Almost a good NPD.

• Members

Traded a shop some gear for a EH Memory Man with Hazarai.

I was out of town, and out of time (running late for a show).........having played them before, I didn't even test it out.

Decided to go for the SMMwH since I just sold my EQD Ghost Disaster......and would have liked a delay with tap tempo and various options.

(I really wanted the empress VM superdelay, but I couldn't afford that)

Got it home and the Hazarai knob was slightly bent and the push button sticks down. :(

I'm contacting the shop to see what the best course of action is.....

Should I have it replaced, or go for something else?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Traded a shop some gear for a EH Memory Man with Hazarai.

I was out of town, and out of time (running late for a show).........having played them before, I didn't even test it out.

Decided to go for the SMMwH since I just sold my EQD Ghost Disaster......and would have liked a delay with tap tempo and various options.

(I really wanted the empress VM superdelay, but I couldn't afford that)

Got it home and the Hazarai knob was slightly bent and the push button sticks down.
:(

I'm contacting the shop to see what the best course of action is.....

Should I have it replaced, or go for something else?

I'd have it replaced. Might as well check it out at this point.

I'd have it replaced. Might as well check it out at this point.

I agree. You got a bad one, or one that had been damaged somehow - hey, it happens to the best of 'em on occasion. I'd take it back and exchange it for another one - try it out at the store first this time if possible. Might as well give a working version of the pedal you originally decided on a chance before passing it up for something else. Then, if you don't like it, you're already at the store and can try a few other options out.

• Members

The shop is 3 hours away, so it won't be quite as simple as a local deal......but they do have a very nice website with their inventory listed.

Dang, they already got back to me about and said it was fine to return for a replacement or something else. :)

As it is, it works.....I just have to manually press and pull the Hazarai knob to make it work like it should.

I messed around with it for 20 minutes when I got home. It is certainly a cool pedal, but I haven't had time to really understand how it works, and how to utilize it with particular riffs and styles.

• Members

Yeah, I wish I had had the time to test it before we left, but we were soooo late as it was. :o

It was locked in a case, so I assume they let people try it out from time to time.......I bet someone just dropped it or it fell off an amp or something.

• Members

I'm really thinking about the Interstellar Overdrive Supreme, Empress Multridrive, EH MicroSynth, or RE-20 instead.

I don't really need anymore dirt/fuzz/OD pedals. :o ....but those two are pretty cool.

The MicroSynth and RE-20 are also cool.

• Members

I'm really thinking about the Interstellar Overdrive Supreme, Empress Multridrive, EH MicroSynth, or RE-20 instead.

I don't really need anymore dirt/fuzz/OD pedals.
:o
....but those two are pretty cool.

If you get the Interstellar Overdrive Supreme, please post impressions :)

• Members

I love my RE20. It sounds like you are at a win-win position, although if I were in your shoes I would just get the SMMw/H to get it out of my system whether or not I wanted to keep it. If you have had enough though, sounds like you have some nice options to fall back on.

And I will shut up now.

• Members

I love my RE20. It sounds like you are at a win-win position, although if I were in your shoes I would just get the SMMw/H to get it out of my system whether or not I wanted to keep it. If you have had enough though, sounds like you have some nice options to fall back on.

And I will shut up now.

Yeah, I think so. The RE20 seems a little more straight forward compared to the SMMWH.

I have until tonight to play with the SMMWH, and then a few days to decide on what to do while it's in transit.

Seems like a really cool delay with a million options......:idk: a little strange to operate though.

For delay, there's the option of the DD-20 or the RE-20.....in my price range.....both seem like more practical options.

Basically, all I'm really looking for is nice analog delay with tap tempo. More options are just icing.

The RE-20 seems cool too.

• Members

Seems pretty awesome......raw and crazy.....

Yeah, I think so. The RE20 seems a little more straight forward compared to the SMMWH.

I have until tonight to play with the SMMWH, and then a few days to decide on what to do while it's in transit.

Seems like a really cool delay with a million options......
:idk:
a little strange to operate though.

For delay, there's the option of the DD-20 or the RE-20.....in my price range.....both seem like more practical options.

Basically, all I'm really looking for is nice analog delay with tap tempo. More options are just icing.

