I played an Excelsior today...

I live in New Mexico. We have a small (44% of the state population) Latin community here; I'm familiar with norteno (good for you for knowing how to keystroke a tilde). Still think the person was attempting a joke.

Either way, you could have a sousaphone input, and I WANT A DAMN SPEAKER OUT. Is it too much to ask, Phil? Is it? Nah, it's not! And not only ain't there no reverb, there's not much room to add one y'self. Pfeh, I say, to the Excelsior. Mark my words, it won't sell.

Well, Rev would probably disagree - he bought one and really digs it. :)

However, I too share in some of your concerns. For me, the lack of a real tone control is worrisome. As far as a speaker out jack, that's super easy to install, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that, although I do agree that it would be a nice feature to have. The split electronics configuration of the Excelsior is kind of quirky, and like you said, it makes mounting a reverb into it harder unless you mount the tank on the side of the cabinet. I'm not sure if there's space inside the chassis for the driver and recovery circuits, the reverb transformer, pot / knob, etc.

However, it's a cool looking amp, and it apparently sounds good clean (at low volumes) and breaks up in a cool way as you keep turning up the volume knob. Those qualities would make an amp a good choice for recording. The lack of reverb is much less of an issue in that environment. The missing speaker out is probably a bigger drawback, since it prevents you from easily using a different speaker. That would be the first thing I'd add if I owned one.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It looks cool; I do think that cosmetics are a worthy point of evaluation.

I guess I felt like sonically, it was a two-trick pony (trem and tube breakup at lower volumes than a Twin). Yeah there's the brand name and funky case, but think the price point's a tad high for what is IMHO a sonic creature that would be better represented as an effect pedal than an amplifier. With the Champ 600 well under $200 ... just sayin'. BTW, I really enjoy thinking about pricing strategies and marketing, so tell me to STFU when you need. Not trying to be argumentative, I freaking love product development.

"Thou shalt plug thine guitar into the accordion input" ... I've plugged guitars into very strange places. Accordian inputs are just fine.

I imagine there's someone in a foreign country who will get ahold of this and not be able to translate "Accordian" online and use that input for everything. It's fun to bat around as conversation, I'm just saying for all the effort FMIC designers put into this, the feature configuration disappoints me.

Don't wanna be Negative Nellie, let's stop and think about all the different aesthetic hits FMIC has been issuing lately (offset Squiers, recent AVRI's, pawn shop amps) and applaud their design achievements. Significant, IMHO.

• Members

Oh I'm not trying to be argumentative (sorry if you feel I've been sniping you). But forums are here for discussion and I don't feel like this amp is total fail at all. Sure a champ 600 is cheap, but then you have that horrible tiny speaker. So you put it in a new enclosure with a bigger speaker....now youve put in as much as you would to get the Excelsior, which has more headroom and trem to boot. I think at least for Fender this is a win in that its not more of the same

• Members
Well, Rev would probably disagree - he bought one and really digs it.
:)

:thu: Yes I do :thu:

Almost 3 months with this amp now and I have zero complaints. For reverb I either use an EHX Holy Grail or (when I'm feeling cork sniffery) I whip out my Van Amps Reverbmate. Its all good. :cool:

I also own a crap load of Fender amps from the Champion 600 (bought 2 of them so I could stereo out :) ) up to and including the Custom Shop 57 Twin Hand Wired Reissue and pretty much one of everything they make in between. The Excelsior is worth the asking price. The only thing I can't speak to this early in the ownership of this amp - is reliability. Time will tell. Rock on & everyone have a great 4th of July!

:wave:

• Members

I really want to hear one in person.

I've got one. It's nice for what it does and it's priced so that you can buy it for the cool sounds it gets within it's limited range and use it recording and stuff without regretting it. I paid like $250 for it and I had a $100 credit at the shop so I ended up plunking down the extra $150 and took it home.

I've got one. It's nice for what it does and it's priced so that you can buy it for the cool sounds it gets within it's limited range and use it recording and stuff without regretting it. I paid like $250 for it and I had a $100 credit at the shop so I ended up plunking down the extra $150 and took it home.

Thanks for the input... that's kind of how I view it; as a home use / recording amp more than any kind of "gigging" amp.

• Members
Thanks for the input... that's kind of how I view it; as a home use / recording amp more than any kind of "gigging" amp.

Yep...although I was surprised how much mileage I could get out of it with a fairly loud band when I paired it with my modded Blues Jr. and ran a stereo delay and a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET in front of it. It was a pretty sexy sound. Not as loud or clean as my main rig but it just had a groovy vibe that was really doing it for me. :)

• Members

I genuinely enjoy honest differences of opinion; when it gets to the "you're a jerk because we disagree" I lose interest. If everyone felt the same about everything, forums would bore.

This is a fun thread ... in no small part because I love Fender amps, and love offbeat gear. Anyone wanna talk about the trem?

• Members

I genuinely enjoy honest differences of opinion; when it gets to the "you're a jerk because we disagree" I lose interest. If everyone felt the same about everything, forums would bore.

This is a fun thread ... in no small part because I love Fender amps, and love offbeat gear. Anyone wanna talk about the trem?

The trem was a deal sealer for me. It just sounded "right" to me. It's a bias trem. It loses focus when you drive the amp hard so you'll want to keep it reasonably clean to get the goodies, but it sounds great. :thu:

Well said - and I agree completely! :phil:

It seems to sound pretty darned good based on the clips I've heard, but again, I kind of wonder how much the lack of a level knob would bother me. Maybe not as much as the lack of a tone knob - after all, when I want trem, I usually want it to be pretty heavy and obvious... but sometimes, you might want something a bit more subtle, and I don't think you get a choice with a single knob tremolo.

• Members

I got to play one with a tele and was pretty impressed with its clean sound, i thought the total lack of controls would kill it but really it sounded pretty good clean although i didnt get a chance to turn it up to hear it break up a bit.

Archived