My kid is 2 years old today - AKA why doesn't brian post on HC anymore

• Members

When one is not a parent, there is all sorts of unknowns. Then, BAM! You are a parent, and it is like you've known what to do all along, but it was knowledge that was only activated via the Child Born Power-Up. And then you realize that kids aren't really all that scary, and it is a lot of fun to raise up a new human being.

• Members

Congrats... you have about 6 more months before she turns on you. It'll last until she's 4 (it's actually the terrible 2s and 3s). She'll be sweet a little while.. then she'll discover "no".

On a completely different note. I completely love my OctaSynth. Thank you for helping bring that baby into the world as well.

• Members

Still does for me too. I still can't believe I have this little person living in my house who depends on us for everything.

I think if it doesn't both scare and excite you there's something wrong.

it only gets better :thu:

grillin.jpg

• Members

Congrats! Isn't she cute? My daughter is just 1 year now, and she already started to play with these boxes with switches i have on the floor.. I'm guessing you daughter lives on a knows and lights theme park!

• Members

Congrats... you have about 6 more months before she turns on you. It'll last until she's 4 (it's actually the terrible 2s and 3s). She'll be sweet a little while.. then she'll discover "no"

she started saying "NO!" months ago. it is her favorite word... with the exception of tonight. she couldn't stop talking about cupcakes.

• Members

Tell me about it. My oldest son (Joseph) is 19 months old next week, his little brother (Daniel) turns 4 months just after. Lots of work, but so rewarding. Both boys are already showing an interest in music- Joseph will dance whenever music comes on the TV or the radio and goes nuts whenever I get my guitar or my ukulele out- always wants to play along. Drives me nuts if I'm trying to actually play guitar rather than play with him :mad: We jam sometimes- he can play my diatonic harmonica (alright, suck and blow and stomp his feet :D) and I know what key he's in so I can play along on guitar :D. Daniel just grins, and sits on my lap watching music stuff on TV, but that's a start :idk:

I still get to log on here while I'm at work, but having young kids has pretty much written off any chance of me being able to put the time in to being in a band for a while. Having kids, and having my wife at home looking after them makes for pretty tight household budgets too, so not so many big gear purchases either. Totally worth it though.

Totally agree with the guys who say that being a parent should be exciting and scary. If you don't think that, you're doing it wrong :poke:

Brian: she's very cute and clearly worth sacrificing your HC time for. Glad you've found time for all those new pedals too. Maybe in five years when the kids are at school and I can send the wife back to work I'll buy a couple :D

• Members

my daughter is 26 months now.

she really loves music, singing and dancing.

last christmas when we were about leaving my mothers place, she started singing the finnish version of twinkle twinkle little star and we fortunately grabbed the camera and she didn't stop singing.

she is a big fan of manu chao (as i am :) ), i bought a double live cd with a bonus dvd, just to find out the dvd is the full concert.

since then she just wants to watch the live dvd, and lately she started to sing Clandestino

note i speak german and her mother finnish and thats the two languages she learns from us and now she starts singing spanish :)

i confess i try to cover clandestino and sing it for her, but i don't know any spanish and i mix up the lyrics but she still likes it....

• Members

my daughter is 26 months now.

she really loves music, singing and dancing.

last christmas when we were about leaving my mothers place, she started singing the finnish version of twinkle twinkle little star and we fortunately grabbed the camera and she didn't stop singing.

she is a big fan of manu chao (as i am
:)
), i bought a double live cd with a bonus dvd, just to find out the dvd is the full concert.

since then she just wants to watch the live dvd, and lately she started to sing Clandestino

note i speak german and her mother finnish and thats the two languages she learns from us and now she starts singing spanish
:)

i confess i try to cover clandestino and sing it for her, but i don't know any spanish and i mix up the lyrics but she still likes it....

That is really cool. Olivia is singing all the time. I stayed home with her for about 8 months and worked at night... but now she goes to a bilingual preschool where they do half the day in english and half in spanish. Her spanish is really starting to catch on. She says mas, instead of more, and por favor instead of please. She knows most of her colors in spanish too. I took spanish for two years in school. I'm going to need to start remembering some of it to keep her encouraged.

• Members

now she goes to a bilingual preschool where they do half the day in english and half in spanish.

That's very cool. I don't know if there's any such thing in the UK (if there was, it wouldn't be half spanish- more likely french or something, although polish or urdu would be far more useful to most brits). I'd like my kids to learn other languages but neither of us is nearly fluent enough in anything but english to do that ourselves. I guess I'll just have to teach them guitar instead :idk:

• Members

That is really cool. Olivia is singing all the time. I stayed home with her for about 8 months and worked at night... but now she goes to a bilingual preschool where they do half the day in english and half in spanish. Her spanish is really starting to catch on. She says mas, instead of more, and por favor instead of please. She knows most of her colors in spanish too. I took spanish for two years in school. I'm going to need to start remembering some of it to keep her encouraged.

we want that she learns both of the languages of her parents, so my gf just speaks finnish with her and i only german and if she talks to me she uses german and when talking to the mother finnish.

this works pretty easy as long neither one of us mixes the language.

she is ahead with finnish, cause my gf could stay 20 months at home.

i was then able to stay the next 4 months at home until her second birthday and now she is in kindergarten learning even more german.

i guess we wait until she will be confronted with learning english, altough here its common to already give "english lessons" for two or three year old... :facepalm:

its really great that she loves music. she claps hands when listening to a live album and she hears the audience clapping :D

• Members

That's very cool. I don't know if there's any such thing in the UK (if there was, it wouldn't be half spanish- more likely french or something, although polish or urdu would be far more useful to most brits). I'd like my kids to learn other languages but neither of us is nearly fluent enough in anything but english to do that ourselves. I guess I'll just have to teach them guitar instead
:idk:

I don't think you need to be fluent. You just need to know enough to keep them encouraged. We live in the western US. You'll hear spanish out here fairly often. No one in my life really spoke it enough for me to keep practicing. most of the things I remember are ways to insult someones mother. Probably not the best thing to teach my daughter. :D

I've been trying to chat with some of the teachers at her school in spanish. It's helped, but I know my sentence structure and verbs are all f'd up.

• Members

Two years ago today was the scariest/best day of my life.

My daughter Olivia was born. The wife was in labor forever and eventually had an semi-emergency C-section. The wife was scared and woke up in the middle of being cut open. I spent the first few hours of her life holding her waiting for the doctors to put mom back together. Even then it took a few more hours for all the drugs to wear off to the point that mom could even hold Olivia.

Since then I've had little free time to read/post on HC. We were pretty lucky. She was sleeping through the night at 2 months. Rarely wakes up screaming. Potty trained at 18~19 months. She was walking/running at 9 months. Most of my free time is spent playing, reading her books and keeping her out of stuff. She know all her letters and numbers 1-10. She's starting to figure out what letters words start with. She loves music and will dance to anything from twinkle twinkle little star to Anarchy in the UK.

Anyway, here's a recent picture of her eating an awesome grilled cheese sandwich while we were out at dinner over the weekend.

olivia.jpg

Holy cow!! What a cute little girl!!! CONGRATS!!!

Archived