I want my tone but more growl and snarl

omni

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Serious suggestion. Way Huge Angry Troll.

Already suggested, but you might have lost it in the sea of omni posts. Honestly on the first page I thought he was having a conversation with himself.

• Members

Already suggested, but you might have lost it in the sea of omni posts. Honestly on the first page I thought he was having a conversation with himself.

Yeah, I kind of skimmed. So this was a bad choice? Seems like the right pedal to me. Possibly also a Wylie Ironstone.

• Members

For a while, I owned an FEA Labs "Growler". I was looking for an overdrive sound on my bass, but I didn't want any distortion. The Growler added an extra harmonic to the signal, giving the sound more girth and growl, but without distorting. If the OP is wanting more growl and girth, but not actual distortion, I highly recommend layering harmonics and octaves to you sound.

Seriously, try a different speaker or even tube combination.

A speaker swap can have a huge influence on the way the amp sounds - this is actually a very good suggestion to consider IMHO, but the problem with it is finding speaker(s) that are very similar to his current one(s), but with more snarl and growl. There's also the question of their relative efficiency - if the replacement speakers are significantly different in that regard, the volume level of the amp will be affected; more efficient speakers will sound louder while less efficient ones will sound quieter, even if they tonally have more growl and snarl.

IOW, IMHO this suggestion has merit as a possible solution to your problem omni, but would require significant amount of research, testing and work on your part, and with no absolute guarantee that you'll find speakers that you like better than what you already use. But yes, speakers make a HUGE difference to the sound and response of any amp - probably as much or moreso than any other single factor.

if you want more growl and snarl, buy a dog. if you want better guitar tone, ditch the rectumfrier.

I've been trying to be nice... some folks really like them a lot, but while I've recorded a bunch of them, I've never been that crazy about the way they sound. :idk: A lot of it is the way that many people dial them up, but even when I tweak them myself, I'm not fully satisfied with what I get either. And I've owned several Mesas over the years, so it's not like I don't "get" and like their amps.

But what you or I think of the amp isn't important - omni seems to like it. :) He's not looking for a drastic change in his sound, just "more" - gutsier, with more snarl and growl. Or was that more growl and snarl? Anyway, more attitude. I suspect more sparkle and harmonic complexity too, with a dB or two of added level for the nice psycho-acoustical "louder is better!" adrenaline kick, but I don't want to try to speak for the man... but that's kind of what it sounds like to me. And the thing is, I'm not sure what he's hearing in his mind's ear, so I can't really tell him how to get it.

Talking about sound and music can be difficult. It's frustrating for all concerned because words are insufficient to describe the sounds we can hear or imagine.

• Members

didnt read all the posts/suggestions... but in my duo recti time i always playd with tube screamers in front. Sure the most time for boosting... but if you set the amp right you can turn the drive/gain on the tube screamer a bit to "color" the tone in a good way.

in my experience is the rectifier not a really "easy" amp - you can get a lot from this amps - but the tweaking is way "different" IIRC. i changed pretty fast to a rivera Knucklehead at that time. ...paired with a JCM800 a. a reverb deluxe for the cleans... w00t. :cool::D

• Members

I don't want to try to speak for the man... but that's kind of what it sounds like to me. And the thing is, I'm not sure what he's hearing in his mind's ear, so I can't really tell him how to get it.

"Hey guys, what's this tone I hear in my head?"

Kind of like guess the number I'm thinking of, but without any incentive

• Members

If there were a pedal that barely changed the sound and yet made it better, almost everyone would be using it. It can be hard to add something without losing something.

Omni dismisses entire categories of pedals out of hand. This makes it even more unlikely he will find what he is looking for. True, 9/10s of any pedal category are ones that do too much at any setting. That leaves a few hundred possibilities.

Real suggestions:

Check guitar for 250K pots; changing one or both to 500K opens up some top end.

Dirt with clean mix -- almost all clean in front of more dirt can add extra seething sound (and lots of sustain).

Chorus with mix level (effects loop) -- too many use choruses to kind of smooth off the sound, but can have some good effect on distorted tones.

Amp tweaks.

Sonic Stomp -- FWIW, is aimed at this application.

• Members

I use a JCM900 cab, I used an 800 vintage and a basket weave with greenbacks. I have tried 5150 cabs. A couple of others. I like the JCM 900 I have just fine. It's one of those things where you have that elusive tone in your head. I like old 70's Schenker tone pretty good but not enough lower mids. VH II had some pretty cool tones bit again not enough lower mids. I have tried a LOT of pups, including EMGs and some Duncan active sets. Since I don't play out anymore maybe I just can't open the amp up enough without the fuzz coming by. I bought my first dual recto in1995. I have always gone back to that sound. I hate it on modern though. It never moves from vintage mode. I use Mesa tubes. I have tried JJ, Ruby, Fender,GT,Sovtek,EH and a couple of others I don't remember..Svetlana. I don't notice really any difference in power tubes. Preamp very little difference. Maybe I am just crazy. LOL! *Rolls around floor hysterically screaming*

Archived