The OFFICIAL Elliott EASTON appreciation thread

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dunno - I just felt like dropping a little respect to one of my favorite guitarists... I do have to say that I was pretty bummed by the lack of solos on their latest / reunion album (Move Like This) - that was disappointing.

I'm also missing Ben Orr, big time. The Cars was filled with talent and one of the things was Benjamin's singing and basslines. Everyone knows Drive and that's Benjamin Orr written all over it, even if Ocasek composed the tune.

Awesome Phil for creating this thread! I hope my "Heartbeat City"-post in other thread launched this GOODNESS! :)

• Members
Ed Roman makes/made some guitars for him...he showed me a couple that were waiting to be shipped a few years ago. +1000 on the thread. I think he's one of the greats, and the Cars not being in the HOF is bullshit.

The Cars aren't in the R&R HOF yet :confused: What a fucking joke. Elliott is easily one of the finest players in rock history...

I totally agree with you. Thou there are many good guitarists around who never got the rep they really deserved, but Elliot really stands out with extraordinary sense for playing style!

I'm also missing Ben Orr, big time. The Cars was filled with talent and one of the things was Benjamin's singing and basslines. Everyone knows Drive and that's Benjamin Orr written all over it, even if Ocasek composed the tune.

Awesome Phil for creating this thread! I hope my "Heartbeat City"-post in other thread launched this GOODNESS!
:)

Actually, your Heartbeat City post DID kind of inspire this thread in a way... it got me thinking about them, which lead to me pulling a couple of records up on Spotify and listening to them, and that's what lead to this thread. :)

And I hear you about missing Ben. A friend of mine had worked with him post-Cars a bit, and he's always spoken highly of him. I never got the chance to meet him, but I think you're right about his contributions being a largely under-appreciated part of their "sound." His vocals were similar to Ric's, but less quirky, and a bit "stronger" overall. Just What I Needed, Drive, Bye Bye Love, Let's Go - all of those records would have sounded seriously different without Ben.

I can hear a couple of songs on the new record that probably would have been Ben's to sing - if he was still here. :(

• Members

And I hear you about missing Ben. A friend of mine had worked with him post-Cars a bit, and he's always spoken highly of him. I never got the chance to meet him, but I think you're right about his contributions being a largely under-appreciated part of their "sound."

Ohh, that's very cool. I have to admit that Big People has slipped through my eyes and ears. Not even sure if they ever released anything?

Same with Ben's solo material. I seriously need to get that "The Lace" album.

His vocals were similar to Ric's, but less quirky, and a bit "stronger" overall. Just What I Needed, Drive, Bye Bye Love, Let's Go - all of those records would have sounded seriously different without Ben.

True. I like how The Cars used the best of their skills and talents with their music. It wasn't carved in stone who was the LEAD SINGER or so. Same stuff with Queen or The Beatles for example. I think that's something that's wrong with most of today's bands. Mastodon is a fresh exception to that rule. Everyone gets to use their own and "the best" elements to support the music. Pushing the envelope to break patterns and unwritten rules. I like that!

Therefore I dig that Heartbeat City a lot. In it's own synth-based New Wave genre, it stands out with absolutely killer material, killer production... everything is just correct :)

I can hear a couple of songs on the new record that probably would have been Ben's to sing - if he was still here.
:(

I agree you there. Totally.

• Members

The first time I tried to learn how to play guitar was when I was 11 and I learned the 3-chord riff during the verses for "Magic". I know, "cool story bro" and all that.

Didn't really become interested in them until Heartbeat City. I've heard that album divided a lot of older Cars fans who didn't like the overly slick production (Mutt Lange). How's the new record?

• Members

I seriously need to get that "The Lace" album.

The production is really dated on that album, but the melodies and vocal performances are excellent. I bought that album on vinyl when it was released in 1986 (I was 16), and I thought it was really adult-contemp cheesy then. But I brought it out again this year for nostalgia's sake, and I found the album completely enjoyable. "Hold On" and "When You're Gone" are classic Ben Orr ballad performances. I guess I'm more adult-contemp in my old age.

• Members

The production is really dated on that album, but the melodies and vocal performances are excellent. I bought that album on vinyl when it was released in 1986 (I was 16), and I thought it was really adult-contemp cheesy then. But I brought it out again this year for nostalgia's sake, and I found the album completely enjoyable. "Hold On" and "When You're Gone" are classic Ben Orr ballad performances. I guess I'm more adult-contemp in my old age.

I bought that on vinyl too...I saw in a record store back then, and wish now I had bought it, a maxi-single of Stay the Night that had a couple of Cars songs on the B-side, including My Best Friend's Girl with Ben Orr on vocals.

• Members

growing up as a lefty, i idolized elliott easton. i found about the cars through weezer (ric ocasek produced the blue album) and they were really the band that got me over my irrational fear of 80's music.

first time i bought a piece of boutique gear, i got to try fuzz pedals with elliott easton's 64 jazzy into a sweet bogner combo. god damn that was a nice guitar.

Archived