NAMM 2009 Rumor Mill

bruto

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use da webbernet dees days. Tradeshows are obsolete. Any company that waits for NAMM to announce a new product is quite foolish, since it only increases the length of their own product release cycle, while the competition can release to market faster. Every major music gear website will have a customer waiting list accumulating for any hot new product, anytime of the year, regardless of any tradeshow announcements.

You're absolutely right, which is why Summer NAMM is basically scrapped as far as synths are concerned, unless it happens to tie in with a release cycle anyway. I think the main reason they're still going with the Winter one is it's the one time when everybody in the industry can meet up, and without that there's not really an equivalent event. Plus it gives people a way to see how much interest something is generating (outside of people posting in forums!). So it's probably still a good way to generate some orders. But I see it dying out.

I wonder how quickly Korg will get around to posting their own videos btw? If they take more than a few hours to do it then everyone will probably have already seen the products from 20 different video angles via other people and their phones given the way stuff is going these days.. :)

Guest Anonymous

I don't think you'll see a Wave Rack. I believe Clavia has deemed rack versions to be unprofitable.

I don't think so. They still make the Nord 2x and Electro 2 in rack form. How about this. Nord rack units usually sell for $100-$300 less than the keyboard versions. Right? The Wave sells for $2699 which would make the Wave Rack$2499. I don't think alot of people are willing to spend $2499 for a Wave Rack and Nord knows this and I feel is one of the reasons they haven't released it.

Did you notice MF has Electro 2 Racks for $899?

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nord-Electro-2-Rackmount-Synthesizer?sku=702627

GODDY

• Members
-- Korg will show off the Fidget, an inexpensive pair of MIDI controller gloves with each finger operating a trigger, for those of you that like to drum your fingers on the desk.

Ya know, I've been thinking about building something like that for a while... not direct MIDI out, but to plug into my Alesis D$ trigger inputs and then to MIDI.

I'm thinking piezos in rubber on the fingertips....

Because I do, to the annoyance of others, drum with my fingers :p

• Members
Ya know, I've been thinking about building something like that for a while... not direct MIDI out, but to plug into my Alesis D$ trigger inputs and then to MIDI.

I'm thinking piezos in rubber on the fingertips....

Because I do, to the annoyance of others, drum with my fingers
:p

I do this, too, much to the consternation of my wife. :D I thought I saw somewhere once that someone had marketed such a device already, but I don't remember any details, or perhaps I'm just making it up.

• Members
speculation. He's almost, but not quite, wrong.

Maybe a Little Phatty Fooger? A limited-control OSC/AMP/ENV combo in a Fooger pedal, with pitch-to-CV conversion for guitar control.

Also, isn't the MuRF just one step away from being a vocoder? Instead of the the "sequenced" filter changes that are programmed into the thing, they could add an analysis input and VCA control over the filter bands.

That's my vote. The MF-106 vocoder pedal. :thu:

• Members

I keep hearing that Korg will/should release a new Electribe.

I'm pretty much set on a SX-1 right now, watching a few auctions on eBay and so on.

However IF Korg should make a new Electribe, the (unnaturally stable) prices for a older model will drop, so I'd be a fool to buy now.
Are these rumors, leaked information or just whishful thinking?

I think I'll wait till NAMM is over before I buy one.
I just recently discovered how much fun these x0x-style sequencers can be for drum tracks (bought an ER-1) so I guess I can wait some more.

Archived