NAMM 2009 Rumor Mill

bruto

• Members

Does anyone think the mythical S90XS will ever become a reality. I was kind thinking if they didn't announce it at '09 NAMM, it is never going to happen. I'm pretty happy with my S90ES though.

I've been thinking about this and believe it will be so. Just a hunch I have.

I would really be happy if they did an S76XS. With wheels mounted ABOVE the keys.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cool, how does it compare to the actual synth you think?

Can't say, I've never owned an OB-X or OB-8. I do have a Matrix 1000, but haven't A-Bed them.

I was gassing hard for Styx sounds, and pulled the trigger maybe a year ago or more. Unfortunately, my softies have been sitting unused for quite a while. I really need to figure out how to incorporate them into my setup.

That said, the hour or so I've spent with OP-X has been extremely gratifying.

• Members

Im wondering if Kurzweil will follow up on the K2661, I am guessing that probably not since there is no market for hardware samplers and the PC3X is basically an upgraded K2661 without the 128 megs loadable samples section...there is hope anyways

• Members
Im wondering if Kurzweil will follow up on the K2661, I am guessing that probably not since there is no market for hardware samplers and the PC3X is basically an upgraded K2661 without the 128 megs loadable samples section...there is hope anyways

The PC3x is much more than just an upgraded K2661. Just about everything was upgraded and extended plus it has the VA-1 on it and many many upgraded samples and a far superior V.A.S.T. system.

As far as pictures of the PC361 which I'm sure many have seen already:

kurzweil-pc361.jpg

• Members

That is pretty little board. It'll put the PC3 platform in the hands of more players, I think. Cool.

And the prices have dropped for the 76 and 88 key versions. For instance last week the lowest price I saw for a brand new PC3x was $2999 or so. Now I've seen two places that have it around $2540 today....and this is for brand new ones, not refurbs or open boxes or returns.

• Members

The PC361 looks great I did not knew about that when is it coming out?

I did not liked the PC3 because of the size, I prefer 61 key / synth keys,
but I was hoping to have something were I could load my own sample library and take it anywere with me, for me its still missing the sampler section

• Members

The PC361 looks great I did not knew about that when is it coming out?

I did not liked the PC3 because of the size, I prefer 61 key / synth keys,

but I was hoping to have something were I could load my own sample library and take it anywere with me, for me its still missing the sampler section

You might be happy with the K2661:

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/Product.php?id=43

• Members
Native Instruments and REAKTOR 6 ???

:thu::eek:

Not that I've heard (and I would have).

While I do expect R6 sometime this year, the earliest it would be announced is Musikmesse, and more likely not until AES.

Your NI forum moderator,
ew

• Members
The PC3x is much more than just an upgraded K2661. Just about everything was upgraded and extended plus it has the VA-1 on it and many many upgraded samples and a far superior V.A.S.T. system.

Just to add to what Goofball Jones has said : The PC3 does have extensive VAST capabilities and is upgraded in many areas over the K2661. All of the dsps blocks however, are not carried over from the K2 into the PC3.

The K2661 maintains an ability to have flexibility - it can load and process samples and external signals.

I would not use the term far superior VAST system. Its evolved.

I believe it will be very popular machine (PC361).

Here is my PC361 - I got a new camera so I will take better pictures of it shortly. The PC361 is dark blue... not black!

pc361aqy8.jpg

• Members
Do you think theres a chance of an Oberheim VST coming out from either Arturia or Gforce? Or at least any new softsynth from Arturia?

Unless Arturia move beyond their current "TAE" code, which consistently provides ballpark emulations that are lucky to be 80% of the way there, I could care less what they do.

But Gmedia is likely to launch their OB-8 emulation finally. It's been at least 4 years in the making, which I hope they've used to tweak the harmonics and tone more than turning it into an Xpander. I wouldn't want to see another Minimonsta - IE nice features, but a crap Moog emulation. But before anyone dismisses it, understand a large part of what makes a VA sound like a VA is the fact that every voice is cloned globally - there is no proper variation on each voice. A real VCO synth has different timings as well as tuning per voice, and most emulations only ever go as far as giving you a single unison detune knob, which is an extremely crude half-arsed way to emulate variation between voices.

Apparently this new Gmedia emulation uses the per-voice approach, like OP-X does. You haven't got much choice with an Oberheim emulation really, since one of its "signature sounds" is polyphonic portamento slide, which only sounds the way it does because the timings tend to be set slightly different on each voice card. If Gmedia have done it right (and that's still a big IF) then I think it'll start a new trend, at least as far as detail level in vintage emulations go. So it's definitely one to pay attention to. What'll suck is if it turns out to be a lesser emulation than OP-X but then gets more publicity since it'll have a Mac version :)

Btw You can hear the new Gmedia Oberheim emulation on the Gforce software website. Follow the webcast link in the first news item, and then go to 20:38 in their podcast to hear it. 21:38 gives it away, since it's an example of polyphonic portamento slide.

