The Official Photography Gear Thread

echodeluxe

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm about ready to finally get a DSLR, but the thing is I need it for video more than pics. I've done all of my video work on either pro DV Panasonic/Sony camcorders or smaller digital camcorders. I want to use it on my job as a multi-media person capturing live events.

Right now they have me using a toshiba camcorder and some off brand point and shoot. I'd make my life way easier if I could just film video with the DSLR and simultaneously capture images without having to switch anything up (which I'm pretty sure a lot of them can do but maybe I'm misreading?)

Right now I'm thinking of getting a T2i body (is the T3i even any better?) and a nikkor lens in the 30-55mm range? I'm kind of overwhelmed by all of the options.

• Members

Canon is still probably the best choice for video in a DSLR. Nikon is good, but I think Canon is probably a bit better in terms of handling. The T3i is a significant improvement over the T2i. The T3i uses the same 16MP sensor as it's big brother, the EOS 7D. But, you'll need to use Canon lenses for the most part. Using a Nikon lens on a Canon body requires an adapter and you lose auto-focus. Stick with a good Canon lens. The kit lens that comes with the T3i is probably good enough, unless you're a pro or something.

• Members

Wait, I thought the Canon could take Nikon lenses, ahhh

I'm actually starting to lean towards the D5100 now anyways...or maybe I just want to grow up to be like subs?

Nope. You'll need an adapter. The two use completely different lens mounts.

The D5100 is an excellent choice. It'll take just about any Nikon lens, and has a great 16.2MP sensor, the same sensor as in the much more expensive D7000, and more than you'll probably ever need. . It's the only Nikon body (including the new $4,000 D800) optimized for video (it has an articulating LCD). It also comes with the Nikkor 18-55 kit lens, which, although plasticy, and it uses a plastic mount, is one of Nikon's sleepers. It's crazy sharp.

• Members

Yea, it seems like I want to be able to use Nikon lenses as easily as possible. Not that Autofocus is a huge priority. Thinking of throwing a little bit more money at the panasonic Lumix gh2. It seems like it's THE video dslr if video is more important than still to you.

• Members

Yea, it seems like I want to be able to use Nikon lenses as easily as possible. Not that Autofocus is a huge priority. Thinking of throwing a little bit more money at the panasonic Lumix gh2. It seems like it's THE video dslr if video is more important than still to you.

Most important reviewers (eg. Thom Hogan) rates the Lumix GH2 as the #1 for video. You give it up on the stills end though, with that m4/3 sensor. My guess is that you won't be able to tell the difference between that and the D5100, and the D5100 is much more versatile. Plus, you will be very limited in lens choices with the Lumix, compared to Nikon. Nikon makes the best glass in the world.

• Members

Wait, I thought the Canon could take Nikon lenses, ahhh

I'm actually starting to lean towards the D5100 now anyways...or maybe I just want to grow up to be like subs?

Do it. Feels good being all growed up.

• Members
Most important reviewers (eg. Thom Hogan) rates the Lumix GH2 as the #1 for video. You give it up on the stills end though, with that m4/3 sensor. My guess is that you won't be able to tell the difference between that and the D5100, and the D5100 is much more versatile. Plus, you will be very limited in lens choices with the Lumix, compared to Nikon. Nikon makes the best glass in the world.

you can put nikon glass on the lumix ;)

• Members

you can use Nikon glass on a Canon body using a $10 adapter.

I have a t2i and shoot video on it pretty much exclusively with nikkors.

You effectively lose auto focus in video mode of any DSLR so this is not an issue.

You'll need lenses with aperture rings, but tons of Nikkors have them externally mounted(most? All?)

I have like 18 nikon lenses that I use on my t2i.

The gh2 is THE BEST dslr for video out there for the money right now.

The only thing I'd preach to you is that if you're filming concerts in low light, the canon's do great there too.

The gh2 can be awesome in low light, but you might have to hack it.

Canon dslr's can take photos during movie making, but it interrupts the video for like 2 seconds.

I think the gh2 can take stills with no jitter or stop in the movie file.

If video is your priority, go t3i or gh2.

You can use Nikon lenses on either.

• Members

are you sure? I saw panasonic's website and nikon lenses weren't on the whatever there compatibility chart was. Not sure how the 4/3s vs APS-C sensors affects that?

Absolutelly, as long as we're talking manual lenses. I've done it with my GF1 and it's the exact same mount as the GH2. You need a $10 adapter from ebay, though. I have a fair bit of minolta SLR lenses I put on my GF1 as well, via adapter.

1. Has to be manual lenses, not electronically controlled lenses. Minolta mount, nikon, canon, pentax, c mount, leica, whatever. As long as it's manual and you have the cheap adapter for it.

2. GH2 like all m4/3 systems is a x2 crop factor, so any lens you put on it will be cropped. A 50mm will appear to be a 100mm, 28mm a 56mm, 85mm a 170mm, and so on. It's difficult if you want a wide image and are using legacy lenses. If you want 28mm equivalent, you'd need to find a 14mm legacy lens. Fortunatelly, both panasonic and olympus make excelent native lenses for the system.

3. Manual lenses don't have OIS, and the GH2 doesn't have IBIS, so it mgith be a little shaky for videos. I don't know which nikon bodies have IBIS. Other m4/3 bodies do have IBIS, though, like the olympus E-M5.

• Members

The gh2 is THE BEST dslr for video out there for the money right now.

The newly released E-M5 has the benifit of having IBIS though, which makes it look like a dollycam. The GH2 has no IBIS, but has more video options, such as bitrate.

• Members

The newly released E-M5 has the benifit of having IBIS though, which makes it look like a dollycam. The GH2 has no IBIS, but has more video options, such as bitrate.

The em-5 looks really intriguing, and I LOVE LOVE LOVEEEE the way it looks.

Definitely glad it's out there.

The gh2 is a beast especially with all the hacks out there.

• Members

There we go! Thank you sir

The em-5 looks really intriguing, and I LOVE LOVE LOVEEEE the way it looks.

Definitely glad it's out there.

The gh2 is a beast especially with all the hacks out there.

I've ordered mine. Hopefully I'll get it in a couple weeks!

The GH2 is a beast, for sure! The hacks really make it shine, but even without them it's no slouch. It's less expensive than the E-M5, too, which is something to consider. The hacks make it way more interesting than the E-M5 if IBIS isn't an issue.

Still, if we're talking purely picture taking, resolution, dynamic range, all that, the E-M5 is the new king in town!

• Members

Absolutely.

I'm terrible about that, I talk DSLR stuff all the time, but I really never talk about the stills side.

I'm terribly neglectful of my camera's still side. I need to shoot more stills.

The em-5 is also way classier. Did you get it in black or silver?

They're both :love: looking

• Members

There we go! Thank you sir

actually, looking at the designations list - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_F-mount#Designations - it's not that simple, D means 'distance', the lens transmits subject distance info to the camera, so there are some G type lenses that are also D type. Confusing.

G definitely means it has no aperture ring though. I've heard it referred to as standing for gelded :D

• Members

do any D lenses have the built in motor?

Looking at the Nikon site it seems the general rule is G lenses are AF-S (have a built-in motor) and non-G lenses are just AF. There are exceptions it seems, but they are all at the pricier end of the range.

Archived