The RE-20 seems cool too.

I lied when I said I would shut up :D.

As I am sure you have read, some people complain about the RE20 always being on, even when it is in "off" mode. Personally, that has not been much of a problem, but I am also by no means a tone purist. The RE20 is a lot of fun and, while I would not make it my sole delay/echo, it is really solid. I have the DD20 and generally like it as a workhorse delay -- it covers a lot of bases and can for the most part handle my delay needs. It would be a tough call to pick between the two but I would decide based on whether I wanted a versatile delay vs. a straight forward delay. I think the RE20 does what it does well but the options are somewhat restricted to that. I don't mean it as a bad thing but it's more that it would not cover as much as the DD20, which on the other hand, doesn't particularly have one outstanding delay tone in my opinion. It does most of the basic delay modes fairly well but nothing that I find mindblowing.

I get the impression that the SMMw/H is more of a less predictable delay when comparing it to the DD20. I have to admit I have an EHX bias when I say this but, with the exception of the Small Clone and Small Stone, I generally like their effects for getting unusual sounds and the Hazarai does not seem to be an exception. I want to try a Hazarai at some point because it sounds fun and I have yet to really dip into EHX delays. From the looks of it, and judging from navigating the Flanger Hoax and Cathedral, there seems to be a learning curve to the Hazarai so it might require more than a day or two to really get to know all of its capabilities which I think is in contrast to the RE20 or even the DD20 to an extent.

Bottom line though, as I mentioned before, it sounds like you are in a good situation either way. Sorry that the Hazarai has some damage, getting a pedal and not being able to fully use it stinks, but I think it might all work out in the end.

• Members

Is the DD20 always on, even when it's off?

I'm not an extreme tone purist, but a major tone sucker pedal.....isn't a good thing.

That time when you play through your pedalboard....then direct....and go :eek::freak::mad:

That's what I've gathered so far too....the DD-20 is more flexible, the RE-20 sounds better for what it's intended to sound like, and the SMMWH is :idk: crazy?

• Members

Oh, in my experience the DD20 doesn't stay on like the RE20. I wouldn't consider the RE20 a major tone sucker but, like I mentioned before, I am not a tone purist. I hear you though, I do have some limitations, the RE20 just so happens to be within them. ;)

Yeah, your summary is fairly close to my general opinion on those three. I have yet to really try a Hazarai though.

• Members

I'm not too picky....so the DD20 is definitely an option.....

The RE-20 seems like it's more up my alley (spacy, washy, ambient), but it also seems really limited.

They also have a POG2 and Micro Synth which seem awesome. *tangent*

The Hazarai is my first "real" EH product......besides a Big Muff. I've never really been a fan, but they do seem to offer some really cool stuff. :idk:

• Members

I like the EHX a lot, I definitely recommend checking their stuff out (other than the Holy Stain and maybe some others). Not going to lie, I doubt I would ever keep the RE20 as a stand-alone delay, whereas I used the DD20 for that purpose for a number of years.

POG2 is supposed to be awesome and I bet the micro synth is fun as well. Your options still sound decent mate. :wave:

The Microsynth or something like it is definitely on my radar...

• Members

The really expensive EH pedals seem more appealing and more controllable than the lower end stuff. WANT, but cannot have.
:(

Up until now, I've mostly used a DE7 and a Digitech Reverberator....and they have served me well.....but doesn't have a tap tempo.

YES!
:rawk:
Can't wait!
:love:

All of my doors have been unstopped for a while now, it will be nice to get the doorstop back as well.
:D

I'm wondering how much different it is than the Bit Commander? I mean, besides the obvious myriad of options the Microsynth has.

Ah, the DE7. I am a big fan -- have three to kick around at home at the moment, tee hee. I take it you opted against keeping the Hazarai?

• Members

Ah, the DE7. I am a big fan -- have three to kick around at home at the moment, tee hee. I take it you opted against keeping the Hazarai?

I messed around with it a little more yesterday, and I wasn't as impressed with it as I was when I tried them in the past. It's not bad, but doesn't jive with my style as much as I had thought it would.

I'm still not sure what to replace it with......I'm definitely not getting another dirt pedal...:D So delay, or funky at this point.

Archived