Wish I had a box full of HM-2s.

• Members

It's pretty horrible, like a not-quite-as-over-the-top FabTone.

I agree. It's cool for a kind of raw, trashy sound but IMO it's definitely not worth that kind of money. I'm curious what has made them go up in value so much so quickly. I got one for $60 about two years ago and that was a pretty high price at the time and it's not like the death metal/shoegaze thing is new information. I like it for the $40-60 price range (although I'd still take a Rat 2 or NYC Muff over it) but for $100-180 you can do a hell of a lot better.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's pretty horrible, like a not-quite-as-over-the-top FabTone.

i had a fabtone once. didn't sound anything like the hm-2, imo. for all the people who claim it's like a fuzz, the hm-2 does pretty well with open chords and wide voicings. couldn't say the same for the fabtone.

• Members

I agree. It's cool for a kind of raw, trashy sound but IMO it's definitely not worth that kind of money. I'm curious what has made them go up in value so much so quickly. I got one for $60 about two years ago and that was a pretty high price at the time and it's not like the death metal/shoegaze thing is new information. I like it for the $40-60 price range (although I'd still take a Rat 2 or NYC Muff over it) but for $100-180 you can do a hell of a lot better.

You can do better, but can you find anything similar?

• Members
  • Members

You can do better, but can you find anything similar?

For what I was using it for a Rat would be similar but better for the HM-2's lower gain sounds and and a Muff would be similar but better for the high gain portion. Either would do reasonably well for the other but it wouldn't sound quite spot on. The Hardwire Distortion and the Devi Ever Torn's Peaker can be dialed in to sound similar too. Obviously if you want the HM-2 sound you should get an HM-2 but really the "tonal quality" or what have you is probably about on par with a DS-1. It has its uses I suppose but it's definitely not an Earth shattering pedal.

• Members

For what I was using it for a Rat would be similar but better for the HM-2's lower gain sounds and and a Muff would be similar but better for the high gain portion. Either would do reasonably well for the other but it wouldn't sound quite spot on. The Hardwire Distortion and the Devi Ever Torn's Peaker can be dialed in to sound similar too. Obviously if you want the HM-2 sound you should get an HM-2 but really the "tonal quality" or what have you is probably about on par with a DS-1. It has its uses I suppose but it's definitely not an Earth shattering pedal.

Had a couple of Rats. They were alot different, tonally, from the HM-2. I guess you could make them sound similar, but I never got anything as ringing and fuzzy with the Rat as I get in the HM-2's sweet spot. The Rats always seemed too thuddy or boomy.

I've owned alot of Muffs and while the HM-2's texture is Muff-like, I've never had a Muff that handled chords so well at higher gain (save for the Skreddy Ernie, but that was a completely different feel than the HM-2, more edgy, sharp, where as the HM-2 is rather more soft and organic feeling with chords and ringing note bits).

Had a couple Torn's Peakers. Couldn't dial in a tone I really felt was very similar. Actually, one of the TPs I had could dial in an amazing fuzz/distortion tone, still not like the HM-2 really, much more raw and biting, but it sounded great. Unfortunately, I stupidly sold it and none of the other TPs I've had could do the same. They do some nice damaged muffy sounds, but it's definitely more scrambly fuzz-like than what the HM-2 does.

Never owned a Hardwire Distortion.

• Members

Had a couple of Rats. They were alot different, tonally, from the HM-2. I guess you could make them sound similar, but I never got anything as ringing and fuzzy with the Rat as I get in the HM-2's sweet spot. The Rats always seemed too thuddy or boomy.

I've owned alot of Muffs and while the HM-2's texture is Muff-like, I've never had a Muff that handled chords so well at higher gain (save for the Skreddy Ernie, but that was a completely different feel than the HM-2, more edgy, sharp, where as the HM-2 is rather more soft and organic feeling with chords and ringing note bits).

Had a couple Torn's Peakers. Couldn't dial in a tone I really felt was very similar. Actually, one of the TPs I had could dial in an amazing fuzz/distortion tone, still not like the HM-2 really, much more raw and biting, but it sounded great. Unfortunately, I stupidly sold it and none of the other TPs I've had could do the same. They do some nice damaged muffy sounds, but it's definitely more scrambly fuzz-like than what the HM-2 does.

Never owned a Hardwire Distortion.

Fair enough, I'm just commenting on my uses. Interestingly enough though, I always felt the HM-2 was thuddy and boomy in comparison to a Rat and looking back on it now after trying a good many fuzzes since I think it would fall into the distortion realm more so than fuzz. I've always thought the HM-3 was the more straight up fuzzy of the two.

• Members

I have yet to hear a demo that sounds good. lol.........well, minus that kid that does that MBV song.

QhJ9pAnSTug

You obviously have to be in to this sort of thing, but to me it's :love:

Archived