Wish I had a box full of HM-2s.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Shoegaze launched a thousand bad post rock bands who each in turn launched another thousand people who aspire to be in bad post rock bands.

Swedish metal bands are still plugging their fuzz pedals directly into the mixer.

What's the deal with MIJ Boss over MIT? I never really understood it, other than "MIJ is better because it's better".

• Members

So they're actually good?
:idk:
just not appreciated in it's time??

Well, they're one of those pedals that doesn't sound really good, but rather it sounds awesome. Sorta like the FZ-2, theoretically they're bad, but they just sound so {censored}ing kick-ass when you dime everything and play loud as {censored}.

Plus you can get some decent sounds if you don't dial it in like a jackass.

• Members

I've bought four HM-2s over the past few years. Never paid more than $50 for one. The one I have now, I got for 29.99 a few months back. It's a great pedal. Beautiful fuzzy distortion that works great for Swervedriver riffs.

I always hear people talk about it as its this surprise pedal that mostly sounds like crap, but just works for one sound, and I don't get it. Dave Gilmour, Swedish Death Metallers, Jerry Garcia, Adam Franklin, that guy from Godflesh, Dean Garcia, and supposedly Eric Clapton have all been reported as using these things. That's a pretty broad list of styles represented there.

• Members

I never understood the love for either the Boss HM-2, or the MXR Distortion +; I have my originals from the early 80's, and neither one sounds that great.

Give me a Barber Dirty Bomb over both of them, 10 times out of 10.

They're definitely not for everyone. The Dist+ doesn't have a whole lot of volume and the HM-2's gain control has a huge dead zone between about 10 o'clock and 3 o'clock. I just got lucky that both of those pedals fit nicely into my rig. I've seen guys use the HM-2 and sound like ass, its all dependent on your playing style.

• Members

One of my favorite tones is a vintage rat into a Hm-2.

In college, this - plus a Boss CE-2 - was my everything. Bass into a Peavey SS head and Ampeg 8x10 or guitar into the string of MusicMan and Fender Bassman heads I cycled through, did not matter. Non-LED Rat and HM-2 all day, every day.

Archived