what tool for cuttung pickguards? scroll saw?

hangwire

• Members

A coping saw. A router would be overkill for just a pick guard.

A coping saw is going to get you that perfect 45* angle? Nah... You're not even going to get a perfect cut period.

You can use a router for all sorts of stuff, you buy one for the pickguard and you use it the rest of your life for everything else. ;)

• Members

really? what type... plunge or ???

The best way to do it is with a table router setup (just a base router will do and a basic table jig) and one of these.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Routing_bits/Pickguard_Bevel_Cutter.html

Edit, I just saw that was a 1/4" base bit. You'd be better off (having less vibration) going with the same type of bit but with a 1/2" collet/base

• Members

A coping saw is going to get you that perfect 45* angle? Nah... You're not even going to get a perfect cut period.

You can use a router for all sorts of stuff, you buy one for the pickguard and you use it the rest of your life for everything else.
;)

Use a file for the angle. Coping saw can do the rest just fine.

• Members

i guess i could get a scrap piece for mdf and mount the router upside down...

Yep. You could fashion a simple makeshift router table and do a very professional job in seconds. I have one built into my table saw on the unused right side. Pretty common for guys to make that into your routing table as it saves room in the home shop. But you don't need to get that fancy unless you want to do more stuff down the road. You can pull down almost any template you want from the web.

• Members

You can use a router for all sorts of stuff, you buy one for the pickguard and you use it the rest of your life for everything else.
;)

No.. but the finishing part of it will. Make a jig at 45 degrees.. put sandpaper on it... tada!

but if he thinks he could use the router for other stuff.. then totally get that. I love my dewalt router..

• Members

The OP's already has a router. And router's are not as huge expense as you might think they are. Once you got one you can use it for all sorts of home projects and guitar oriented stuff like for instance routing out a body to accept a different pickup etc.. I would bet I could have a finished and flawless pickguard in seconds compared to how ever long it would take someone to cut one out with a coping saw and jerry-rig some sort of half ass jig to get a 45* bevel on the edge of it. I don't mean to argue but there's a right way of doing things and a wrong way. That might work for you on your projects but I doubt people would be lining up to buy pickguards from you.

So if you cut your pickguards with a routing table why are you steering this guy down the road of hard knocks?

I've built plenty of pick guards that are flawless with a coping saw and a jig. Sure it takes more time.. doesn't mean it's gonna turn out any different then with a router and definitely doesn't mean it's wrong. I was just suggesting something cheaper.

• Members

I've built plenty of pick guards that are flawless with a coping saw and a jig. Sure it takes more time.. doesn't mean it's gonna turn out any different then with a router and definitely doesn't mean it's wrong. I was just suggesting something cheaper.

Hey I'm not dissing you but the guy is basically asking "How do you do something". Not how do you do something half-assed. If someone asked me "how do you build a table" I wouldn't tell them to cut it out of a solid block of wood with a hammer and a chisel. If you suggested something that could yield professional results I would have replied something along the lines of "yeah that's another way of doing it".

• Members

But that's what I'm saying.. you can get professional results the way I mentioned of doing it. There is more than one way of doing things.. especially when it comes to woodworking. Err.. I guess this isnt technically woodworking. You can get very non professional results from a router as well.. it all boils down to developing the skills for the task. Everyone has a preferred method of doing things. It's obvious you never honed the coping saw method(and why should you?)

Archived