"The Finest Overdrive in the world..."

King Rat

• Members

I dunno, I'm very analytical, philosophical, and intellectually curious. I basically like any discussion that requires logical analysis and abstract conceptualization. I don't care in which field it takes place necessarily. I really am incredibly bored by people who don't want to think about why something is the way it is, how it works, or how it's connected to something else. That's most people.

It's not really a problem of actually having a conversation. It's more a problem of making a connection that means something to me.

It's weird how many liberal arts grad students I've met who have voiced the same kind of complaints. Weird, because I've never met a grad student from the sciences or someone in the professional world who has described similar issues.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The hardest part after the struggle to realize, accept, and admit that you have a bright mind is everyone pulling you down like a bucket of crabs because they think you're arrogant. If there's anything people hate, it's someone who's aware of their gifts.

• Members

Actually I want to explore this more. I dated a girl last year who was easier to talk to than any woman I'd ever met. She wasn't brilliantly, show-offy intelligent the way people stereotype smart people. She was quiet, thoughtful, and listened. That was one of her best traits, she really listened to you. That's intelligence. We were able to get along so famously because our minds were on the same plane. I don't believe intelligence is a polar system.

Also, to the dude who recommended drinking; this has gotten me through many a dull date. Let me find a lame but true picture.

here it is:

t_20856.jpg

• Members

on topic: I'm never looking for the best of anything. I'm looking for what's right for me. I don't want The Finest Overdrive In the World. I want the Right Overdrive For Me.

Good call, Op. I was talking to younger friend of mine and he asked me how I knew when I had found "the perfect girl". I told him there is no such thing. You just have to find the girl who doesn't make you want to stab your eyes. I guess the same is true for overdrives.

• Members

You know when you just meet a lady and you're having what seems on the surface to be a banal, superficial conversation? What you're really talking for is to find out if you want to pursue something more serious. It's not a case of people being below your mental faculties, it's you failing to understand the dance.

No, it's really not. I'm not talking about a first date at all or even exclusively. I'm talking about what happens when you DO get to a deeper stage and you hit a wall.

For example I had a long term relationship that lasted for 2+ years and during that period of time i realized I was constantly having to hold myself back and change the way I behaved in order to not make my girlfriend feel uncomfortable. If we were having a remotely serious discussion of something she'd always hit a point where she didn't get it anymore and just refuse to think about it any further and either get angry or just repeat the same position over and over.

• Members

It's weird how many liberal arts grad students I've met who have voiced the same kind of complaints. Weird, because I've never met a grad student from the sciences or someone in the professional world who has described similar issues.

Yeah, I've noticed this as well. Humanities students tend to be very neurotic which is partly probably because of what we study (social issues) and possibly also part of why we study what we study. When studying chemistry for example, you rarely come across research that completely overturns your social worldview. In the humanities that's a daily thing. After a while you start to feel like most people really aren't paying attention to their own environment which is a very alienating feeling.

• Members

on topic: I'm never looking for the best of anything. I'm looking for what's right for me. I don't want The Finest Overdrive In the World. I want the Right Overdrive For Me.

Absolutely. This is why I'm slowly replacing most of my gear with stuff made by myself or friends who will make me whatever I like for a reasonable price. I try to offer the same services to them and anyone who orders something.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I think Toadworks company slogan is "the best effects in the world"

Used to be. Then a few years back at NAMM, the Gibson guys kept coming by our booth.. like, a lot... and right after that, all the Gibson literature started to say "The Best Guitars in the World"... so I dropped the slogan.

I suppose maybe they used that slogan before then, but that's when I noticed it :)

• Members

I like pushing an amp. don't like any pedals ...

Jimi and SRV used effects pedals. Unless you are attempting to claim a superior playing skill over these two legends, your opinion is invalid. Or at the most, counts for very little in AN EFFECTS SECTION OF THE FORUM.

• Members
well after trying 100's of overdrives I have determined it is indeed one of the best in the world...
;)

it's a TS variant. Different TS's sound better or worse with different amps/guitars. Also some amp/guitar combos sound less than awesome with TS's in general and are better suited to a more transparent drive. the idea of one OD actually being the best is hard to swallow, but it is certainly possible to find the best possible one for your particular setup.

• Members

We are {censored}ing electrical guitarists, bold is the name of the game. Bold Statements, bold tones, tight pants.

Do I tell chicks I have the biggest cock? {censored} Yes I do.

Do I have the biggest cock?

HELL {censored}IN YES I DO.

Why not, "a nice sounding overdrive cock, hope you enjoy"

Archived