Wish I had a box full of HM-2s.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've got one on the shelf, but it's intermittent. It could work in a studio situation but not gig worthy.

People say Boss stomps are indestructible but I have two or three vintage ones that are pretty unreliable.

• Members

Fair enough, I'm just commenting on my uses. Interestingly enough though, I always felt the HM-2 was thuddy and boomy in comparison to a Rat and looking back on it now after trying a good many fuzzes since I think it would fall into the distortion realm more so than fuzz. I've always thought the HM-3 was the more straight up fuzzy of the two.

Never tried an HM-3. It might well be more fuzzy than an HM-2. I've never really considered an HM-2 a fuzz anyway, like some people here. I definitely consider it a distortion. But it does have some of the blurry texture I like from fuzzes.

Weird about the boomy, thuddy thing. That's the quality I've always found in Rats and could never get along with. There was just something about the sound that said "cock rock" to me. I've just never gotten that with the HM-2. Maybe you could get it by boosting the bass, but I've always been able to dial in a distortion sound that fit well with my rig, one that sounded better with jangly open string stuff than what I was able to get with the Rat.

• Members

I got my HM-2 for $40 last year and I saw a few in the SPAM thread over the past few months in that ball park range too.

I recorded my HM-2 a little while ago to so I could hear the pedal a little more clearly.

I know that the HM-2 has a particular sound, but what does everyone think about how the HM-2 sounds with different types of amplifiers? Does it manage to sound pretty much the same? I've got no reference to what the HM-2 sounds like through anything else other than my Pathfinder.

• Members

I read up about a mod that makes the pedal operate normally with a regular power supply so I did the jumper mod.

http://jorgezorro.blogspot.com/2009/12/boss-aca-to-psa-power-supply-mod.html

I usually set the pedal with the distortion almost all the way off. I had read in some older threads in the forum that some users like to set the pedal like that.

Archived