Twin Reverb opportunity....

mhuxtable

• Members

I have the chance to buy a SF Twin Reverb....recently recapped by a reputable guy. I've missed having a Twin.

It's the 135 watt version...so, late 70s. Speakers are replaced with EVM-12Ls.

I'm not familiar with how the speakers sound....and I've only played 80 and 100w Twins....never the 135w with master volume.

$500

Hit it or quit it?

• Members

go for it. great price. and if you dont like the sound (which i doubt) blackfacing that amp is a cinch.

UL Fenders can't be blackfaced without changing at least one of the transformers, you're thinking of the 68-76 100watt twins. Id buy it, then probably sell the heavy speakers = $

• Members

UL Fenders can't be blackfaced without changing at least one of the transformers, you're thinking of the 68-76 100watt twins. Id buy it, then probably sell the heavy speakers = $

the transformers arent really a problem in the UL twins as far as im concerned. are you overdriving a twin?

• Members

You can take iit those diodes in the power section, fix the preamp, and I think there's something with the phase inverter too. The transformer can sound really strident if you're overdriving it, but I mean, you're not gonna overdrive a twin. But you can do a couple mods and be like 75% there.

• Members

You can take iit those diodes in the power section, fix the preamp, and I think there's something with the phase inverter too. The transformer can sound really strident if you're overdriving it, but I mean, you're not gonna overdrive a twin. But you can do a couple mods and be like 75% there.

I'm no expert but everything I've read about them (135W) says that blackfacing them would require so much reworking, parts and money, that it would make no sense at all to even contemplate it. the 85W SF Twins are the ones that are very easily blackfaced. the 135W is a killer bass amp, because that's exactly what it is. unless I was playing extremely loud music with a band that never played on stages where they would mic the amps, the 135W might be ok, but even then I would choose a different amp for guitar, one more focused on guitar specific frequencies.

Archived