"The Finest Overdrive in the world..."

King Rat

• Members

I dunno, I'm very analytical, philosophical, and intellectually curious. I basically like any discussion that requires logical analysis and abstract conceptualization. I don't care in which field it takes place necessarily. I really am incredibly bored by people who don't want to think about why something is the way it is, how it works, or how it's connected to something else. That's most people.

It's not really a problem of actually having a conversation. It's more a problem of making a connection that means something to me.

I can see why you love hanging out at HCFX! :p

But srsly, there's smart and there's smart. Not all smart people are folks you really want to be in a relationship with anyway--most really smart folks are {censored}ing nuts.

I used to have problems like this, but my cognitive abilities are taking a dive now that I'm into my later 40's, and I'm not as physically fit or active as before (what with making pedals for a living and having to run a business, plus have not quit smoking, which I think is bad longterm for the brain). So now I struggle just to avoid spelling and grammar errors, and deeper philosophy is not so much of an issue these days.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice little dig with the "you think you are." Pure class.

Obviously, I do this all the time. It's not like I'm discussing Derrida or something with every random person I see.

Like I said, having a shallow conversation is easy. It's also not very interesting.

It isn't a dig as much as it is an illustration that you may be missing a simple dating principle. It isn't all about you. It is clear that you think that you are smart, you've said as much. I have a feeling if you weren't busy steamrolling the other person with you intellect and let them be exactly who they are you'd have a different take on the experience. It has nothing to do with the other person's brain power. I know I've been in your shoes, but one day I thought about it, how would I really like to be in the other person's shoes with me on the other side of the table with a stupid heavy intensity? Sometimes I find myself slipping back into it too.

• Members

There's always room for improvement.

IMAG005.JPG

I'm worst at self-regulation, that's for sure. Pretty good at self-awareness and empathy, though.

For the record I doubt my pedals are the best in the world. I do like them, however.

• Members

It isn't a dig as much as it is an illustration that you may be missing a simple dating principle. It isn't all about you. It is clear that you think that you are smart, you've said as much. I have a feeling if you weren't busy steamrolling the other person with you intellect and let them be exactly who they are you'd have a different take on the experience. It has nothing to do with the other person's brain power. I know I've been in your shoes, but one day I thought about it, how would I really like to be in the other person's shoes with me on the other side of the table with a stupid heavy intensity? Sometimes I find myself slipping back into it too.

Nah, I'm not really like that. I just let the conversation go where it goes. I mean, if we're talking about a date, it's more important that the other person be able to joke with me. But, if we're talking about a relationship...I don't want to be the one who is seen as smarter or who is allowed to say {censored} just because "well, he's smarter," etc. I'd rather have an equal than an admirer, you know?

• Members

Smoking has been found to be neuroprotective against Alzheimer's. Unfortunately, cancer might kill you first.

I believe they've also found, recently, that using a nicotine patch works just as well for this and isn't really detrimental to your health.

• Members
"My overdrive will {censored} UP your other overdrives!!!! RRAAAARHHGGHH!!111/!!" --Marc Ahlfs

I, for one, would like to see more of this kind of advertising. Maybe we can get pedal builders to fight in cage matches to determine the superior product. You should get an ad that covers a spread in Guitar Player with that text. Business would soar! :idea:

• Members

Nah, I'm not really like that. I just let the conversation go where it goes. I mean, if we're talking about a date, it's more important that the other person be able to joke with me. But, if we're talking about a relationship...I don't want to be the one who is seen as smarter or who is allowed to say {censored} just because "well, he's smarter," etc. I'd rather have an equal than an admirer, you know?

Yeah I know man. But you'd have to be the smartest person in the world to feel so far separated from other people... The way I see it is, I can count on only one hand how many people I've met that were really truly not so smart. Who I couldn't actually find grounds to connect on. Though I do have a tendency to surround myself with people smarter than I am. In all reality, the only differences between myself and other folks is their interests. I once knew a guy who could tell you which university any current and past pro basketball player went to. I did think that was a dumb subject not worth participating in, but the guy was by no means less smart than I am. I just try to widen my range of interests, oddly enough that makes more people interesting to me. It is good to be admired and adored, it is your job to reciprocate somehow.

• Members

All's I'm sayin is you really want to find someone who's "nice" to be with. Smarts have a minimum threshold, but niceness is much more important long term.

Yeah, this is true to an extent. Sometimes it's even harder to find someone who is empathetic than it is someone who is intelligent.

I mean, I do know a fair number of people who are as smart as I am and several who are clearly just smarter, but the equals are classmates of mine (makes sense) and the smarter ones are Slavoj Zizek and Avital Ronell. Zizek is not very empathetic. In fact, he likes to insult people and be obscene (although I think he's also very moral in an odd way). Avital is kind of the opposite. She's the only person who will still teach a class with Zizek because he's pissed everyone else off too much.

But yeah, I am also not talking about knowledge. There are loads of people who know more than I do on many subjects. Like that dude who is a basketball encyclopedia. That's body of knowledge, which is fine. If he utilizes that knowledge in some interesting way, that's a different story altogether.

I also know two homeless guys who are extremely smart and who I like talking to. Very interesting people.

Like I said. I have no trouble getting along with people and I like most people. I just feel very disconnected from most of them. But I also have a little bit of an odd experience of the world (or so I am told). Most things strike me as kind of bizarre.

• Members

just start smoking a lot of weed and you'll dumb down a bit. and drinking heavily. then you'll be able to connect.

and what exactly do you do V? other than build pedals?

Oh, I'm a graduate student (critical theory, mostly), English teacher (college English when I am not taking classes myself), freelance composer and writer. I also fix guitar electronics sometimes on the side.

• Members

I just feel very disconnected from most of them. But I also have a little bit of an odd experience of the world (or so I am told). Most things strike me as kind of bizarre.

Perhaps a therapeutically guided session with a well known empathogen could help you realign your sense of self-in-the-world.

• Members

Perhaps a therapeutically guided session with a well known empathogen could help you realign your sense of self-in-the-world.

Eh. I don't really have the mentality for drugs. They make me feel unsafe.

• Members

All's I'm sayin is you really want to find someone who's "nice" to be with. Smarts have a minimum threshold, but niceness is much more important long term.

Yup, that's why you'll often hear someone excuse another's stupidity because "they're a really nice person" but you'll rarely find anyone to defend an asshole with "well, they're really smart".

Archived