The OFFICIAL Elliott EASTON appreciation thread

Phil O'Keefe

IMHO, he's one of the best rock guitarists - ever. So tasty. He's got the chops, and can play fast, but he always plays for the song. His solos are classic little mini-compositions unto themselves; within, and in full support of the track.

Submitted for your consideration...

Dig the outro solo on Don't Cha Stop off the first album (~2:24 - end)

[video=youtube;4k5EsnA5KOw]

My Best Friend's Girl - "lifted" fills from the Beatles "I Will" meet a genius rockabilly solo (~2:00-) and perfect riffs and additional fills...

[video=youtube;XkSmLh2Hbi0]

Candy-O's title track has a rippin' fuzzed out solo that just kills...

[video=youtube;Bu2eI0GqT5E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu2eI0GqT5E&feature=related

Candy-O (the album) has some brilliant guitar stuff on it ... check out the guitars on "Got A Lot On My Head":

[video=youtube;j5UOvECIoVM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5UOvECIoVM&feature=related

Even the experimental "Panorama" album has some great guitar on it...

The solos in "Touch And Go" (2:19 / 4:00 / 4:14 / 4:30) are loads of dizzying fun... and so are the accents and spaghetti western bits...

[video=youtube;RpEXADpzhC8]

I always liked the guitar parts on Down Boys too...

[video=youtube;MYCvPlctI8Q]

They went back to a less experimental sound with hits like Shake It Up - the title track of their fourth LP - check out the solos (1:17 Telecaster / 1:31 Les Paul):

[video=youtube;HB7J9ygs8n8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB7J9ygs8n8&feature=related

The story for the solo of this one is kind of interesting - he wanted to use an Ebow, but they were out of production at the time, and he couldn't find one. What did he do? Cranked up a Marshall to the hilt, ran the studio monitors flat out for maximum sustain and feedback, taped up all the strings on the guitar except one (the G string), and played it all on that single string...

[video=youtube;BVJXOOAfvIo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVJXOOAfvIo

Heartbeat City brought a change in album producer (to Mutt Lange - Roy Thomas Baker produced the previous records) and a different sound.. but still the same great "for the song" lead guitar approach... it's Magic... (~2:54-)

[video=youtube;zvl7EkqFAzs]

Plus, the guy has great gear taste. Look at the guitars he was pictured with during the Cars heyday... and the various signature models he's been associated with. Gretsch Pro Jet, Gibson SG... he's an obvious gear hound.

I dunno - I just felt like dropping a little respect to one of my favorite guitarists... I do have to say that I was pretty bummed by the lack of solos on their latest / reunion album (Move Like This) - that was disappointing.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Elliot was the first left guitarist that I was aware of growing up - had such a huge impact on me as a lefty when I was just learning how to play. He has such a great energy to his phrasing, thats what I noticed first even as a kid - then when you dig deeper you realize just how huge his vocabulary is on the instrument and really there aren't too many other Pop/Rock guys out there that are as well-schooled as he is save for maybe Dave Gregory of XTC and a few others. A kickass hook writer much like George Harrison and Mike Campbell were/are and a down to earth nice approachable guy to boot. Always has a killer sound too.

He was instrumental (sorry) over on a lefty forum I'm on for a few of us getting some unobtainium lefty Hallmark Mosrite copies made - mine should be here in a few weeks.

sunsetsparkle.jpg

• Members

Guy's a
monster
guitarist.
:thu:
Flat-out rocks.

this. thanks for the clips, phil. LOVE the duct tape story. there's also that story about good time roll, where that first BIG 'good times roll' has something like 48 vocals on it or something. cars rule, gotta get the greatest hitz package...

• Members

Elliot Easton is awesome. A few years back I helped him sell a Historic Goldtop Les Paul. He ended up getting me free tickets and backstage passes for me and my wife when he came to town with Creedence Clearwater Revisited. I got to meet him and hang out back stage for a bit. He showed me the guitars he brought on tour and let me play with them. He also signed a copy of the Candy-O album cover for me. He's a very gracious guy and a very melodic guitar player. Very under rated. Nice to see a thread about him on HCFX.

• Members

Totally agree, love his stuff! Great thread!

One of the things about his playing that impresses me the most is how tasty he could be while playing along with such heavy/busy keyboards. So much 80s music neutered the guitars in favor of the keys; I think Elliott was a great example of how to do it right!

this. thanks for the clips, phil. LOVE the duct tape story. there's also that story about good time roll, where that first BIG 'good times roll' has something like 48 vocals on it or something.

My understanding is it's a stack of 72 parts / voices, but whatever the actual total is, it's just way over the top. I love it! :phil:

I believe that was one of the contributions of Roy Thomas Baker; remember - The Cars used the same producer (for the first four records anyway) who had done all the stuff previously with Queen, so he knew all about stacking vocals. :)

Totally agree, love his stuff! Great thread!

One of the things about his playing that impresses me the most is how tasty he could be while playing along with such heavy/busy keyboards. So much 80s music neutered the guitars in favor of the keys; I think Elliott was a great example of how to do it right!

Great point Wes. :) That's one of the things about that band that really impresses me - their arrangements are generally really well thought out. The interplay between Greg and Elliot is pretty brilliant. As far as I'm concerned, very few "rock bands" or New Wave bands ever managed to integrate big rock guitars with quirky keyboards and synths as effectively and interestingly as they did.

• Members

Great point Wes.
:)
That's one of the things about that band that really impresses me - their arrangements are generally really well thought out. The interplay between Greg and Elliot is pretty brilliant. As far as I'm concerned, very few "rock bands" or New Wave bands ever managed to integrate big rock guitars with quirky keyboards and synths as effectively and interestingly as they did.

:thu:

Because of this thread Candy-O will hit my turntable as soon as I get home. :love:

• Members

this is the one that absolutely knocks me out - Caddy Green and gold hardware on a Duo Jet style body with a Bigsby...
:love:

Yes, kind of the quintessential Gretsch in my mind.

I have so many favorite tracks by The Cars... "Let's Go", "Candy-O", "Heartbeat City", "Why Can't I Have You"....

But "Cruiser" has always been a big fav. I remember my older sister bringing home the 45rpm 7" of "Shake it Up" b/w "Cruiser" in 1981. I wore that record out. Easton's playing on it really scorches.

[video=youtube;WpTOfr5TeOQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpTOfr5TeOQ

• Members

Oh, and The Cars Move Like This is definitely one of my favorite albums of 2011. However, I was disappointed by the lack of Easton's usual killer solos. I suppose it says a lot about the difference between Rock Music in 2011 versus Rock Music pre-1991.

[video=youtube;fpJQWGA1O8s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpJQWGA1O8s

"The world is full of quackers and belly-button rings.

I know you'd like to be immune to the things they say.

You're hung up on your heroes and upon the beast you prey."

Indeed :lol:

Archived