The Official Photography Gear Thread

echodeluxe

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
No problem.

That is of course if you want a wide aperture, if you want to get more depth of field set it to a lower aperture, but use the aperture priority to keep it at the same aperture.

And since I haven't typed the word aperture enough in this post here's another. Aperture.

:lol:

• Members

Lightroom 4 released last night. $80 for the upgrade, down to $150 for full (from $299 previously).

I've only been using Lightroom 3 for a week or so, and I gotta say that I love it. makes organization and color tweaking way easier, beats the hell out of trying to keep everything sorted though windows. LR4 is said to have a better render engine so I'm considering the upgrade, but only because I got a deal on 3.

not that I need them at all since I'm only shooting film, but the VSCO film emulation plugin for Lightroom looks pretty interesting if I ever get a good dsl... http://visualsupply.co/film

for those familiar with Lightroom or even photoshop: are there any guides/addons to "develop" negatives? my scanning software does it when it converts to tif/jpg/etc., but the raw scan (dng) is the base negative. so far I can't find a good way to convert these to positives outside of the scanning program if needed. while I can load it back up in vuscan and convert to another format to get the positive image, vuscan can't do batches, which is a pain.

I know that because of each film's base color batch processing negatives isn't going to be perfect, but at least I would be able to get the negatives processed and address the colourcast in post, which I'm already doing anyways...

• Members

I've been trying out the Lightroom 4 beta version for a few weeks now, it'll stop working when the final release comes out :(

I'm going to try Aperture then (there's a 30 day trial version from apple) and see if I like it any better - I've really been enjoying Lightroom so far - and buy the one I prefer. Go student discount!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

so i'm going backpacking with my d5100 later this year, i'd like to pick up a solar charger that will work with my battery charger but i can't put it together. anyone have thoughts?

Probably be easier just to take some extra charged batteries with you. Not exactly cheap, but less of a bother.

• Members

Probably be easier just to take some extra charged batteries with you. Not exactly cheap, but less of a bother.

I've come to this conclusion as well.

Can you give me some tips on what I need to take good time lapse photos of sunrises, sunsets, and the night sky?

• Members

so after I bought the upgrade to Lightroom 4 (which is awesome), those sneaky bastards at adobe quietly "announced" that recent purchases of Lightroom 3 may qualify for a free upgrade to 4. I was doubtful since I paid less than a quarter of the price for the full release, but they got back and said that I qualify.

they won't give me a refund of course, but they're shipping me a new sealed copy of the LR4 upgrade, which will probably be hitting the spam thread once it arrives.

In more camera specific events, my FM2 film advance lever got really sloppy last week, resulting in the film NOT advancing even though the counter did and the shutter button getting locked. a clean table to work on and a few hours later, and I disassembled and reassembled the entire thing, cleaning and tightening everything, and it's now back in working order, actually better than when I bought it. I love that about mechanical stuff, if you are able to pay attention to where everything goes and are willing to go slow/not force anything, it's usually pretty easy to fix things (assuming there is nothing broken/missing).

oh, and I bought a .06 neutral density filter over the weekend too, which really helped on the one sunny day we had yesterday before the rain started again.

• Members

I've come to this conclusion as well.

Can you give me some tips on what I need to take good time lapse photos of sunrises, sunsets, and the night sky?

Sunrises, sunsets and night skies involve low light and long exposures. The best solution is to take a tripod (a small lightweight travel model will do) to minimize camera shake. You usually end up shooting wide open but at a relatively slow shutter speed, so a tripod will ensure a sharp photo. You will need an off-camera trigger, because even with a tripod, triggering the shutter manually on the camera will introduce vibration and shake and reduce the sharpness of the photo. Your camera is set up to use Nikon's ML-L3 wireless remote, which costs a whopping $20.00. Time lapse is another issue. You generally need an upgraded wireless remote capable of triggering the camera for a long period of time. Kind of expensive (about $150.00). I don't do time lapse. Too much of a pain. But, getting a good sunrise or sunset shot that's full of color and drama, now that's something to shoot for (so to speak).

• Members

Sunrises, sunsets and night skies involve low light and long exposures. The best solution is to take a tripod (a small lightweight travel model will do) to minimize camera shake. You usually end up shooting wide open but at a relatively slow shutter speed, so a tripod will ensure a sharp photo. You will need an off-camera trigger, because even with a tripod, triggering the shutter manually on the camera will introduce vibration and shake and reduce the sharpness of the photo. Your camera is set up to use Nikon's ML-L3 wireless remote, which costs a whopping $20.00. Time lapse is another issue. You generally need an upgraded wireless remote capable of triggering the camera for a long period of time. Kind of expensive (about $150.00). I don't do time lapse. Too much of a pain. But, getting a good sunrise or sunset shot that's full of color and drama, now that's something to shoot for (so to speak).

