what tool for cuttung pickguards? scroll saw?

hangwire

• Members

easy boy-os, its all good...

I wonder if I could keep my crappy router handheld for drop in purposes, and use a mounted dremel for cutting outlines such as a pickguard. Would mounting a dremel upside down on a small bit of plywood work out just as well for just this purpose? I imagine there probabaly is a dremel system for this actually :lol:

• Members

A coping saw is going to get you that perfect 45* angle? Nah... You're not even going to get a perfect cut period.

You can use a router for all sorts of stuff, you buy one for the pickguard and you use it the rest of your life for everything else.
;)

He'd need a template to use a router.

I've rough cut pickguards out on my scroll saw and then hand shaped and beveled the edges using a file and sandpapers.

• Members

easy boy-os, its all good...

I wonder if I could keep my crappy router handheld for drop in purposes, and use a mounted dremel for cutting outlines such as a pickguard. Would mounting a dremel upside down on a small bit of plywood work out just as well for just this purpose? I imagine there probabaly is a dremel system for this actually
:lol:

Yea.. I use the dremel to cut out the pickup holes... works great for that kinda stuff. I've seen jigs made before for dremels.. but to buy the actually tool dremel makes for that function usually is fairly inexpensive.

• Members

And Dremels spin too fast to use with plastics - {censored} melts like crazy using a Dremel. I know from experience.

I've used a porter cable for years cutting these types of materials at 27.5k rpm. No issues at a fixed rate speed. What you need to learn is how fast to your feed the material. Too slow burn, too fast tear out and chipping.

• Members

Hey Spark ya know me it ain't like that. Dude asked me if I've ever had experience with a very basic hand tool.

yeah sorry Snork i know - my post was just out of my brain without any sense and it was not aimed to you or the talk here... it just remindes me at my expierience...

• Members

Hey Spark ya know me it ain't like that. Dude asked me if I've ever had experience with a very basic hand tool.

I never said you didn't have experience.. don't put words in my mouth. I said you obviously didn't have much experience using that tool to cut pick guards.

• Members

I just finished cutting my first scratchplate, I don't have an router so I used...

dremel for roughly cutting out the shape. Seemed to work okay for me just don't get to close to your outlines.

drill - for making guide holes and of course pot holes etc.

needle files - I couldn't have done it without these

metal straight edge - to file up against.

small G clamps.- to hold the straight edge down

sandpaper to clean up edges

It didn't come out perfectly but I'm reasonably happy with the result. If I did it again I would give myself a little more room to the outlines I wanted. I cut a little close with the dremel at times. The needle files are surprising quick/good at getting rid of material and getting the edge where you want it.

Archived