I want my tone but more growl and snarl

omni

Omni, I noticed you mentioned "not enough lower mids" a few times. Have you ever considered trying a parametric EQ? They work differently than a graphic, allowing you to adjust not only the exact frequency you want to boost or cut, but also the bandwith around it - how narrow or broad the EQ curve will be. They're pretty powerful tone shaping tools, and in cases where you are lacking low mids, or want a bit more sparkle in the highs, they can be a great tool for helping you get that. Stick it in the effects loop and dial it up to taste. :)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A speaker swap can have a huge influence on the way the amp sounds - this is actually a very good suggestion to consider IMHO, but the problem with it is finding speaker(s) that are very similar to his current one(s), but with more snarl and growl. There's also the question of their relative efficiency - if the replacement speakers are significantly different in that regard, the volume level of the amp will be affected; more efficient speakers will sound louder while less efficient ones will sound quieter, even if they tonally have more growl and snarl.

IOW, IMHO this suggestion has merit as a possible solution to your problem omni, but would require significant amount of research, testing and work on your part, and with no absolute guarantee that you'll find speakers that you like better than what you already use. But yes, speakers make a HUGE difference to the sound and response of any amp - probably as much or moreso than any other single factor.

I am going to side with these guys. My cabinet right now was an act of insanity in some peoples minds. It started out in life as an old Univox 4x12 with Alnico-magnet "UniVox ProMag Bass Guitar Speakers".. On a whim, I picked it up cheap and had the speakers re-coned, but to my spec's. Basically, they have the lighter cone for guitar, but were made to still travel as much as they would with bass frequency.

The result was a tone so throaty, nasty, and pissed off, I sold my Marshall cab.

• Members

I wish I could. I don't even have a mike, I sold em all. I only had 2 57s that I used. I could use my iRig thinger but that is not my amp. Just think of a Les Paul into a Mesa on vintage mode high gain, lots of mids.

Phil Yes, I have tried an EQ, I'll borrow one from a friend and try it again.

• Members

I guess if you bought your first recto in 95 then it was a dual channel. Reading the thread, i was wondering what kind you had. I like mesa amps and have had a few. I was going to suggest trying one of the old two channel versions over the three channel newer ones. It's a much more expensive suggestion than a pedal, but i've found them to have a lot more of that magic than the three channel rectos. You may have a different opinion though and certainly have your own experience if you've owned one of the old ones already. I also got more of what i would call growl and snarl when i got a cab with vintage 30's after owning one of the jcm 900 cabs for a while. You may have tried that too, but i loved it with my old dual rectifier. It really added some bite to the sound. Good luck.

Cool - when you do, please do me a favor. Dial up a really narrow bandwidth boost, turn the amp down a bit and sweep it across the frequency spectrum. Make notes and write down the frequency setting of any sounds that either appeal to you (hey, I want more of THAT in my main guitar sound) or annoy you (yeah, I've got too much of THAT in my sound), or that just jump out at you and grab your attention, and then tell us what you found. Also, try the same sweep, but with a very broad bandwidth boost... see if adding a bit of that in the upper mids helps you get a bit more snarl.

• Members

A quick cheap and easy fix.. If your Les Paul has those pretty nickel plated pup covers on them, take 'em off.. In a lot of cases, they've scattered the magnetic field enough that when you de-solder the attachment and pop 'em pff, you will get a nice little boost in the axe's testicular fortitude...

• Members

Cool - when you do, please do me a favor. Dial up a really narrow bandwidth boost, turn the amp down a bit and sweep it across the frequency spectrum. Make notes and write down the frequency setting of any sounds that either appeal to you (hey, I want more of THAT in my main guitar sound) or annoy you (yeah, I've got too much of THAT in my sound), or that just jump out at you and grab your attention, and then tell us what you found. Also, try the same sweep, but with a very broad bandwidth boost... see if adding a bit of that in the upper mids helps you get a bit more snarl.

I'll try it again. The eq that I had was old 70s Ibanez pedal. Maybe early 80s. also the newer Boss EQ. I should have kept the Ibanez one.

• Members
BTW, an EQ (graphic or parametric) may not be the solution for you, but it may help us define what frequency ranges Mr Growl and Ms Snarl live in...
;)

I'm starting to think they only live in my head.:lol:
Oh well..

• Members

A quick cheap and easy fix.. If your Les Paul has those pretty nickel plated pup covers on them, take 'em off.. In a lot of cases, they've scattered the magnetic field enough that when you de-solder the attachment and pop 'em pff, you will get a nice little boost in the axe's testicular fortitude...

Been their done that. I likes my purdy covers.

• Members

Wow that strat is long gone..

That's a sweet setup, though that jmp is more up my alley these days and i'm a les paul guy. I'm sure with 50 watts you're able to get the tubes cooking well enough. I used to have a rack version of the dual rectifier which i loved. I don't know if the lore about the rackmounts being better is true, but that was a great amp. It was from the same era and i'm sure yours sounds pretty close. Do you use the tube or solid state rectification? I found the solid state to seem a little less muddy at higher gain settings.

• Members

It sounds to me like you are describing a peavey 5150. Anyway, I've never had much success with getting a rectifier to sound how I want it to.

NO!!! I had the head and the combo.. then I had the head modded for some bias thing and it turned into mud.

• Members

Tone hunting is a bitch...

So basically you're looking for a mix between Randy Rhoads "Tribute" tone, SRV's grit, and a touch of old EVH....

*sniffs* me too..

Think VH ll with a nuke attached.

Archived