The Official Photography Gear Thread

echodeluxe

• Members

yeah subs, I use a battery grip a lot while filming, for double the battery capacity but also to remove the batteries, which can get hot, from the middle of the camera to prevent over heating.

I wouldn't take one backpacking.

The thing is, even if you get one, you still need the batteries to fill it.

Just buy 4 or 5 cheaper batteries of amazon and a bunch of sd cards.

you be aight

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
yeah subs, I use a battery grip a lot while filming, for double the battery capacity but also to remove the batteries, which can get hot, from the middle of the camera to prevent over heating.

I wouldn't take one backpacking.

The thing is, even if you get one, you still need the batteries to fill it.

Just buy 4 or 5 cheaper batteries of amazon and a bunch of sd cards.

you be aight

Thanks buddy, I think thats the call! :thu:

On another note... what do you guys expect out of a 35mm lens with no zoom. Is it just what you see is what you get through the view finder? What is the bonus to having it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

it's mah birfday, Bought myself this guy

517It7vmthL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

{censored}'s about to get so {censored}ing wide up in hurr

Best DX format wide angle lens out there. Beats the {censored} out of the Nikkor 12-24, and it's faster too. Pin sharp pics every time and you get 16mm (equivalent) on the wide end!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

71fojgW-K5L._AA1500_.jpg

noob; how do i manually focus this while getting video footage. just like any other rotate the control on the lens? how does a *what is the word* lens focus itself? prime. thats the word.

• Members

Yeah, make sure you flip the switch on the side of the lens to M.

If your camera's anything like mine (I'm just assuming all Nikons are the same in this regard) a small green circle will appear at the bottom-left of the viewfinder when it's in focus.

edit: here you go, this is a D40 viewfinder but overall it should be the same.

ZD40VF.gif

• Members

Nice. You have to be a bit careful with polarizers. They work best when the sun is about 45 degrees to your shot. It won't work if the sun is directly or in front of or behind you. Also, it increases exposure time. In addition, avoid using one for shooting large expanses of the the sky with a wide angle lens. The shot will have noticeable lighter and darker blue areas.

• Members

Nice. You have to be a bit careful with polarizers. They work best when the sun is about 45 degrees to your shot. It won't work if the sun is directly or in front of or behind you. Also, it increases exposure time. In addition, avoid using one for shooting large expanses of the the sky with a wide angle lens. The shot will have noticeable lighter and darker blue areas.

By 45 degrees do you mean like the sun is 45 degrees left or right of my shot, or it is at 45 degrees from the horizon?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i just have a really old cheap plastic one. it has 3 legs and hold my camera up right in any position/tilt/angle so that my shaky hands dont ruin every picture :idk:

ask the TGP of photography forums if you want some spency ass lightweight metal $800 tripod

• Members

put in for this kickstarter, it ends in three days so I might as well post here since there are enough guys with DSLRs that can do video. doesn't seem too bad for a budget dolly system if you don't want to build one yourself.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/626733935/revolve-the-versatile-portable-and-affordable-came

I think I'm going to do the full kit, ballhead, rail kit, monopod, etc, should be around $200 which I think is reasonable.

• Members

Minolta Maxxum 7000i film body
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D

Sony SAL-2470Z 24-70mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* AF
Minolta 28 - 135mm f/4 - 4.5 Macro Zoom AF
Minolta 70-210mm f/4 Zoom AF
Minolta 35-70mm f/4 Zoom AF
Minolta 50mm f/1.4 AF
Minolta 100mm f/2.8 Macro AF
Minolta 135mm f/2.8 AF
Minolta 100-300 F4.5-5.6 APO AF
Tamron 17 - 50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical AF
Sigma 10 - 20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC AF
Sigma APO 70 - 200mm f/2.8 II EX DG Macro HSM AF
Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM AF
MC Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm f/2.8 M42 (M42 Lens to Minolta SONY Alpha Mount Adapter with chip)
MC Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 80mm f/2.8 Pentacon Six
MC Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 120mm f/2.8 Pentacon Six (last version - just before the fall of the Berlin Wall)
MC Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm f/2.8/ Pentacon Six
(. . .and counting)

Tilt Adapter (Pentacon Six to Sony Alpha Minolta)
Sigma APO EX DG 1.4x teleconverter
Kepcor MC 2x teleconverter
Kenko DG 12mm, 20mm, & 36mm extension tube set
Zykkor Super Wider Semi Fisheye 0.42X screw on adaptor ~recently dug up from an old sock drawer~

Sony Alpha HVL-F58AM flash
Nikon SB 600 Speedlight
Impact PowerSync16 DC Radio Slave System

Manfrotto 055XProB & Benro B-2 Ballhead
Manfrotto 055CXPro3 & Really Right Stuff BH-55Pro Ballhead

Minolta AF 1200 Macro Ring Flash
Minolta 5200i flash

yeah, it's a sickness. . .

The Zeiss Jenna Sonnar MC 180mm f/2.8 P6 mount (tilt adapter & extension tubes for close up) is my current favorite, though
7079282377_069628a85b_b.jpg

Archived