybody had something to say and it seemed like nobody respected what we wanted (like no kids at the wedding). People tell me that the wedding/reception was one of those "great" weddings which is cool, but I felt like I was just hosting a big party and not really able to enjoy it. Seems to be the case for a lot of people. :idk:

• Members

My wife (now an ex) got married in the basement of the county courthouse. Ely Nevada, White Pine County.

We did it on a whim one weekend. We had been living together for about 7 years prior to that though, and a wedding was amongst our plans

Relatives tend to ruin weddings.

• Members

Actually first marriages are more around 33%. It's all the failed remarriages that move the percentage for total marriages ending in divorce up to 50%.

No {censored}. I never thought about it, but that makes a lot of sense.

We were in a similar situation - we paid for the vast majority of our wedding, but my mom and nana and my wife's mom all got out of hand and pretty demanding at various times. What I found worked for my side is that I had to very clearly tell them that they could {censored} off because they might not understand that everyone else is making similar demands and it gets stressful.

After the fact we both said that we wish we would have eloped because the weeks leading up to the ceremony were especially stressful. BUT, the day of the ceremony and reception were perfect and we loved every minute of it. I doubt I would do it again given the choice, but I wouldn't trade that day for the world. Planning a wedding really, really sucks. Hard. Just deal with the stress in the best way you can and get dickish with your families if you have to (especially since you are paying for it all) and know that you guys will (most likely) enjoy the {censored} out of your day.

On a side note, we just celebrated our 1st anniversary yesterday.

Best of luck to you guys :wave:

....and me and crohny are gonna come crash your wedding :cop:

Archived