Definitive AC30 Fuzz Thread

• Members

So, I have the Timmy/Rat combo (which sounds amazing) that I run through the EF86 channel of my AC30H2. Now I'm looking for a fuzz that will sound equally amazing but have noted that AC30s are pretty particular regarding fuzz.

010.jpg

Tonebenders are known for sounding good and the BAT Pharaoh has a reputation. But what is the definitive fuzz/AC30 combo out there (specifically through an EF86 channel)?

Go

(Oh and I just realized how pretentious the title is. Sorry 'bout that)

• Members

Through that same amp/channel, I enjoyed a few different fuzzes. Namely a Swollen Pickle, IC Muff with the tone circuit defeated, and the Fuzz Face model on my M9. All great sounds, I'm not a big fan of anything buzzy or too shrill without the option to remove the fizz (had a Wooly Mammoth for a while that did just that). So there's the good and the bad, but the tweakable Muff circuits have given me the best results.

• Members

My Harmonic Percolator sounds badass through my AC15 (even before I did the bright cap mod). 1991 big box Rat also sounds good.

Analog Man Sun Face (white dot) just sounds ok through it. Sounds heavenly through my JCM800 style amp, but meh with the Vox.

• Members

every pedal I've tried with an AC has been taken like a champ. where does this notoriety come from?

yeah. this.

I've used all kinds of fuzzes and never had a problem. Here are some of my favorites: Penny Pedals Fingerprint, Zoom Ultra Fuzz, devi ever Never Drive, smallsound/bigsound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine, mid-fi Clari(not), Danelectro French Toast, Ibanez 60s Fuzz

• Members

I do like the Pharaoh a lot. I'm a big fan of fuzz faces in general with an AC, they go well together. Only fuzz I recall not really to my liking with my Vox (but i loved it with my Fender Blues Deluxe) was the Musket. Not sure why.

I'd like to get a Voodoo Labs Superfuzz at some point. And maybe an MXR Blue Box too. Also, my Micro Pog, FGC and Pharaoh combo are something to behold. Probably don't need the Blue Box because of this, but still...

• Members

The ac is quite healthy in the mids, so it's more finicky with OD pedals, but can still be a bit funky with the fizz. I used to run mine with a muff and through both it and my 800 for super explosive massive sounds.

• Members

Through the EF86 channel on my AC30H2 I've been switching between various Tonebenders, a BC108 Fuzz Face, a Foxx Tone Machine, a Russian Big Muff, a Swollen Pickle, and a Jordan Bosstone. I love them all.

Well hello there.

What if you could only have one of those? ANy experience with the Pharaoh through the EF86?

• Members

Well hello there.

What if you could only have one of those? ANy experience with the Pharaoh through the EF86?

:wave:

I'd probably pick either the Jordan Bosstone or Big Muff. I still haven't tried the Pharaoh--wtf is wrong with me?--but it seems like it would be a good fit.

• Members

It might be bacause my C2x needs fresh tubes and a full check-up, but it's not the most dirt-friendly amp I ever played. It's not bad either though, can't say it sounds meh with any of my fuzz peds. Swollen pickle, fuzz factory, fz-2, big cheese,...

My lstr sounds a bit too boomy/doomy and 'overthetop' to me lately, but that's got little to do with the amp. Which is why I'm trading it for a pharaoh, which I hope will sound somewhat clearer and not quite as muddy and 'sovtek muff' -like. Also just pulled the trigger on a black forest, which technicly isn't really a fuzz I suppose. Looking forward to that, cuz the only non-fuzz dirt pedal I had left was a Rat. Not a bad distortion at all, but impo at it's best in the Ruetz mod, which basicly turns it into a low/med gain distortion.

Archived