• Members

At least one thing I was looking forward to won't be at the show... from Roger Linn's site:

December 9, 2008:

Dave and I have been hard at work on the new design of LinnDrum II and now have a better idea of the ship date, which we currently estimate to be during the third quarter of 2009. I wish we could ship sooner but there's still a lot of work to do and it's important to us that we get it right. As a result, we won't be showing it at the NAMM show in January 2009. Thanks so much for your patience. We think it will be worth the wait. Also, many thanks to all who have signed onto the email list and we wish you a very happy holiday season.

• Members

Come on guys, you have far more choice right now from companies that actually try to stay afloat with good ideas. You've got an awesome choice in modular modules, and you don't have to solder anything yourself if you don't want to. You've got several really nice monosynths to choose from and absolutely amazing software - what exactly are you waiting for? To have it priced at $199, together with a free puppy?

Why is that a bad thing?

"Bang for the Buck" is always an important consideration, but it will especially be so in 2009. Granted, some of the new products developed in 2008 will not have been designed with budget-minded player in mind, so we may not see pro-quality-consumer-priced gear until 2010, but there will still be a call for it.

I think the days of $8,000 workstations, $3,500 stage pianos, and $2,500 analog synths are pretty much over, and there's a tremendous need for instruments whose quality begets such prices to come way down in price while retaining their originality and quality. It's not an impossible proposition, either; I think pro keys-makers will be faced with a "do or die" option this next year when it comes to finding ways to bring manufacturing costs way down, leaving plenty of room for dealers to make a decent profit and allowing players to buy more gear without having to do so only after taking out (another) mortgage loan.

• Members

Cool, how does it compare to the actual synth you think?

Lacks the FAT sound of discrete VCO's in real OB-X. Overall, doesn't have characteristic lush texture of OB-X. OP-X is a very good synth on its own. But no matter how hard you try you can't make it sound like this (VCO cloud from the real ob-x) - requires either BIG speakers or good headphones. On the other hand, if we take average, question is how many people can even hear this recording properly, as spectra goes all the way down to 20 Hz, shaking the house as if earthquake is taking place. If you prefer music here are a few notes from the real OB-X. Now compare that a few times with the soft in this OP-X recording and you'll get the idea.

I guess that answers your question. However, keep in mind OP-X is $99 and real OB-X is something like $3.5k these days. IMHO, it's worth investing in OP-X for start, later you can upgrade to real thing.

• Members

Why is that a bad thing?

Right now the lower-end keyboards have a {censored}ty feel. Absolute {censored}. Cheapest, lowest common denominator plastic clacking keys that feel like stepping on a putrid mushroom with your bare feet and then hitting gravel, while earlier, when budget keyboards weren't that ridiculously budget, you could find at least a few good-feeling machines without breaking the bank.

Plus, they cut out aftertouch from the lower-class synths. Now that's just stupid, since it doesn't cost a fortune to add (and the engine's always capable of receiving it).

"Bang for the Buck" is always an important consideration, but it will especially be so in 2009.

Did you read the December Gear Thread? Did you see that somehow come to a grinding halt due to the credit crunch? Music instruments are luxury products, always have been, people will continue to buy stuff.

I think the days of $8,000 workstations, $3,500 stage pianos, and $2,500 analog synths are pretty much over

Yes, please keep that in mind when the Motif ZS is released in 2011 or so.

and there's a tremendous need for instruments whose quality begets such prices to come
way
down in price while retaining their originality and quality.

There's no need for instruments since people are perfectly happy with a {censored}ty 25-key controller and a cracked copy of FL Studio.

If you didn't have piano lessons on a real piano, the chance that you will give a hoot about the build quality is going to be low. This is why those entry level piano threads always feature folks who want to be done with it for $199.

• Members

Where did you hear about that, one anxiously wonders?

There was a big thread back on Analogue Heaven mailing list from when Buchla, Roger Linn, Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim were at an AES Panel discussion. I believe the information comes from that Panel discussion.

Here's the pics of the meeting:

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/news/index.php#aes_panel

Here's the quote:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2008/10/synth-pioneers.html

"Update via yotsuba&! in the comments:

"i talked to Tom Oberheim- he's currently in the process of remaking the SEM module- just like the original, not digital, not midi, etc." "

Archived