Saw this on TGP - new compact Skreddys Deluxes

RoboPimp

• Members

I DIY'd mine a little while ago. Wasn't too hard. Having those trimmers on the top really opens up the possibilities. Especially the Pregain :thu: I think drasp did it first over at Haunting Mids. That's where I got the idea and info on how to do it

f30eb3bd.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The Screwdriver deluxe is certainly tempting. It's pretty close to a fuzz face as well, right?

I think it might borrow a little from the FF, but it's much more of an OD that can slightly get fuzzy. So if you're looking for fuzz, the SD isn't what you want. I have my SD and and OCD on my board w/ my 74 SF Twin. Between those, I get a good range of grit/boost/dirt. Had a DLS clone on there, but it was a little too "honky" for my tastes. FWIW, it could be because I messed up the build :idk:

• Members

I think it might borrow a little from the FF, but it's much more of an OD that can slightly get fuzzy. So if you're looking for fuzz, the SD isn't what you want. I have my SD and and OCD on my board w/ my 74 SF Twin. Between those, I get a good range of grit/boost/dirt. Had a DLS clone on there, but it was a little too "honky" for my tastes. FWIW, it could be because I messed up the build
:idk:

Touche. I have really been gassing for a FF style fuzz that can do the od and fuzz sounds while also bringing that exploding amp velcroy decay type of sound. The EQD Dirt Transmitter can apparently do this quite well, but the Screwdriver is too snazzy to ignore.

• Members

It's stupid to ignore what the public wants. Seriously. The modders had to go to a lot of trouble, either to transplant the whole thing into a slightly-larger box or to get miniature pots to fit into the available space (and I helped them and gave them pics and specs for the pots they needed to add to replace the trimpots).

I redid my layout to use my standard 16mm pots in a small (1590B) box; everything had to be moved around, everything, to make this happen. Sorry I didn't make 'em like that at the beginning. We all grow and evolve and get better with time. My earlier layouts did employ more space between components and traces and were only 1-sided boards too. It took actually a lot of work and of course a 2-sided PCB to make this happen.

The good news is there's no longer 2 versions of each, and no more big box.

Haven't decided yet on the exact price, but it'll be right near the old prices somewhere.

Also, the Screw Driver is most likely going to be translucent gold over brushed aluminum instead of sparkle red (PhotoShop mockup)...
GoldBoxGraphicsPreview.jpg

I DIY'd mine a little while ago. Wasn't too hard. Having those trimmers on the top really opens up the possibilities. Especially the Pregain
:thu:
I think drasp did it first over at Haunting Mids. That's where I got the idea and info on how to do it

f30eb3bd.jpg

I need to do that on mine. How difficult was the mod, and where did you get the smaller knobs? :) Heck, maybe I should just hire Drasp to do mine...

It's stupid to ignore what the public wants. Seriously. The modders had to go to a lot of trouble, either to transplant the whole thing into a slightly-larger box or to get miniature pots to fit into the available space (and I helped them and gave them pics and specs for the pots they needed to add to replace the trimpots).

That was incredibly cool of you Marc. Kudos. :phil:

I redid my layout to use my standard 16mm pots in a small (1590B) box; everything had to be moved around, everything, to make this happen. Sorry I didn't make 'em like that at the beginning. We all grow and evolve and get better with time. My earlier layouts did employ more space between components and traces and were only 1-sided boards too. It took actually a lot of work and of course a 2-sided PCB to make this happen.

The good news is there's no longer 2 versions of each, and no more big box.

Haven't decided yet on the
exact
price, but it'll be right near the old prices somewhere.

Also, the Screw Driver is most likely going to be translucent gold over brushed aluminum instead of sparkle red (PhotoShop mockup)...

GoldBoxGraphicsPreview.jpg

I got my Screw Driver used from one of the guys here on the forum... I forget who. It's a blue sparkle. Great pedal - it's my go-to for light overdrive, but I was messing with it as part of this Jazzmaster review I'm working on last night, and I could see myself using it for heavier OD stuff too if I could access that pre gain knob easier... which is why I think I'd like to do the mod, or have the mod done at some point.

The gold looks bitchin' Marc. Really nice. :)

• Members
I need to do that on mine. How difficult was the mod, and where did you get the smaller knobs?
:)
Heck, maybe I should just hire Drasp to do mine...

Phil, honestly - it wasn't hard at all if you're comfortable w/ a drill and solder iron (as I believe you are). You just need two of those 9mm "zvex" pots. I have diagrams and Skreddy's instructions somehwere... I'll PM them to you. I can't remember where I got those knobs. Maybe Small Bear? Jameco? The only thing is there's no indicator line on the top (just the side). I used a paint marker to make those lines.

• Members

If i had some spare cash i would totally send my Lunar Module into Marc (or someone else if they were doin it) to be Deluxe'd.

I have a Screwdriver Deluxe, and the versatility with the trimpots on top is huge, i can use it as a cleannnnest of clean boosts, to a nasty nasty sounding nasty thing with lots of oauhgosrsaoug and noaughrpoaugh. It is a bit noisy though.....!

• Members

Admittedly I have not tried anything from Toneczar but I have tried a few D*A*M and Skreddy pieces and I just cant see the allure. Sure they booth look cool and are built like tanks but for the price I don't feel they offer anything all that special, and I'm not afraid to drop some serious coin on gear.

Marc is quite reasonable on his prices IMO. What happens to them after they leave his hands is out of his hands.

Once he can no longer build something to his satisfaction (due to parts not being available), he refuses to build it any more. I commend him for that... but when that happens, the prices tend to start to go up on the used market. And then there's the "want it now" premium that you see with pedals with a waiting list - sometimes the instant gratification folks will pay a bit extra for a near-new pedal that they can get NOW instead of having to wait a few months for a new one to be built for them. Again, that's out of his hands.

Archived