Awesome. Thanks for the reply.

I've picked up a remote already along with a strong gorilla pod. I guess my camera has a built in setting that I can set it to wake up at 5am and start taking pictures at whatever interval and for however long. I'll try to do some test shots and see how they come out.

• Members

Awesome. Thanks for the reply.

I've picked up a remote already along with a strong gorilla pod. I guess my camera has a built in setting that I can set it to wake up at 5am and start taking pictures at whatever interval and for however long. I'll try to do some test shots and see how they come out.

Look like you're all set. Don't forget to take extra SD cards with you too. Where are you going backpacking?

Try to go on-line and get the exact sunrise dates for your trip and be ready to go. No substitute to actually being behind the camera when the sun comes up.

• Members

Look like you're all set. Don't forget to take extra SD cards with you too. Where are you going backpacking?

Try to go on-line and get the exact sunrise dates for your trip and be ready to go. No substitute to actually being behind the camera when the sun comes up.

Yosemite. Young Lakes via Dog Lake trailhead.

• Members
Photography heaven. Doesn't get any better. Anywhere. Young's Lake at sunrise.
:love:

Oh man, pumps me up to hear you say that. I've been wishy washy on doing this trek because I'm going with some newcomers to Yosemite and I'm tempted to take them to the typical stuff (half dome, el cap...)

This is my first time to Young Lakes, so I'm totally ignorant to it and hope it turns into a great trip for everyone. :thu:

• Members

Speaking of remotes & time lapse, i don't know if you guys have seen this kickstarter yet, but I'm seriously considering putting in$50 to get in on it. granted, I don't yet have a camera to use it with, but I plan on getting either a 5D mkIII OR 800D in the coming months (once I have the cash and we finally have all the comparisons in).

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1435018402/trigger-happy-camera-remote

seems like it could be really handy, works with a wide range of cameras, and can be updated for more features for quite a bit less than official brand remotes.

• Members
Oh man, pumps me up to hear you say that. I've been wishy washy on doing this trek because I'm going with some newcomers to Yosemite and I'm tempted to take them to the typical stuff (half dome, el cap...)

This is my first time to Young Lakes, so I'm totally ignorant to it and hope it turns into a great trip for everyone.
:thu:

When are you going? The spring wildflowers are starting to bloom. It's almost impossible to take a bad picture. :)

• Members

Speaking of remotes & time lapse, i don't know if you guys have seen this kickstarter yet, but I'm seriously considering putting in$50 to get in on it. granted, I don't yet have a camera to use it with, but I plan on getting either a 5D mkIII OR 800D in the coming months (once I have the cash and we finally have all the comparisons in).

seems like it could be really handy, works with a wide range of cameras, and can be updated for more features for quite a bit less than official brand remotes.

Yeah, I'm salivating for a D800. Gonna hold onto my D700 though. For low light, outside the Nikon D3s, it's the best low light, high ISO performer on the planet. It's scary good. I've taken shots with it where it disclosed detail I couldn't perceive with my own eyes. It's bailed me out so many times I can't count. I question whether you can get similar performance from a 36MP sensor, but it has the same pixel density as the APS-C sensor in the D7000 at 16.2MP, and my D7000 is pretty good in low light. Nothing near the D700, but good.

• Members
When are you going? The spring wildflowers are starting to bloom. It's almost impossible to take a bad picture.
:)

Not for a while, I'm just getting prepared. We'll be there from June 30 to July 3. Backpacking, fishing, bouldering. Should be a great time.

• Members

Not for a while, I'm just getting prepared. We'll be there from June 30 to July 3. Backpacking, fishing, bouldering. Should be a great time.

Be sure to post some pics. I'll be interested to hear how the D5100 does in the field. Remember that video eats up memory cards (and batteries) like there's no tomorrow.

• Members

Be sure to post some pics. I'll be interested to hear how the D5100 does in the field. Remember that video eats up memory cards (and batteries) like there's no tomorrow.

I know I'm worried about that. I thought I might buy one of those batter grips that holds two batteries. Plus I need to get some 32gb cards.

• Members

I know I'm worried about that. I thought I might buy one of those batter grips that holds two batteries. Plus I need to get some 32gb cards.

I would pass on taking the grip. Those damned things are heavy with batteries loaded, and my view is that every ounce counts when you're carrying everything on your back. The D5100 is a DSLR that also takes video. It is not, and is not intended, to be a substitute for a video camera. I always use my D7000 primarily for photos and just short clips of a few minutes or less (my D700 doesn't do video). That should preserve batteries for you. One option I used was to buy a cheap very good Canon Elph for like $120.00 and use it exclusively for video. Worked great. Extra bucks though.

• Members

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1435018402/trigger-happy-camera-remote

That's pretty cool, and it looks like they have almost four times their target - good for them :thu:

Archived