NAMM 2009 Rumor Mill

bruto

• Members

Unless there's a last minute change Cubase 5 WILL be announced. The only question is if it'll be known as "Cubase 5" or what new name they'll switch to?..
:)

If you're going to stick with Cubase, and want decent 64 bit support, then there's not going to be much option but to "upgrade". Steinbergs attitude towards its own customers is atrocious at times though, bordering on contempt. I will make it a point to spend some time with other DAW's before I commit down that path. It's a shame it also seems beyond Yamaha to kick their ass into shape in the bug fixing department before they ship new versions.. it's a "Cubase tradition" that needs to end.

Sonar is becoming the PC standard DAW. I haven't tried the producer edition, but the home edition is excelent. Most issues from 7 were fixed with 8, and it runs great on Vista, duo or quad core, etc.

Steinberg lost the Mac market to ProTools, now the PC market is on the line. Cubase 5 is really going to have to be something to regain their position.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unless there's a last minute change Cubase 5 WILL be announced. The only question is if it'll be known as "Cubase 5" or what new name they'll switch to?..
:)

If you're going to stick with Cubase, and want decent 64 bit support, then there's not going to be much option but to "upgrade". Steinbergs attitude towards its own customers is atrocious at times though, bordering on contempt. I will make it a point to spend some time with other DAW's before I commit down that path. It's a shame it also seems beyond Yamaha to kick their ass into shape in the bug fixing department before they ship new versions.. it's a "Cubase tradition" that needs to end.

I've been using Cubase for a long time. Had a brief go with Cakewalk, Logic and a few others (discs are still around somewhere), but always went back to Cubase. Lost Logic when it went mac only. :mad:

Cakewalk/Sonar won't get my business again until it can record midi release velocity, but when I wrote the company about it quite a few years ago, they basically said it wouldn't happen. :mad:

I'd be willing to switch if there were a viable alternative - but I haven't found one yet.

Still on SX3, but if C5 comes out, I'll probably get it. :lol:

• Members

Sonar is becoming
the
PC standard DAW.

Not here in Yurp, I think - don't underestimate the numbers of Ableton and FL Studio.

I also see a lot more controllers getting shipped with a Cubase or Ableton lite than with Sonar here; but I'd like to know how much of a role something like that plays.

• Members

Say, how many here think it's possible that Kurzweil will take the PC3, slap a ribbon controller and a sampler, perhaps expand the ROM and the presets a bit, and call it the K3000 or something? I know people have been expecting the K3000 for ever, could this be the year?

I would hope so, but then my K2661 would seem older,er than it already is. I'd like to see a K3500 with 256 note polyphony (just bypass 128), full sampling standard (not an option), very expandable with ROM boards, as well as the ability to store user samples/sounds in flash memory... I could go on but it's time to get back to work.

• Members

Say, how many here think it's possible that Kurzweil will take the PC3, slap a ribbon controller and a sampler, perhaps expand the ROM and the presets a bit, and call it the K3000 or something? I know people have been expecting the K3000 for ever, could this be the year?

Yes ... They are making it for me to demo ... However, I'd be surprised if it was actually showing at NAMM ... Surprised but not shocked ... Shocked if it looked good, though ... Why are Kurzweils so aggressively homely ... ???

• Members

Maybe this year, but definitely not now. I'd say announcement late 2009, shipping 2010 for the K3000 (or whatever it will be called).

• Members

This year? No chance. I would say, no new Kxxx in the next 2-3 years. Personally, I'm not happy with their decision to produce a PC3 because I play live and I relly on my user created samples. IMO, by just adding sample playback into what they sell as pc3, they could have call it a k2700, sell it and everybody would be happy. Then, they could make a pc version without a sampling feature for those who doesn't need it and sell it at a lower price point. In that way, anybody would be happy.

No, their is a serious hole in their product line. The k2600 and k2661 are ancient keyboards and absolutely not an option these days, at least for me. The k2600 has a monster weight and ancient periphery (floppy, scsi), and the k2661 is not better (smart media) and with the worst keybed compared to the competitive products in the same class.

• Members

Yes ... They are making it for me to demo ... However, I'd be surprised if it was actually showing at NAMM ... Surprised but not shocked ... Shocked if it looked good, though ... Why are Kurzweils so aggressively homely ... ???

Are you actually going to be one of the beta-testers? That's way cool...

sani, you can't deny that it was a good business move by Kurzweil to release the PC3, though... it's selling out at the online stores and the few brick and mortar stores that carry them...

• Members

Homer-Simpson-3.jpg
mmmmmmmm delicious irony

I know... as silly as it sounds, I really wish the KARMA had the triton arpeggiator included - which seems odd to me it wasn't. If for anything so that arp'd programs for the Triton synth would play the same on the KARMA.

J.

• Members

Actually, the OASYS has not been discontinued at all. It is still very much in production and on sale. Where do people get these "facts" from?

My question is where do you get your facts? Your right, Its not technically "discontinued" but nobody is actually selling and the Retailers aren't getting it in and you can't order it off Korgs Website....so to Consumers it is kinda continued. so we'll see what NAMM has to offer. :)

puravida

DJ

• Members

maybe not a new K-Series, but there will be a "new secret weapon"...

http://community.sonikmatter.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42332

• Members

Not here in Yurp, I think - don't underestimate the numbers of Ableton and FL Studio. I also see a lot more controllers getting shipped with a Cubase or Ableton lite than with Sonar here; but I'd like to know how much of a role something like that plays.

Not as much as Yamaha would like. I think Cubases popularity has dropped massively in recent years. How much is down to competition, and how much the fact that it hasn't been pirated in nearly 4 years (which means no easy ways to try non-crippled versions), who can say. But Cubase has definitely become way less popular IMO. Don't just take my word though.. check the Google trend for the search terms Cubase and Steinberg.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=cubase

http://www.google.com/trends?q=steinberg

Now check for Ableton & FL Studio

http://www.google.com/trends?q=ableton

http://www.google.com/trends?q=FL+Studio

Of course, Google isn't the only measure of things. Just funny how its data ties in with my own experiences. It's also interesting to note in which countries the search terms are popular. This also happens to show that Cubase is more popular in Europe, whilst Fruity Loops is popular in Soviet Russia, Sonar in Japan, and Ableton is the DAW of choice for leprechauns of all ages.

Archived