NAMM 2009 Rumor Mill

bruto

• Members

The magazines used to do 'sequencer shootout' type articles where they compare features, but I haven't seen one of those articles in a
long
time. Maybe there's a site that does it now?

Nah, they just realized that all modern sequencers have become so bloated that they already include every feature. :)

Actually, check the scaling numbers over at Dawbench.. It's quite interesting to see just how many more plugins Reaper can run compared to Cubase on the same hardware, and just how poorly Sonars performance seems to be in comparison..

http://www.dawbench.com/dawbenchdsp-x-scaling.htm

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not as much as Yamaha would like. I think Cubases popularity has dropped massively in recent years. How much is down to competition, and how much the fact that it hasn't been pirated in nearly 4 years (which means no easy ways to try non-crippled versions), who can say. But Cubase has definitely become way less popular IMO. Don't just take my word though.. check the Google trend for the search terms Cubase and Steinberg.

Now check for Ableton & FL Studio

Of course, Google isn't the only measure of things. Just funny how its data ties in with my own experiences. It's also interesting to note in which countries the search terms are popular. This also happens to show that Cubase is more popular in Europe, whilst Fruity Loops is popular in Soviet Russia, Sonar in Japan, and Ableton is the DAW of choice for leprechauns of all ages.

Google Trends ... Didn't know about that ... thanks ...

• Members

I'll guess - 'sampling option' for PC3.

But I hope it's something else.

It is physically impossible to put a sampling option into the PC3. The PC3 is samplewise a closed system. Only expansion boards can bring new sounds based on new samples into it.

• Members

It is physically impossible to put a sampling option into the PC3. The PC3 is samplewise a closed system. Only expansion boards can bring new sounds based on new samples into it.

Well, in existing PC3's you can't. But nothing's stopping them from making a PC3s or something...one that has sampling built in. Much like the K2000 became the K2000s with sampling.

But I seriously doubt they'd do this. :D

• Members

No doubt he will be doing his magic and I'm very happy with KORG's plans to uploads Videos. I see no reason why the excitement of the show cannot be shared with those on-line looking in. Videos even if taken with Mr "Shakey Cam" are great and the build lots of Buzz.

That said.... I have a sneaky feeling KORG are up to something.
:eek:

Regards.

Sharp.

Hey Sharp!!! I didn't know you were on here as well! :D

I just signed up on here and its good to see a familiar face! :)

Nice avatar ;)

anyways...do you know something about Korg we don't with that Sneaky feeling?

also are you going to NAMM?

puravida

DJ

• Members

while i'd love to see a sampling option for the pc3, i'm not going to hold my breath. i can't see it happening.

it seems a reasonable possibility that kurzweil might announce the expansion boards for the pc3.

That's actually what I'm hoping for. Perhaps a kick ass Piano expansion. Larger samples and then run through their layers and effects on the PC3 to create a fabulous piano that people will still complain about. :D

Seriously, there isn't a piano....real acoustic, sampled or emulated....that someone somewhere hasn't complained about. :facepalm:

• Members

Impossible unless Kurzweil decides to make something like this for the PC3:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=kurzweil+sampling+option&rkg=1

• Members

Impossible unless Kurzweil decides to make something like this for the PC3:

This is primarily an I/O option that adds audio inputs from which you can sample. K2xxx has sample memory and sample playback capabilities regardless of sampling option presence. PC3, however, does not, and there is absolutely no way to add them without redesigning the whole board.

• Members

This is primarily an I/O option that adds audio inputs from which you can sample. K2xxx has sample memory and sample playback capabilities regardless of sampling option presence. PC3, however, does not, and there is absolutely no way to add them without redesigning the whole board.

Difficult - but not impossible.

I highly, extremely doubt, that's Kurzweil namm doings. I just threw the idea out there for fun.

• Members

Yes, it's impossible to add sampling to a PC3. Kurzweil is incapable of ever coming out with a sampling option to the PC3....EVER....do not question Megakazbek as he obviously has vast (V.A.S.T.) knowledge of the PC3 and has the design schematics and intimately knows the inner workings of the PC3.

So obviously he's either an employee of Kurzweil or he's a _______(fill in the blank)

• Members
do not question Megakazbek as he obviously has vast (V.A.S.T.) knowledge of the PC3 and has the design schematics and intimately knows the inner workings of the PC3.

So obviously he's either an employee of Kurzweil or he's a spy with Betty Davis eyes.

:wave:

Archived