The Official Photography Gear Thread

echodeluxe

• Members
Absolutely.

I'm terrible about that, I talk DSLR stuff all the time, but I really never talk about the stills side.

I'm terribly neglectful of my camera's still side. I need to shoot more stills.

The em-5 is also way classier. Did you get it in black or silver?

They're both
:love:
looking

Silver! :love:

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

got my oly E-M5 today! here it is next to my 1977 minolta

em5.jpg

this thing is slick! holy goddamn yes. lenses I have are the 45mm f1.8 in photo, and the 20mm f1.7 pancake which took the picture (gf1). need a wide prime. can't make up my mind between the 14mm f2.5 pancake which can be found for $160 on ebay, or the 12mm f2 that costs 5 times as much. :freak: ...actually, just putting a multiplier on that number probably did it for me. 14mm it is. $600 difference isn't worth half a stop and 2 extra mm.

• Members

got my oly E-M5 today! here it is next to my 1977 minolta

em5.jpg

this thing is slick! holy goddamn yes. lenses I have are the 45mm f1.8 in photo, and the 20mm f1.7 pancake which took the picture (gf1). need a wide prime. can't make up my mind between the 14mm f2.5 pancake which can be found for $160 on ebay, or the 12mm f2 that costs 5 times as much.
:freak:
...actually, just putting a multiplier on that number probably did it for me. 14mm it is. $600 difference isn't worth half a stop and 2 extra mm.

totally missed this!!!!

digging this thread up to ask if you had gotten it. and you have already!

My god that thing is sick looking!

Impressions so far?

How is IBIS??? it looks great from the demo's I've seen, can you speak to that at all?

Got my taxes back and a new camera is going to get bought this summer with it.

Now I just need to decide what to buy.

gh2, 5d mkII or III, Black Magic Cinema Camera, Sony fs100/700...

a ton of options available this summer

• Members

totally missed this!!!!

digging this thread up to ask if you had gotten it. and you have already!

My god that thing is sick looking!

Impressions so far?

How is IBIS??? it looks great from the demo's I've seen, can you speak to that at all?

Got my taxes back and a new camera is going to get bought this summer with it.

Now I just need to decide what to buy.

gh2, 5d mkII or III, Black Magic Cinema Camera, Sony fs100/700...

a ton of options available this summer

Impressions!

Pros: Smaller than it looks in photos! Solid-feeling metal. The grip for the thumb is more awesome than you'd think! Solid solid build quality! IS is mindblowing, frankly. I haven't done any comparasons yet, but I set it up so that I could see it in action when I half press the shutter. It's like having a dolly cam. So smooth! ISO 3200 is perfectly useable. Better output than that of my old canon DSLR. Colors are always spot-on. They're working some kind of WB magic in there. Way better than my GF1. So much customizability, too! Viewfinder is really nice! A buit small by my standards, but that's more a limitation of the M4/3 specs, and not the camera itself. The shutter sound is positivly awesome! Normally i wouldn't care, but there's just something about it! It's silent and muffled just in the *right* way, at least compared to DSLRs and the *clack* of the GF1. It's more of a *fflip* instead of a *clack* or *snap*.

Haven't tried video much yet, so no opinion. I heard it's great but that the GH2 beats it in dynamic range for video, but loses for anything photo-wise. Also, one critisism I hear about online is the "hum" or "hiss" the camera emits. I don't hear it unless I'm alone in a room. People made a huge deal out of practically nothing, IMO.

Cons: Don't like the buttons. Small, weirdly shapes and awkward for my big fingers. Have to use nail some of the time. They don't "give" right, it feels, but they work. Don't like where the on-off button is. Have to use both hands to turn it on. On the GF1 or on my old DSLR, on-off was reachable either by thumb or finger, holding it one-handed. Battery feels short. Charged it two days ago and it's already nearly dead. Granted I've been playing around with it and showing it off a lot. Menus are a {censored}ing mess! I hear that's standard for olympus. Thankfully there's "balloon popups" for each item when you hit the info button. Gotta spend a couple hours in the menus trying stuff and customizing, or else you probably won't enjoy the shooting experience. EVF->screen toggles automatically when you bring your eye near it, but I find it a bit slow and weird at times. I set it up so that the after-shot preview stays untill you do something else (cool!), but switching between EVF and screen overrides that. Like I take a shot with the EVF, then move my head back to preview it on the screen, I can't do that. Moving brings me to live preview again. Minor nitpicks.

All in all, totally worth it! But not perfect. Most cons I'll just get used to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So my trip to Yosemite is in about 3 weeks.

Just checked a lunar calendar and I'm looking at a full moon while I'm there. :( Bummed because I wanted to do some Milky Way timelapse stuff. I'll settle for a moon rise over Yosemite though.

Any tips on photographing the moon? Tried to do it on my last backpacking trip... no matter what I did the photo came out poor. either the moon was just a glowing orb, the horizon was out of focus or way overexposed...

Anyone taken good lunar photographs? Halp! :wave:

Archived