NAMM 2009 Rumor Mill

bruto

• Members

No way.... Musicians are crazy.... I have starved to buy gear.

My comment had little do with sales and more to do with the financing that business require to operate and bring new products to market. You would be surprised how much of business, even big established businesses, is run on short term credit.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sure that there are a few companies that are badly exposed to the financial crisis by being overleveraged and unable to get new loans that they'd planned on. That might not stop announcements at NAMM, though, since if they can get enough interest in a new product (orders from major outlets a plus) they might impress a lender to keep them going.

I just hope the smaller companies doing the more interesting stuff don't have to fold, a la Electrix.

• Members

As much as I've enjoyed abusing the recent "sales" at online stores recently, it's left me feeling sort of depressed. There really can't be those sort of discounts unless the musical equipment industry is struggling.

If they're trying that hard to clear inventory, they're not buying from the manufacturers.

• Members

Does anyone think that one of the Big Three will reveal an analog synth at NAMM?

We ponder this to great depths every year about this time, and I've always been optimistic. However, I'm beginning to loose faith.

And with 7 analog synths right in front of me, I'm not sure why I really want to see the big 3 release another one. I'm sort of glad that the big 3 resample pianos, epianos, and organs every year because those are getting pretty damn good.

Also, we have DSI, Moog, and all the boutique synth makers producing some really cool analog gear.

• Members

Lets put it to rest, and accept that Roland, Yamaha, and Korg have exactly zero incentive to compete with the boutiquers by coming out with an analog synth of any kind, let alone bring to market anything that they can't make huge profits on with as little R&D investment as possible.

Besides the fact that for these companies, it's been done long ago, theres this:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iAwwGX8vCTM-7HXauFxXAFeL-lygD957OI100

"Thousands of factories have closed as global demand for Chinese exports plunges, and workers have clashed with police in protests over unpaid wages. Domestic industries such as real estate and auto sales also have cooled, leading to more job losses."

So when the riots start this year and the Communist Party is killing people in the streets, we will be glad the big three didn't put all their muscle behind dinosaur technology that uses highly specialized parts. We will be happy that their latest offerings are engineered like a Nintendo Wii and its software, and not engineered like an Andromeda. Why? Because that's the only way forward.

• Members

I'll go out on a limb -- not that this will ever happen -- and say that if Korg were to put out a new top-end Electribe with a two part analog monosynth and priced it around $1499 retail ($1200 out the door), it would sell very well -- even in the present economic climate.

• Members

I'll go out on a limb -- not that this will ever happen -- and say that if Korg were to put out a new top-end Electribe with a two part analog monosynth and priced it around $1499 retail ($1200 out the door), it would sell very well -- even in the present economic climate.

i'd buy it.

• Members

As posted by vanillawafer:

Interesting they say the Motif XS is the top selling board on the market

"The Motif XS is the top selling sampling music workstation." That qualifies it quite a bit. My guess on best selling keyboard (outside of home keyboards) is likely either Korg X-50, Yamaha MM-6, or Roland Juno D - maybe even the Microkorg.

And who is that Yamaha guy talking to? It's bad enough that they have nothing to announce at NAMM, but why have this fellow face someone who's not even in the room?

• Members

Lets put it to rest, and accept that Roland, Yamaha, and Korg have exactly
zero
incentive to compete with the boutiquers by coming out with an analog synth of any kind, let alone bring to market anything that they can't make huge profits on with as little R&D investment as possible.

Let's also accept this as a very good thing, as the last thing you want to see is that thriving ecosystem of small, forward-thinking companies catering to specialized needs being killed off by a Juno-70, a CS-90 or a PolyEight.

Come on guys, you have far more choice right now from companies that actually try to stay afloat with good ideas. You've got an awesome choice in modular modules, and you don't have to solder anything yourself if you don't want to. You've got several really nice monosynths to choose from and absolutely amazing software - what exactly are you waiting for? To have it priced at $199, together with a free puppy?

• Members
Come on guys, you have far more choice right now from companies that actually try to stay afloat with good ideas. You've got an awesome choice in modular modules, and you don't have to solder anything yourself if you don't want to. You've got several really nice monosynths to choose from and absolutely amazing software - what exactly are you waiting for? To have it priced at $199, together with a free puppy?

:lol::thu:

• Members

I have to agree with Mr. Yoozer (and I can't stand software synths myself). If you want a killer analogue monosynth there are already plenty of choices available. If you can handle a modular synth, the possibilities are even more numerous. And even if you won't settle for anything less than an eight-voice-polyphonic analogue, there are at least three modern choices to choose from. New analogues will never be really cheap, so just start saving up!

- CM

• Members
As posted by vanillawafer:

http://www.motifator.com/motv/movideos.php

Interesting they say the Motif XS is the top selling board on the market

Looks like no new board at NAMM but they will sweeten XS ownership with 1 gig of free sound updates (Jan to April 2009). Plus some new sound banks for sale.

:wave:

Does anyone think the mythical S90XS will ever become a reality. I was kind thinking if they didn't announce it at '09 NAMM, it is never going to happen. I'm pretty happy with my S90ES though.

Archived